Author Topic: La Jolla area 411  (Read 2857 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
La Jolla area 411
« on: November 05, 2012, 09:16:36 AM »
Yo guys, calling out the SD crew. I'm trying to plan a weekend getaway and thinking of La Jolla for a few reasons (not necessarily surf related.)

What's the vibe there at the local breaks, or do we just go North and stay North County?

I'm want to hang with some friends who live down in SD, take some new folks out for a beginner session and hopefully sneak out for some waves in the mornings close to the hotel (5 mi. drive or less.)

Feel free to PM me and if any of ya are in town and wanna hook up, let me know. AJR, I'm lookin' at you. ;)

gtcali

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: La Jolla area 411
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 02:35:15 PM »
Vibe isn't bad.  If you go to the Shores you have everything from beginner foam boards on up.  The surfers get better as you move toward the pier.  Last time I went there, the crowds seemed to be gone.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 02:40:20 PM by gtcali »

Bklyn2Oahu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 05:57:03 PM »
+1 For La Jolla Shores.  Can't go wrong there.
14' Naish Glide

Ke Nalu Maliko

Mana Karma

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 06:12:23 PM »
Cowboy, I can dial you in from la jolla through pacific beach.  There are a few spots, mainly lj shores, tourmaline, and random beach break where you can always get waves, and find other SUSers in the line-up, so no big hassle or negative vibe.  There are many other spots in the near vicinity that get really good with the right conditions, reefs that like W-NW, and the crowd/atmosphere can vary from peak to peak.  I often find myself as the only SUS or among 1 or 2 others, and sometimes the proners can get damn aggressive.  I generally go where I know everyone, unless its really firing.  If you can handle yourself in the line-up I'll send you there... That being said, I've had more than my share of "Strand Leper" moments in the line-up (btw, that is an adjective in the SUP dictionary, look it up).

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 06:43:58 PM »
I've been SUSing alot at Gator Beach on the Silver Strand...it's a (mostly) closed out beach break, but I surf it pretty much free and clear due to restricted access on a military base.  It's good for learning SUS basics and improving skills, without sweating the crowds or negative vibes.

Give me a shout by PM if any SUZ SUP'rs want to meet up in Coronado for Gator Beach SUSing and/or open ocean paddling South along the Silver Strand.

MAX

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 08:58:43 PM »
Excellent guys. I'll PM before I head down. Looks like there's more of the family coming so I might be further South than I was thinking.

Love to hook with some Zoners for a session.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal