Author Topic: Wooden SUP  (Read 11222 times)

keala

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wooden SUP
« on: July 31, 2008, 02:10:59 PM »
not mine, unfortunately.  but it is so beautiful i just wanted to share with you all.  my friend in Kailua (oahu) is making himself a wooden SUP and it looks phenomenal.  its not done yet but he has pics of his process here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25134156@N08/

he has a writeup of it on Tree to Sea forum here:
http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714

the other boards on that site are amazing too.  definitely worth a peek.  :)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Wooden SUP
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 06:20:51 PM »
I see he followed Andy's plans. Nice build...I'm going to have to try that someday.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 03:05:31 PM »
Nice..I would love to see pics when it's when finished.

DJ

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 11:06:17 PM »
did you get that race board you were thinking about? ???

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 04:48:09 AM »
That's a sweet board...I'm a sucker for natural materials.  How much would that board weigh when all is said and done?

I have a SurfTech longboard (not a SUB) 9'6" Johnny Rice design that has a wood laminate finish.  It's very pretty and wweighs very little.  Superlight for its size.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 07:35:26 PM »
My 11'-6" Waveyarder weighs in at 36 pounds, a bit more when the pad and final coats of varnish are on.  I could definitely shave some weight off of that now that I understand how these boards go together.  Heres a link to the whole story, all 11 pages...   http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=554&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 12:20:24 PM »
That is SO sexy Andy. My wife and I are considering selling our current home and moving (walking distance to the water I hope, even if it means a tiny house). I do have on my list of wants a garage/workshop so I'll have room for bigger projects....and the 1st if it happens will be a wood SUP. Great stuff.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 07:31:19 AM »
Bob,
You can build one of these on a porch, in a carport, in a "spare" room, etc.  No need to wait...

When you decide to get started, ping me and I can give you some tips that will help you to avoid some of the mistakes I made along the way.  Last night I pulled the tape and installed the fins.  All that's left to do is cut and install the pad, and I'll be out there paddling!

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 04:35:46 PM »
Andy,

Awesome board. What are you going to do for a pad? Seems a shame to put a standard foam pad.

chingbaby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 05:19:59 PM »
That's awesome!  I vote against a foam pad.  Maybe just wax it?

Davy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 07:55:47 PM »
That's awesome!  I vote against a foam pad.  Maybe just wax it?

ditto

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 09:18:19 AM »
I'll definitely contact you when I get ready to do it. I really don't have any room to do it now though. Even building paddles is a hassle in the space I have to work in. Most of my woodworking is confined to summer months when I can work outside under the awning on my shed. The shed is full of tools that get moved out as I need them so there isn't any room to work inside except for very small stuff. Like I said...next house needs a good workspace.

My vote is for wax too.
Bob

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 08:33:28 AM »
Here's a few shots before and after installing the deck pad.  I made my own custom pad using Hydroturf, which looks good, but unfortunately hides a lot of the beauty of the board.  I built it to paddle and surf, so practicality of the pad won out over aesthetics.  I'll post a more comprehensive photos set and review when I have more time.

Byronmaui

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 10:36:33 AM »
Andy

That has to be one of my favorite back yard boards I have seen. Congrats on a job well done.

Aloha

Byron

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 11:00:39 AM »
Aloha Andy,
That has to be one of my favorite back yard boards I have seen. Congrats on a job well done.

I TOTALLY AGREE........Awesome job! :D

Aloha......Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal