Author Topic: My 20 miler... with a few pic's  (Read 4968 times)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
My 20 miler... with a few pic's
« on: November 04, 2012, 06:56:55 PM »
No surf this a.m.  Well, ripples at Creek... but nothing to speak of.  So I took advantage of the time change, the beautiful weather, and knocked out a twenty miler.  Took four hours of paddling time.  I am a little pooped.

Loving the 2012 carbon Naish Glide... it is such a versatile board.  The last two miles or so were tough.

Enjoy the pics.

Dana Point, to North Laguna and back.  Phone was in a waterproof sack because I don't trust my Lifeproof anymore... and because I broke it this morning... so taking pics was a pain in the butt... so not as many as I would have liked.

Stopped at Scandia Bakery in Downtown Laguna for some quiche (eat the middle, feed the crust to the birds)... managed to avoid the Snickerdoodle cookies... used their lemons and stevia to make the energy drink...

What did I see this morning?  Lots of fish.  Groovy beach shacks... houses that looked like they belonged in Rhode Island... Some folks doing Tai Chi... etc.

Amazingly beautiful morning.  Stoked about the time change cuz I am going to poach a few in the 5-6 a.m. shift tomorrow morning before work.  Oh, and loving some office space at the North end of Laguna Canyon Road... gonna try to lock that in this week... I am envisioning the wife dropping me off at main beach on the way home from work... and me riding the wind the rest of the way home.

Enjoy the pics of a beautiful Indian Summer morning here in paradise.
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: My 20 miler... with a few pic's
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 07:02:31 PM »
A few more pics...

Just a great way to start the day... shoved off at 6:30, rolled back into the beach at 10:30.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

kneecap

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 07:53:27 PM »
That's so cool!  I guess you're getting a head start on training for the Catalina trip!

After getting super micro at Bolsa this morning with my brother and nephew, I pulled  a 10 miler in Newport Harbor, 3 with #1 son, 7 solo on the fat Hovee I did the BOP on.  It was such a perfect day, we drove the coast past your house before hitting the 5.  As I hit CdM south, all I could think of was paddling home.  It was so glassy, so warm, so perfect and in November! I'm stoked you got a huge helping of that.  We're some pretty lucky dudes.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 08:16:40 PM »
More detailed thoughts about your Glide after being on it for 20 hours?  I am thinking about getting one and would really appreciate your comments.  What other boards did you consider?   
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 08:20:32 PM »
Nice photos, Tim.  What a great route for scenery, and my favorite--buildings.  Also nice to see you're getting the distance paddling bug. 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 08:59:15 PM »
20 is very long in flat water and I woulda devoured all that bakery had to offer... crust and all.    Thanks for the pics and thanks for your stoke.  Did you go solo?  That'll get your mind right.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 09:02:15 PM »
Thx PDX...as u know, the diversity of the architecture on the Laguna coastline is unprecedented. When u get down here, I can give u a guided tour... And supply board and paddle.

Raven,

The glide is incredibly versatile. Fast enough, stable enough, light enough, and doesn't surf badly.

I've ridden faster boards, more stable boards, and lighter boards... But this board seems to do everything well, without killing my thighs. I could really envision paddling this board on a ten hour tour... IMHO, it is a one board distance quiver.

I keep three different fins for different disciplines / conditions. Takes less space than three 14 foot boards.

I almost grabbed D Kalamas board this morning, but wanted to just cruise and take pics, and not get wet. Mission accomplished.  His SIC / imagine proto is very fast for a DW board, but is pretty narrow and a little unstable.

Head,

Went solo... It was rad!

SL

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 05:16:41 AM »
SL
Quite a trip!
Thanks for sharing the tour appeal of Standup... endless potential.

20 miles!!!....sounds like you are priming for a CCBC appearance in 2013!?!
You would love the whole event experience....

Perhaps an Right Coast Timapaloosa on Cape Cod the next day... meet the New England Zoner crew.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 06:25:28 AM »
SL,
20 miles! Very nice. I bet it only felt like 16 ½ when you have a beautiful morning like that.  ;D
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 07:10:37 AM »
SL, Thanks for your response.  That is exactly what I needed to hear!!  It is essentially not possible for me to find a place where I can demo boards.  So I have been scouring the write ups on various boards and have just about concluded that I want a 14 Carbon Glide.  It might give a up a tiny bit in top speed for stability (width) and down wind prowess (front rocker), but does have a unique combination of capabilities that really appeals to me.  As a plus it is a beautiful light weight, durable board that comes with a bag.  I really enjoy doing long distance paddles.  I can not imagine doing a 20 miler on a board that was not comfortable.  Reading your write up gives me a lot of reassurance that this would be a good choice for me.  I really do not like the idea of having footwells like some of the more single purpose designed race baords.  They seem to lock you into position.  I have thought about getting the GS AST model, which has a lot better price point, but I just think that I would enjoy getting the carbon one more, knowing that I go the top of the line model.  That is the way I like to roll.  Looking to sell my Raven cheap.  If I don't get a take sooner, I may just keep it and pull the trigger.  I have seen the 2012 Carbon Glide for $2168 delivered from California Kiteboarding.  Please let me know if you know of a better deal.  Thanks!!               
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 07:11:31 AM »
SL.

Congrats - a very impressive run. Give me a holler next time and I'll have an espresso waiting for you at the turn !

What fin are you running for the distance stuff ?

Cheers,

D.

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 05:35:58 PM »
Wow, those are gorgeous conditions for a long paddle, great use of a waveless morning.  I sure wish I had them yesterday
Obfuscation through elucidation

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 01:19:11 PM »
That looks killer, we have had the perfect November the weather hot and glassy and a solid week of head high plus surf ;D

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard