Author Topic: New C4 boards arrived  (Read 5634 times)

Pueo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New C4 boards arrived
« on: August 21, 2007, 07:55:41 AM »
Anyone get  the new C4 boards?
heard they are going like hot cakes. 
Parmenter  shapes are  amazing.  Him and Brian K are difinatly  the fathers of High proformance SUP's design. 

Blane Chambers

Re: New C4 boards arrived
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:00:18 AM »
You are right...   If anyone wants one its best to get out there right away!    I heard the shipments were pre-sold for quite awhile so whatever are in the shops needs to be picked up quick....   I was still involved with C4 when these plugs were being made.   Dave spent a lot of time making user friendly performance models.       These boards work good in a variety of conditions.

Aloha,
Blane

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com

SUP for fun

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 12:05:01 PM »
 Just got back from visiting HI and saw and tried the new C4 10' Wow these guys have done a super job on this design, and Boardworks construction and finishes are some of the best I have seen.     Tried to get one here in So.cal but I guess they sold out in 1 week and more coming shortly.
Heard scuttle that  they have 4 more Parmenter High Proformance BoardWorks  boards 10' to 9'  coming out in Sept.  similar to the ones being riden by C4 team riders and  Brian K, Dave P ,  Todd B  .      Would love to meet Dave someday, Dave P is an amazing shaper with a pedagree as a Prosurfer with Rusty and a shaper  that goes back for years, it is only natural that with his shapiing knowledge and his envolment as a SUP surfer he would be the  inovater of  the modern SUP  shapes as he has.   Just look at his testing grounds with Brian K.   As far as I can tell from the blogs he and  Brian K were pretty much the guys that started the High proformance SUP at Makaha.  Can't wait to see these HP  rippers too.

iwaterman

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 10:01:13 PM »
If you're looking for C4's in SoCal, check Bob's Mission Surf in Pacific Beach or Legends Surf in Carlsbad.

Also, Randy has posted my review of my 10' C4 in the product reviews section of this site, which I wrote about a month ago and the board just keeps getting better as I figure out it's subtlties.

I can add only one thing to that review, and that is in regards to the robustness of the paint coat.  You must baby this board in that regard.  Definitely put the mastick tape on your paddle and don't smack the paint with anything harder than it.  If you don't want to deal with babying the board, get a hand shaped version.

These pop-out boards are as Blane says - they work in a variety of conditions and are fairly high performance.  BUT...when it comes to the ultimate in high performance, Blanes shapes are the ones on the cutting edge.  Ikaika has proven this true with the latest images of him at Teahupoo - absolutley mind boggling, and a testament to Blanes shaping prowess.

~Aloha~

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 04:45:16 AM »

I can add only one thing to that review, and that is in regards to the robustness of the paint coat.  You must baby this board in that regard. 

~Aloha~

Strangely, my Surftech Rawson 6'2 chips paint anytime it bangs into something, yet my JL 11 footer gets beat up good and the paint doesn't chip near as much.

Whatever they are doing with paint in the Vietnam factory Jimmy uses, they need to do in the Thailand factory Surftech is using.

Was the C4 built in Thailand or Vietnam? Just curious if my theory has merit.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 05:43:00 AM »
That is interesting. 

I think that many of the makers encountered some production hiccups on the first boards that they recieved.  This may have more to do with materials within a factory, then between factories.  If I recall correctly Jimmy beefed up his construction after his earliest run, learning and adapting from user experiences.  Way to go.  Some of the newer entries that are just now seeing their first production models may need to go through the same process.  With the addition of paddles to whack these boards with, I think some of the initial assumptions that existing surf production "skin" construction would be durable enough has been proven incorrect.

In this video on the C4 site http://c4waterman.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=167&Itemid=37 that looks like a new prodcution swallow tail shape, doesn't it?

It seems like the C4 boards were delayed for quite a while.  Did they ever show up anywhere in quantity?  The Maui shops were still waiting when I left.  To my knowledge, none of the Maui shops have seen any of these boards.

Andy

• Waikiki Status
  • www.Air-head.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 09:57:40 AM »
The shippment of C4's should hit the UK next week..... I cant wait to get my hands on these babys.

Reading the info you guys have put up is a great help on what to expect, has nayone got info on JL v C4... shape, ride etc etc

thanks and ride safe

Andy

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 01:35:17 PM »
just to add my 2 bits -- i have a fairly recent jimmy 11 and it seems to me it chips pretty easily.  at least, i know i have chips all up and down my rails and a few on the top as well.  i know lots of people care about this stuff but me, i never have; I bought it to ride and i really don't care how beat up it gets as long as it's water tight, which my chips are ... i think ... and hope.

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 01:56:46 PM »
My SOS is banged really har all over and it just doesn't show. Light and super strong! /Jesper

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 03:16:15 PM »
This has been suggested before but works really well.  Go to an auto parts shop and buy the door edge moulding (less than $3.00). It fits great on your padddle blade and self adheres.  It will definitelly help protect against chipping!! I've been doing this for years on my waveski paddles and quickly realized I needed to do it to protect my Standup Paddle Board...Try it, I think you'll find it is an inexpensive solution to constantly worrying about damaging your board :)....

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 03:26:17 PM »
i used that stuff on my waveski paddles, and i have it on my SUP paddle, too.  even so i still chip away at the board.  hey, it's all in how you do it and i must be doing it just right to get all the chips i got!

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 08:20:54 PM »
not suggesting its the perfect answer....but this will significantly reduce "chipping" at low cost, particularly with sharp edged carbon paddles... no doubt, better stroke technique developed with experience is the best long term solution ...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal