Author Topic: Fitting deck leash plugs.  (Read 6249 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fitting deck leash plugs.
« on: July 31, 2008, 06:33:58 AM »
I have been asked about fitting deck leach plugs and the other day when I fitted mine I took a few pictures...It's not that hard to do.

In the past I've used a cheaper option by using a splade type drill but because the foam core gives the drill center no support it wobbles making an uneven hole.

It's no big deal if the plugs are going to be under the deck grip like mine were but it may look a bit messy if in the deck area..unless you're going to paint them.

This time I used the right drill for the job..A hole saw drill..and it gave me a nice neat hole.

The deck plugs cost about $5 each..It's sometimes hard to find someone to sell them to you...I got mine from Oak surfboards.

Once the hole is drilled I make some smaller holes to the sides in the foam to act like tree roots..and then half fill with 5 min Aroldite..and tape the plugs in place.

Once the glue has gone off I mix some more and carefully top up..and once that's gone off I slice them neat with the surface of the board...Job done.

This is the exact way most pro's do it..It can be sanded and painted if you wish.

I might put 4 or 6 in the deck of my big Naish to use for carrying stuff.

These two plugs are just for mounting my paddle to the board so I can keep two hands on the board while carrying it...Even in no wind days as I carry my board across the busy Beach Road St Kilda it just takes a big truck to zoom past and the wind from it make holding my board difficult because the wind blows it around.

These plugs could be put in boards like the Kalama that don't have a hand hole and you could use the paddle as a carry handle.

DJ

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting deck leash plugs.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 10:38:55 AM »
Very slick. Most pros put a layer of glass on top to eliminate leaks, but other than that, it looks great.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 11:22:48 AM »
I've been too chicken to drill into my 12-6. I'm going to completely refinish the board soon though and I think it's time to do it. I'd like to put in 6 up front for strapping down gear. Nice job DJ, thanks.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

jjue

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 03:14:54 PM »
Speaking of  deck leash plugs ,  anyone use the Ez  stick on plugs ?...  i noticed that  that on  the   report on the  Vancouver Island   expedition  , the guy used    these plugs  to lash his gear to the front of his board  ...   

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 12:52:17 PM »
I've used the EZ plugs as leash plugs on some very heavy old longboards, and they've held up after several years now.  They have performed much better than I expected.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal