Author Topic: 7 mile excursion on a Surf SUP  (Read 7312 times)

supthecreek

Re: 7 mile excursion on a Surf SUP
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 12:05:52 PM »
bluecoast
I saw this post after I responded to your comments in the Frankenstorm thread.
Sounds like things are gonna suck for a long time around the Jersy shore...

Do not underestimate the power of a good flat-water cruise...
It heals the soul and purges the static of daily life.... you have a lot of great places to paddle in the Bay area... a little tour now and then might be just the thing!

Bring a camera... keep us updated to whats being done... and how you folks a handling it.

bluecoast

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 01:56:46 PM »
Thanks supthecreek. I'm hoping to try and get out this weekend but pretty much any entrance to launch is blocked off. Police and the National Guard are patrolling the bay and restricting access to boaters and pretty much anyone on the water to prevent looters from entering LBI. I'm gonna have to find some lakes to paddle!

jerseypaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 02:05:55 AM »
Hey bluecoast- was gonna call you Saturday, but our road trip was last minute thing.... my buddy and I loaded the boards up and drove around to see if there were any launch spots. didn't think there was any access down by you so we headed up toward Bayville. Got to one roadblock and asked the police if we could park over by Berkeley park to launch. He looked at us kinda like we were nuts but I guess we didn't fit a looter profile..!

Berkeley island park got hit hard, amazing how much of our bay sand and mud is every where. Did a quick 4 miler up cedar creek- not too much damage, a few boats sunk, some docks crumbled but homes seem to fair well.Very humbling seeing the folks cleaning up-  after asking if they needed a hand, gave them the thumbs up , they smiled as we paddled along...

Returning to the park we were approached by the police again- after he checked us out (hard to loot plasma tvs on the deck of a sup) he asked how things looked from our vantage point...

This storm changed the face of our iconic jersey shore- but we are JERSEYSTRONG- we will rebuild...better than ever and the beauty of our shores will shine again..

supthecreek

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 03:22:54 AM »
Jersey & Bluecoast
The best thing about the Jersey shore is the people... this will really bring the neighborhoods together.

Maybe you can bag all that sand in souvenir containers and sell it as "Sandy sand" in a fund raising effort. ;D

You should start a Jersey Shore thread, and keep us updated on damage and recovery from the SUP deck. Bring a camera.

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 08:28:49 AM »
Thanks Rick for reminding me of another way to enjoy paddling. 

A great Hog Island trip is to paddle up into the marsh on an incoming tide and then ride it out; one of my more memorable outings.

RC

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal