Author Topic: Frankenstorm, aka Sandy  (Read 51713 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: Frankenstorm, aka Sandy
« Reply #150 on: November 02, 2012, 09:34:57 AM »
I feel like an idiot that I didn't think of him. I'll try to get an e-mail out, or maybe a Facebook message since my e-nail is still out.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #151 on: November 02, 2012, 09:48:26 AM »
Nice pics Rick. I'm so bummed to miss all the surf we've had...still sick as a dog...on antibiotics and using an inhaler as of this morning so I'll be out for awhile.. Is that Mark Angililo in pic #7?....looks like his stance.

Good to hear from zoners as they check in and getting updates about what's really happening. So sad to hear about the devastation and especially the loss of life. The story of the Mom and two little kids being turned away and sent back into the storm is particularly bothersome to me. How do you do that?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #152 on: November 02, 2012, 09:59:28 AM »
pics on this thread are mind blowers-tempered by the thought of all the destruction, still no word from guys like Ried and Newton?
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2012, 10:10:24 AM »
Great photos Creek, looks like one of my favorite spots just a click down the path from Doane Rock?

Conditions look unreal, but don't be fooled. The shorebreak is nothing short of punishing.  Getting through that and out to the good stuff takes patience, strength, timing and the ability to sustain a few beatings along the way.  Suffice it to say, when the Cape gets good, it gets good, but you have to earn it for sure.

Ditto on the report from Bluecoast.  I've got family all over Jersey, including the shore, and the reports of utter devastation are real.  It's not just buildings, boats and stuff that's been altered forever, it's the land, the lives, all of it.  Help any way you can, donate to Jettylife, the Red Cross, etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2012, 11:54:32 AM »
Andy... you got it ;)
Still good today, but not pounding...
I had a nice 2 hour session before work... Had a blast...pretty good waves again ;D

Stoney... It may be Mark A... I had to leave before he came out, but I heard that he was there.
It does look like his Starby... and he got barreled... so it probably was him!
Feel better Bob!

bluecoast... I have spent a lot of time at Seaside Heights and Toms River... I love the beach community there...the people are so friendly....My friends have an oceanfront cottage... they got lucky... the berm held, but I can not believe what happened to the rest of the town... just blasted away by waves and sand.
I am so sorry for what happened to you folks down there... I hope they are allowed to rebuild (on stilts)

I wish you all the very best!!!!

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: November 03, 2012, 08:44:09 AM »

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 03, 2012, 09:40:11 AM »
Nice pics Rick... Damn I knew I should have went up there for photos.

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 03, 2012, 05:35:27 PM »
Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know because I haven't seen anyone else post from my area (LBI, NJ) yet but as I'm sure you've seen from photos and the news that pretty much all of the barrier islands of NJ have been completely devastated. My house is about 1/2 mile from the Barnegat Bay and I'm one of the lucky ones to have it still standing, no flooding and I have power restored.  I consider myself extremely lucky. Homeowners and Business owners on Long Beach Island still have not been back to their homes to assess damages and most likely won't be for another week or more. The National Guard are there now protecting homes from looters who are trying to enter the island by boat under the cover of darkness....it's bad. There are new inlets, gas fires, sand everywhere, boats piled up like toys, gas and oil spillage and devastating bridge damages. Our beautiful beaches, waterways and fishing is destroyed as we know it.

I just wanted to let you all know since there isn't a huge NJ presence on this board what is going on. There's so much destruction it looks like a war zone over here. There is a huge surf community along the Jersey Shore and especially Long Beach Island. Local surf/clothing company Jetty has designed a relief t-shirt which will go to the victims of the storm and aid rebuilding the area us New Jersians know and love. Check out jettylife.com to donate.

If there is anyone local to me (Waretown) that still doesn't have power, hit me up for a warm shower, place to stay or even to recharge your cell.

I lived on LBI for many years and still go back every year.  A couple of my friends stayed on LBI during the storm.  All are still there with some amazing yet sad photos.  I have been getting others to support by getting the Jettylife tshirts.  Its a great tshirt and will go to those people on LBI. 

They need all the help they can get as it is going to be a long road to recovery.

Bklyn2Oahu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: November 03, 2012, 05:48:45 PM »
The storm had P R pumping also.
Wilderness about maxed out, 10-14' plus, for a while there.

I saw Wildos break much bigger than that and hold perfectly in February 1999…..Two guys out trading huge rights into a huge rip that spit them right back into position.  Awesome to see that place break that big!
14' Naish Glide

Ke Nalu Maliko

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: November 03, 2012, 06:52:39 PM »
Just heard from Reid. He's fine! He had damage, and his car is ruined, but he's okay. He has almost no access right now, but he's with his parents helping them out.

I feel better now.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 03, 2012, 08:05:12 PM »
My family has had home on LBI NJ for over 50 yrs and I'm glad I got a chance to got back this summer.  The past week has been a real rollercoaster hearing from friends who got away and scored great surf up & down the coast and others who stayed and suffered major amounts of damage. 

I want to give props to Ken from South End Surf n Paddle in NJ who rode out the storm and is still on the island helping out with the recovery efforts driving dump trucks full of sand.  I hear he got some water in the shop but he's still got boards for sale.  I don't know how much business he's going to get from the National Guard this week but hopefully he's offering some good discounts.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

bluecoast

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: November 04, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
Ken at South End is a great guy. Looks like his shop fared well considering how much flooding was on his street... It's great to see how many people are coming together in our area. Shelters are flooded with donations and people are helping each other out with cleanups. It's incredibly sad to drive around and see people throwing their belongings out.

Jetty is doing amazing things. They've already donated $8000 worth of water and food and dropped off 30 or so air mattresses to local fire departments since they were sleeping on concrete floors between shifts.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: November 05, 2012, 12:45:57 PM »
things are bad,,, real bad.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #163 on: November 05, 2012, 05:02:11 PM »
things are bad,,, real bad.
Good to hear from you Newt!
Hope you and your family are ok-im thinking things are probably less than great.
Wishing you a speedy recovery my friend...
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 05, 2012, 05:11:58 PM »
Good to hear from you Newt and thanks for contacting Reid, Ian. Continued thoughts and prayers....

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal