Author Topic: Paddled with the kayaks yesterday  (Read 9500 times)

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Paddled with the kayaks yesterday
« on: October 28, 2012, 11:13:56 AM »
Yesterday was a joint meetup between SUP DC and Washington Kayak Group on the Occquan reservoir.  There were 5 standups and maybe 30 kayaks.  This is peak foliage color week, so it was beautiful.

We were pretty outnumbered

but did get a few kayakers on on boards at lunch

Pete a level 3 kayak instructor even traded a kayak or 2 for his semi new Zepher.

And they there was the scenery

I really enjoyed paddling with them, to often when I paddle with other people, I find myself hardly paddling so I don't run away from everyone, but yesterday I was able to paddle as I wanted and never felt like I was running away or leaving someone alone.  I managed to finish the paddle with that euphoric "I can hardly stand up" feeling, and I really needed it.
Obfuscation through elucidation

surfniels

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • surfniels.blogspot.com
Re: Paddled with the kayaks yesterday
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 11:24:04 AM »
Sounds like a good workout and with these beautiful colours  !
Thanks for posting  ;D

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 11:26:28 AM »
This belongs in the fall foliage thread.  Stunning pics.  Thanks.  

I haven't seen the fall colors like that since the World Series when I was in upstate NY during the '86 Mets- Red Sox... ball between Buckner's leg series.  Great memories.

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 11:32:42 AM »
This seems like a really good year for color, we don't have as many maples here in the mid-atlantic as they do up north, and our colors seem to be more muted for it, but we do our best and I think this year is a special one.  Or maybe it is just that I am out more on the SUP and notice

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 11:37:09 AM »
This seems like a really good year for color, we don't have as many maples here in the mid-atlantic as they do up north, and our colors seem to be more muted for it, but we do our best and I think this year is a special one.  Or maybe it is just that I am out more on the SUP and notice
I notice weather and the seasons 10x more now than before standup.  Some things I'm very aware of now--river levels, currents, wind direction--I never noticed at all before. Even what time it gets dark.

And headmount--mentioning Bill Buckner is a thread hijack in the making if I ever saw one.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 11:43:18 AM by pdxmike »

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 12:02:14 PM »
I like all the different colors.  The trees are nice too. :)

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 03:31:30 PM »
Knee paddling sucks

Paddled with a kayaks meetup group today, this time I was the only SUP.  We launched across the Severn river from the Naval Academy, crossed the river, up College Creek, through the Academy, then up the river to Weems Creek then back diagonally across the river to our launch site for a total of about 7.5 miles.

The weather report was for less wind, but that did not happen, well into the double digits and with a few miles of fetch.  The chop was mid shin high on a very short period. it started out our of the north west almost straight out of the mouth of Weems Creek, nice DW for the return home. I understand the water temp has dropped more then 10 degrees in the last two weeks, mostly from Sandy,  and it was a "wet/drysuit only" paddle.  Despite that, the leader stated at the start meeting that if anyone fell in we would call the trip and head back and that we would try to keep a tight group due to conditions. 

Well a few hundred yards from the launch site, paddling across the chop, trying to stay with the group and not find a path that suited a board better, I got caught off balance by two waves closer together then usual, tried to catch my balance and ended up on my back on the very back of the board, which promptly upended and slid me off.  I was none to happy I really did now want to call it a day, and surprisingly no one suggest I should.  Figuring I could not risk another fall or I was going to shorten someone else's day being accompanied back, I knee paddled across the river to where I could turn south and a short DW to College Creek.  I turned south and stood up, my legs did not feel right under me, not as strong as usual.  Is the cold sapping strength? I don't think I am really cold, not sweating but not uncomfortable, 

Well I drop to my knees again in the Maytag water at the mouth of the creek and on them up the sheltered waters of the creek.  At the turn around point, I stand again and paddle that way to the mouth of the creek, when the increased wave and wind action started, my right leg started to quiver like I was shivering, very strange, I think my core was sweating by then.  Thinking that the extra exposure to the wind is sucking heat from my extremities I drop back to my knees for a long hard up wind paddle. 

Now I figure I need to generate some serious heat to combat the chill of the wind, so while I was having no troubles keeping up with the pack of kayaks, now I was mirroring who ever was leading right up to the lee shore of Weems Creek where I beached my board to stretch my legs.  As soon as I was on my feet, my legs were shaking.  Then it hits me, my sartorius muscles in my inner thighs are burning, they are the source of the shaking, they are exhausted,  They hurt the first few times I paddled, but they adjusted, but on my knees I am using them harder then standing.  So once I wore then out crossing the river at the start I was doomed to my knees the rest of the day, unless on very flat and sheltered water. 

We paddled up Weems about 1.5 miles then back out to cross the river, but now the wind had moved to much more northerly and the paddle back across was not going to be a fun DW, but another cross chop slough with the chop at almost a perfect 90 degrees.  For the first time, it was good to get off the water, because knee paddling sucks!!!

I did manage to win some board respect from a bunch of kayakers that looked incredulously at me and my board at the start, a few "never seen a board keep up" comments,  and one "I don't know anyone that could do what you did today, if nothing else your knees would give out"

I'll post some pics as they become available.

kneil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »
Hey Celeste I did the same paddle in Annapolis today at about 9 this morning by myself, had no idea there was a meetup group.  A little less wind, but I could see it building.  Had to break out the wetsuit pants and booties this week, no fun because I notice my balance is greatly diminished when I cannot feel the board with my bare feet.  I live and paddle in Annapolis daily, sometimes we can get a group together here too.

PS -kayakers are funny, they seem to fall into two groups re SUP, "That looks so cool" and "Why would anyone want to stand up???"  The second group are usually the gear heads, decked out like they are on a mission to Mars while I am in nothing but board shorts.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Paddled with the kayaks yesterday
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 06:18:47 PM »
Celeste, I call it "jackhammer leg" and it's much worse to get it half way up a rock wall. There's a parallel to kayaking about staying loose - once you flip or swim your confidence is gone and you tighten up, which makes it much more likely that you'll flip again. The anxiety from cold air and water turns me into a statue for the first half of my paddle. If wearing a drysuit, I just jump in and am able to relax after that.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

mtmilam

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 07:14:14 PM »
Celeste,
Have you ever tried a Small ice chest to sit on, instead of your knees??....I know it sounds funny, but Man, do they work great for long distance and touring, specially if you have wind...Its comfortable to paddle sitting on it, I even put a cushion, and you can store water or food in it....or a Beer :D... I glued two little tie down thingy's to my board, I just cut out the pad some and they are almost flush to the pad....I then made a loop of kevlar thin line to which I pass a strap to hold each side of ice down, incase I flip.  The ice chest is narrow enough when I can put a foot on each side and still be on the board, in case I have to walk behind it.  I just bought a cheap rubber made model and painted it beige.  :D.

You can see it behind me here

My daughter had the bigger ice chest, mine has the Green top cushion. ...she brought the Beer. :D..for the Cajun paddle cruise. 6 miles or so.

Mark
Hobie 14' Elite 2012
BOTE HD 12' 2012
14' Mistral M1 race inflatable
Red Board Race 12'6" inflatable
BOTE Breeze 11' inflatable
Red Paddle 12'6" explorer inflatable
Tower 12'6" race board
Hobie DuraDUP

rkdjones

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 12:09:57 PM »
I've certainly been forced to my knees on occassion, but never for an extended period.  I paddle an open canoe, mostly on my knees, so I have mixed feelings about the ergonomics of kneeling.  I put together a kneeling stool for my board, but do find the position to feel a bit unnatural.  I think some sort of inflatable saddle (canoeists call them pedestals) could be useful for those on longer excursions in changing conditions.  I haven't ever seen one, but seems like a good idea.  Robert 

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 03:53:13 PM »
Pic's as promised
Reaching the lee shore of Weems Creek

Stretching at the head waters of College Creek

Best pictures I have of the graphics on my hull.

Yeah, something to sit on would have been nice, even a yoga block, but this was a new experience for me, so the learning curve was steep.

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 07:21:47 PM »
Celeste
As someone who does a lot of cold weather paddling, I see a flaw in your outfit.
A nice warm cap that covers your ears is a must on windy, cold days. There is significant heat loss through your head.... and ears need protection from the wind.

Other than that you are styling on that very sweet board. ;D

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Paddled with the kayaks yesterday
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 02:59:41 AM »
Celeste, I call it "jackhammer leg" and it's much worse to get it half way up a rock wall. There's a parallel to kayaking about staying loose - once you flip or swim your confidence is gone and you tighten up, which makes it much more likely that you'll flip again. The anxiety from cold air and water turns me into a statue for the first half of my paddle. If wearing a drysuit, I just jump in and am able to relax after that.

Agree, there are far more parallels between kayaking and sup for inland paddling
than coastal paddling/surfing and sup.  Inland sup paddlers could learn a lot of valuable lessons from canoe and kayak paddlers.   Of course, the school of hard knocks is always taking new students.  It is a paddle sport and less about the vessel. 

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 04:07:30 AM »
Creek, yes on the head covering, but it was not suppose to be all that windy.  I need to make a paddling bag with the things I need to cover all/most eventualities, like my snowboarding board,  But, I just started paddling less then 4 months ago, so I am still learning what those things might be.  Before I started building my board I had never even seen someone paddle a SUP in person.  I am in the steep part of the learning curve, especially with the weather change.  The vast majority of what I have learned, I have learned here or where you guys have sent me.  Little learning takes place with ones mouth open, so I will continue to sit quietly and sponge up the collective knowledge.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard