Author Topic: Frankenstorm, aka Sandy  (Read 51568 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Frankenstorm, aka Sandy
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2012, 04:58:07 PM »
Just spoke with someone in Connecticut, Fishers Island Sound, where we go during the summer.  He said that the wind peaked 2 hours ago (~ 6pm EST) and that it was so windy, then that the sound hurt his ears. 

That said, the winds have since dropped off.  He is without power but the wind and wave action had subsided as of 8 pm EST and . . . that the forecasts "Were far over-hyped."

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2012, 05:09:20 PM »
I just watched a YouTube video about the USCG rescuing the survivors from HMS Bounty.  It was fascinating.
I'm not good at links.  Try looking it up:  Rescue HMS Bounty during Hurricane Sandy.

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2012, 05:39:16 PM »
I just watched a YouTube video about the USCG rescuing the survivors from HMS Bounty.  It was fascinating.
I'm not good at links.  Try looking it up:  Rescue HMS Bounty during Hurricane Sandy.
Dan is a bad ass.  It was nice to hear the winch operator say "I feel so bad about dragging him around in the water."
Obfuscation through elucidation

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2012, 05:49:32 PM »
We really didn't get much here. Some heavy winds earlier and good size waves but I've seen much bigger conditions in a typical nor'easter. It may have been big  but not seeing anything like what was forecast here.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2012, 05:53:28 PM »
Well we are far south of you, and we are just an hour in to the predicted worst of it.  They are saying expect gusts to 70mph for the next 7 hours

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2012, 06:11:28 PM »
I heard Mayor Bloomberg on NPR today chastising some surfers for "actually trying to surf" the pre-storm waves... he sounded so incredulous, it was amusing.  As a surfer and a water rescue trained firefighter, I say go for it! But you can rescue yourself if things go bad  ;)
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »
I heard Mayor Bloomberg on NPR today chastising some surfers for "actually trying to surf" the pre-storm waves... he sounded so incredulous, it was amusing.  As a surfer and a water rescue trained firefighter, I say go for it! But you can rescue yourself if things go bad  ;)
There's such a difference between people.

I remember one night looking at some videos here of people surfing river waves in the the snow and icy water--wearing wetsuits, falling in, diving in, looked like a blast.  The same night I was reading about a kayaker drowning in the Willamette--big warnings from officials about how cold the water is, how dangerous--lots of comments from the public about how insane, irresponsible, etc. it was.  Not just referring to those particular kayakers but to anyone going out into the water outside of summer. 

The idea that people can go out in scary (for the general public) conditions, and take responsibility for their own safety, is foreign to a lot of people. 

Reminds me also of the story here about the guy in Chicago getting arrested for surfing in the winter.

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2012, 06:30:24 PM »
Well, the CG is out looking for a swimmer in New Haven that disappeared in the surf

supthecreek

« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2012, 07:06:27 PM »
When we see forecast showing huge waves, we expect to "see" them. Fact is they break far out and roll lots of energy towards land.
The real effect we "see" from the offshore waves comes in the form of powerful water build up, as the wind and waves combine to push lots of water into bays, rivers and low lying areas.

I think the "hype" is proving accurate to the people who are will be affected by the flooding that will occur thru the night. The really different aspect to this storm is the wind direction in most of south facing beach communities... it will remain onshore for days.
When you combine that, with accumulated water and strong south swell, the water will be slow to leave.
Most storms hit... and are gone. The wind eases and changes direction as it passes.
The North East is forecast to see southerly winds thru Friday.

I bet that a lot of people will agree... the coverage was not out of line. This is a very unusual event.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2012, 07:34:16 PM »
that seems accurate Creek.  Cape is spared again but parts of  MD, NJ and NY is looking bad off!  I drove all over the Cape today for photo ops and saw jack. 

have not heard much about RI areas…hows it going Kayadogg?

any thoughts on RI surf this week boyz? 
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

getsupngo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2012, 09:21:25 PM »
Sandy sounds like regular stuff the Northwest Pacific coast can experience during the late fall and winter.  It just never gets any of the national media attention because its a normal part of the deal there.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2012, 03:17:08 AM »
Creek, the bar stands to live another day... couple broken windows and I heard the deck was ripped off but that turns out to be false. She is alive and well.

You're right about the predicted forecast. I've never seen water like this in the bay, the flooding is crazy. I haven't been back home yet, spent the night at higher ground but heading back to scope out the damage. 

supthecreek

« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2012, 04:29:05 AM »
Kayadogg, thanks for the update.
I am super psyched to hear that it survived... it's been on the brink for years!
Make sure to update on the neighborhood when you can, lots of old school surf buddies live there.
I think it was wise to leave, I bet lots of those roads were underwater.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2012, 05:08:07 AM »
There were some crazy winds last night, but we got through okay. Still no power. We're going to be consuming a lot of milk products today.

Now I know what that expression "the wind sounded like a freight train" means. It really does!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2012, 08:30:23 AM »
Creek, you can see the deck in the first picture, if you look closely - still standing.  The road is a mess, tons of sand, debris and rocks everywhere.  Mary Carpenters has seen much better days, as you can see by the second picture.  Deep Hole parking lot has over a foot and a half of sand covering the lot, notice the big rock in the middle.  All things considered, it could have been worse.  One house got pulled into the ocean down here but overall just a lot of downed trees, fences, no power and street flooding.  Coast Guard House in Gansett got annihilated, some are saying it's a total loss.  Part of the seawall by Monahans got washed out too. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal