Author Topic: Paddle shaft cutter..  (Read 4555 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Paddle shaft cutter..
« on: November 05, 2012, 04:49:15 AM »
At $39. this may not be something you want if you have 1-2 paddles to lengthen, but it takes about 30sec .. no ragged ends .. zip-zip.

It's a 6" chop saw from Harbor Freight.  Item #69438

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paddle shaft cutter..
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 07:01:49 AM »
Very cool. What a steal!

ocSUPer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 07:13:11 AM »
It is probably more about the saw blade a less about the saw-- is it a metal cutting friction blade, or a wood finish-cut blade?

Surfer44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 07:29:09 AM »
I wouldn't use that on my shaft. Like ocSUPer says, "it's more about the blade".They make very thin blades for dremel tools or just tape where you want to cut and scribe a pencil line and take your time with a fine hack saw blade. The tape stops splintering.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
 but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:
"WOW, what a ride!!!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 08:26:18 AM »
^^ What he said. I've cut a few hundred paddle shafts and I don't use a power tool even though I have chop saws for both metal and wood. I sometimes use a precision hand molding saw that I happen to have, but I feel like I'm not doing the best job when I use it.

The best way I've found is to wrap two turns of electrical tape where you want to make the cut, then wrap another turn on top of that for masking. Use a fine blade hacksaw and guide it on the tape ledge around and around, first scoring and then cutting the shaft. Doesn't take long and you get a perfect edge. Touch it up with a little sanding (fine), glue on your handle. Take the masking layer off to remove any glue slop but leave the bottom layer in place to keep the edge from splintering.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 09:27:31 AM »
I understand the critics..  That is why I cut 1 inch off - before I cut the next 8. (I thought about tulip ends)  No tape - I simply marked the spot with a grease pencil.

The included blade is 2mm wide - metal cutting. (no teeth)   My large cutoff saw has a 4mm blade.  The ends on either side of the cut are perfectly smooth.  ...and I did not dally - just cut it.   ..nor did I dress the blade.  Prior, I used this small saw to cut light stainless rod.

Jim   
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 10:11:28 AM »
That's a great price, harbor freight is pretty amazing for some things. I bought a folding utility trailer from them for less than what I could buy the steel to make one, never mind the wheels and hitch. I also got a fast-release vise there fairly cheap that is just excellent. My metal cutting Milwaukee saw was about $800 and the blades for it are $200. Of course it will outlive me, but for the right jobs HF have some really useful stuff.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stylo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 05:09:48 AM »
PonoBill - I used to do that but thought there must be a way to save some valuable minutes of my life so experimented and found a carbide edged blade on a chop saw to be successful (still wrap a piece of masking tape which I put the cut line onto).
Cheers
Adam

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 01:54:36 PM »
I understand the critics.  

I don't.

That tool is perfect for carbon shafts.  You are obviously just being polite.

As anyone that has ever used them will attest, tools designed to cut wood or metal (with a table and fence) will cut carbon like a HOT knife through butter.  

Crisp, clean and square.  Carbon blades (at high rpm to boot) are extremely fine, hence the smooth finish.    

Hack saws?  If that's all you have, go for it.  Buy the highest TPI blade you can afford, with minimal set.  Hardware stores often have a wooden miter box bouncing around.  That will give you a table and a fence.  

Sheesh.

^^ What he said. I've cut a few hundred paddle shafts and I don't use a power tool even though I have chop saws for both metal and wood. I sometimes use a precision hand molding saw that I happen to have, but I feel like I'm not doing the best job when I use it.

The best way I've found/

Absolute madness.  When you get back to Maui I'd be happy to show you.     
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 02:05:44 PM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 07:32:47 PM »
I prefer to use one of these as a cutting guide

http://www.parktool.com/product/threadless-saw-guide-for-carbon-composite-forks-sg-8

with hacksaw and fine-tooth blade

Haven't cut many paddle shafts but have done my share of CF fork steerer tubes etc. Masking tape to prevent splintering/fraying and a drip-drip of water to lubricate the cut and keep the dust down.
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 08:31:53 PM »
All three of mine were done on a tailgate with a hacksaw without a fresh blade lol. No bad results yet. Couple wraps of blue tape right at the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1medic

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 09:50:10 PM »
I prefer to use one of these as a cutting guide

http://www.parktool.com/product/threadless-saw-guide-for-carbon-composite-forks-sg-8

with hacksaw and fine-tooth blade

Haven't cut many paddle shafts but have done my share of CF fork steerer tubes etc. Masking tape to prevent splintering/fraying and a drip-drip of water to lubricate the cut and keep the dust down.

Me to. I've cut many carbon shafts without issue.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal