Author Topic: Paddled with the kayaks yesterday  (Read 9498 times)

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paddled with the kayaks yesterday
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 04:40:54 AM »
I have Knee paddled once and I know the feeling of burning legs.  I plopped my daughter on the front of my board and was a little uneasy at first so I I was on my knees.  We stayed around the dock.  I only paddled maybe about 50 yards and when I stood up my legs were toast.  Now this was about 1 month after I started.  Now I'm much better at SUPing and don't think I would have to kneel with her on the front.  Not going to try it in the cold water though.

I too had never seen a SUP in person before I built mine this summer.  I like to build things and thought it would be a good summer project for a family vacation at the beach.  At first I was going to build a longboard but thought at my then current fitness level suping would be easier.  It was a 11 ft. surf style board.

Well four months later and two new boards later I'm pretty into it and was even in my first race last weekend.

My dad lives up by DC and look forward to exploring those waters sometime.

ADKSUPr

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 06:09:55 AM »
Wow Celeste - what a trip!  Nice board too.

I've only experienced very choppy water once so far and I pretty much "white knuckled" it.  I don't think I would have been able to keep up the paddling long in those conditions.

ADKSUPr

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 06:32:36 AM »
I had another thought.  I'm a new SUP'r too (2.5 months, but have over 160 miles under my belt).  I've considered strapping a kayak paddle to the board in case I'm not sure I can handle it standing up (for example, in heavy chop or to give my feet a break on very long paddles - I have issues with foot numbness).

I used to sit on a windsurf board and paddle it with a kayak paddle and that worked well.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 07:23:41 AM »
ADK-Practice choking up on your paddle even in good conditions.  Even if it is just a little bit.  When you paddle on your knees, you'll be fine.  It is like using gears on a bike.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 10:20:54 PM »
Knee paddling is terrible. I get the whole sore back, legs shaking, cramping thing every time I'm forced to knee paddle for long distances. I'm not sure if it's harder to simply put your head down and gut out the wind or get on your knees. I will almost always stand occasionally just to stretch out.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 05:08:11 AM »
Knee paddling is terrible. I get the whole sore back, legs shaking, cramping thing every time I'm forced to knee paddle for long distances. I'm not sure if it's harder to simply put your head down and gut out the wind or get on your knees. I will almost always stand occasionally just to stretch out.
For sure Stoney, in warmer weather I would have just put my head down and kept hammering at it, I find satisfaction in beating the wind on my terms,  but in this case, air and water in the 40's, I was at the edge of my knowledge envelope, so was not willing to push my performance envelope.  I am just learning about what kind of cold water gear I need and what works for me, in my conditions.  I now know I was only marginally prepared, so have added warmer boots, warmer gloves and a hood.  Last week I did not feel I could risk another fall without adding worry or shortening  someone else's day. 
Obfuscation through elucidation

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 05:40:49 AM »
For sure Stoney, in warmer weather I would have just put my head down and kept hammering at it, I find satisfaction in beating the wind on my terms,  but in this case, air and water in the 40's, I was at the edge of my knowledge envelope, so was not willing to push my performance envelope.  I am just learning about what kind of cold water gear I need and what works for me, in my conditions.  I now know I was only marginally prepared, so have added warmer boots, warmer gloves and a hood.  Last week I did not feel I could risk another fall without adding worry or shortening  someone else's day. 

Sounds like you made all the right decisions.  Cold water/air are conditions that pose a serious risk.  I always carry a dry bag when I paddle in winter.  In addition to creature comforts like food and liquor, extra dry warm clothing options are nice to have, lighter/matches, ziplock full of dryer lint/fire starter, cell phone, first-aid  etc. 

Kayakers don't mind waiting around once you breakout the fire and whiskey.  In fact, they'll start calling you every trip. 

mtmilam

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 07:56:53 PM »
That is a Beautiful Board Celeste!!!!  Looks like its good for Flatwater....I'm looking to do some Flatwater in the Winter also, but in La. its a "wet" kind of cold :D :D...I may use some of my Kayak gear and Sailing gear combined....haven't figured it out yet. But the new Mistral 14 inflatable is not quite as stable as my Hobie, And I may go for a swim :D

Mark
Hobie 14' Elite 2012
BOTE HD 12' 2012
14' Mistral M1 race inflatable
Red Board Race 12'6" inflatable
BOTE Breeze 11' inflatable
Red Paddle 12'6" explorer inflatable
Tower 12'6" race board
Hobie DuraDUP

supthecreek

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 08:36:24 PM »
mtmilam
Looks like you need to put the last picture in the " SUP carrying vehicle" thread ;D
Sweet ride!

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 03:30:37 PM »
this weekend was the antidote for last weekend.  Today we were back on the Potomac, south of Alexandria.  we paddled down past Mount Vernon, George Washington's home

And up Dogue creek

To ol Georges grist mill/ distillery.  Yep, father of our country and bootlegger

Where we disembarked for lunch

In the wide mouth of Dogue Creek, we say this

And his/her mate
Obfuscation through elucidation

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal