Author Topic: Frankenstorm, aka Sandy  (Read 51562 times)

supthecreek

Re: Frankenstorm, aka Sandy
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2012, 04:09:07 PM »
Hey Dangerous Dan... nice shots!!
Better use of a Go Pro... you get a much better view of the action
I like the Foam Wrap ;D

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2012, 04:28:18 PM »
This is such a weird feeling.  Half the people I talk to are so nonchalant and don't think it's going to be anything more than a tropical storm and some are saying it's going to be equivalent, if not worse, to the hurricane of 1938.  Total opposites.  The weather channel radar pictures make this thing look insane.  Feels as if nowhere on the east coast is really safe.  We got mandatory evacuation notices this afternoon where I live but I think I'm going to ride this one out.  And for whatever reason, my office is going to be open tomorrow, says my boss as of 5 minutes ago.  Great.

Newlyaddicted

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2012, 07:44:30 PM »
Nice GoPro pics!!!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2012, 08:20:29 PM »
My boss sent out a text at around just after I posted that graphic...office is closed tomorrow. Work at home if you can....be safe.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:42:09 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2012, 08:29:15 PM »
Been watching local NY/NJ news online...Does not look good. Flooding is already happening and they are no where near the worst. I think this storm is going to take many lives. Too many people not evacuating. NOT GOOD!!!
Custom Infinity BLine 7'8 x 26.5 89l
Custom Infinity BLine 7'11 x 28 97l
Custom Infinity Asym. Gun 8'10 x 27.5 110l
2016 Starboard Enduro Carbon oval stiff
Kialoa Methane(back up paddle)
5'10
175 lbs

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2012, 09:38:53 PM »
I hope people take it easy while other like Chris Hill from North Carolina Rips. Be safe my friends back East. Mahalo, Larry
Allison Race Fins

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »
I understand the idea that the arctic trough is supposed to pull it west......but it just doesn't seem to make sense to me. Tell me that this water vapor map doesn't seem to show the system coming in from the west compressing and blocking Sandy from turning westward and sliding underneath her wedging her north and east if anything. She's getting squeezed from the east as well but that just seems like it will aim her at RI. We'll know one way or another soon enough
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-wv.html
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2012, 05:55:46 AM »
Since Kayadogg started this thread... I'll post a shot of him from Sunday am session.

My daughter took a shot of me paddling over a wave Kayadogg was taking off on.

Zoom in only gets Kaya paddling into it....too bad it wasn't 5 sec. later :-\

Good surfing with you John, see you later this week!

And good luck down there tonight... might get a little wet around your house :o

My guess is... it'll come at your house from the ponds behind East beach... keep an eye on your car!...

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2012, 06:05:18 AM »
Thanks creek.  I went back out in the afternoon.  Getting out was the easy part... getting into a wave, however, was damn near impossible but still fun.  You were rippin yesterday, fun to watch.  It's gonna be wet for sure, not really looking forward to what the coast is going to look like in a few days.

supthecreek

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2012, 07:46:33 AM »
 Geez John... you were riding 8' Vibe in 30mph offshore winds...
Glad you got back out...I bet it was good!

I was beat after 2 hours in that wind and side bump.... plus I was taking my daughter back to College in Boston.
I really hope my favorite surf side bar is there for apres surf drinks after this week.

Some pictures of an old school Classic ... in jeopardy... be gentle Sandy :'(

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2012, 07:57:31 AM »
Looks like it is starting to take a left....so much for my career as a meteorologist..... ;D
Bob

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2012, 08:11:24 AM »
Downwinder anyone?

paddleaddict

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2012, 08:34:19 AM »
The swells on the Hudson looked pretty fun as I saw them from the Weather Channel footage. Jim Cantore has a dry suit on under his Weather Channel jacket, ha!

The wave action at the beaches looks scary. Atlantic City is now flooded.

JimK, and everyone else there, be safe!

Below is the son of a friend of ours, in the middle of the street in Sea Isle City, NJ:

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:41:31 AM by paddleaddict »

supthecreek

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2012, 09:07:20 AM »
Wow... and it hasn't hit yet :o

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2012, 09:12:28 AM »
I understand the idea that the arctic trough is supposed to pull it west......but it just doesn't seem to make sense to me. Tell me that this water vapor map doesn't seem to show the system coming in from the west compressing and blocking Sandy from turning westward and sliding underneath her wedging her north and east if anything. She's getting squeezed from the east as well but that just seems like it will aim her at RI. We'll know one way or another soon enough
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-wv.html

Remember that the storms are going to get pulled into each other to some degree - think of each storm as a marble rolling on a surface - except that surface is formed into a 3D map based on barometric pressure, with low pressure as low spots and high pressure as high spots. Where do the marbles go?

The swells on the Hudson looked pretty fun as I saw them from the Weather Channel footage. Jim Cantore has a dry suit on under his Weather Channel jacket, ha!

I was wondering what they did to actually stay dry. I know that LLBean junk they have to wear doesn't do it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal