Author Topic: Strand Leper is not alone!  (Read 50839 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Strand Leper is not alone!
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2012, 05:11:13 PM »
If he can't play nice with his board take it away from him.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 05:14:52 PM »

I went to school at PLNU and surfed the cliffs right out front of young Hall. (My dorm was right on the ocean ;D).  I always thought the vibe was pretty mellow there.  I never had issues being a surfing newb my fist year with virtually no instruction.  Although this was 6 years before anyone even heard of stand up. 

Nice OCkbar-thats where my son is hoping to transfer in February-fun spots all along that area.

Im pretty chill and accomodating up to a point-i dont apologize unless i did something wrong-i try to make peace if i can and just generally feel out the vibe on the paddle out-if youre too much of a kiss ass you get steamrolled.
Be aware going to that school, my brother went there, along with some of his buddies, they were all surfers, born and raised in SD.  I think everyone of them ended up dropping out because they couldn't keep up with the classes, because they couldn't stay out of the water.
It takes a quiver to do that.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 05:53:35 PM »
^...killer pic of fart knocker..

That is a sweet board. How do you like it? I've been looking at a lot of shapes in that general style...just curious on how you like it. The wide tail is kind of throwing me off a little..but I have seen some mini-simmons that just get my drool start going...or even the CI neck beard.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 06:02:22 PM »
^
Super fun, nugget stick!

I demo'd one, and on the first wave it just took off like it was on rails. It has a concave running 3/4 of the board and the rails are beveled. Get one, you'll live it!  Reasonably priced. :)

skibike

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 09:05:04 AM »
Well witnessed my first SUP hate this weekend at TableTops. Not bad, took 3 months of SUP’ing to eventually encounter it, well not me personally.

2 other guys SUP’ing, one guy takes off on a set wave and older proner goes off on his buddy about “you guys” having no respect, and that he has his 13 yr old in the lineup. So automatically there is the protective dad factor. But I wasn’t sure if this was the case but I give dad the benefit of the doubt with the wave poaching by the SUPer. The 2  SUPers move over to where I am, off to the side.

Another SUP joins the lineup, Im closer in and I see the SUPer take off on the same wave as the 13 yr old kid but they are about 40 feet apart. He sees the kid and purposely cuts out the wave. Dad starts screaming “C’mon he’s only 13 yrs. old!”.  Im pretty sure that had that been another proner…no problem. And here’s Dad screaming from the back of the lineup and can’t even see what’s going on. Anyway, the SUPer paddles up to the dad and exchanges words…no idea what was said. Dad shuts up.

I did catch up with SUPer later and asked him what was exchanged and he just said that he aint going to take that crap from proners, where its okay if they do it but a different set of rules for SUPers. He then says the dad told him that his board almost hit his kid, for which he had no way of seeing and I did and it wasn’t even close. Im glad he confronted the dad as I think its important for SUPers to stand up for their rights if they’re obeying etiquette, so we don’t have cases like this of daddy screaming in the lineup, setting a bad example and making us look bad. Personally, if I was that kid, Id be downright embarrassed if my dad was out there shouting at other surfers.
L41 ST SIMSUP - 7'2 X 28" - 92L

Kevin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 09:12:06 AM »
Well witnessed my first SUP hate this weekend at TableTops. Not bad, took 3 months of SUP’ing to eventually encounter it, well not me personally.

2 other guys SUP’ing, one guy takes off on a set wave and older proner goes off on his buddy about “you guys” having no respect, and that he has his 13 yr old in the lineup. So automatically there is the protective dad factor. But I wasn’t sure if this was the case but I give dad the benefit of the doubt with the wave poaching by the SUPer. The 2  SUPers move over to where I am, off to the side.

Another SUP joins the lineup, Im closer in and I see the SUPer take off on the same wave as the 13 yr old kid but they are about 40 feet apart. He sees the kid and purposely cuts out the wave. Dad starts screaming “C’mon he’s only 13 yrs. old!”.  Im pretty sure that had that been another proner…no problem. And here’s Dad screaming from the back of the lineup and can’t even see what’s going on. Anyway, the SUPer paddles up to the dad and exchanges words…no idea what was said. Dad shuts up.

I did catch up with SUPer later and asked him what was exchanged and he just said that he aint going to take that crap from proners, where its okay if they do it but a different set of rules for SUPers. He then says the dad told him that his board almost hit his kid, for which he had no way of seeing and I did and it wasn’t even close. Im glad he confronted the dad as I think its important for SUPers to stand up for their rights if they’re obeying etiquette, so we don’t have cases like this of daddy screaming in the lineup, setting a bad example and making us look bad. Personally, if I was that kid, Id be downright embarrassed if my dad was out there shouting at other surfers.

I stand up paddle Table Tops all the time, when it's small and uncrowded.  But I didn't surf there this weekend, as I figured there'd be a lot of regular surfers out there.  The beachbreaks were peaky enough, so I paddled from peak to peak in Del Mar and never had to hassle with anyone.   I'd rather not see Table Tops get like Cardiff Reef, you know, packed with SUPers, even though I am often a SUPer.  My 2 cents.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2012, 09:37:44 AM »
I ran into some SUP hate at Costco the other day. A longboarder I know a little came up to me and said "you asshole". I just stared at him, and he said "you looked like you were having so much fun last year that I finally tried a SUP. Now I own four of them and I haven't been on my longboard all year."
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2012, 09:47:44 AM »
I ran into some SUP hate at Costco the other day. A longboarder I know a little came up to me and said "you asshole". I just stared at him, and he said "you looked like you were having so much fun last year that I finally tried a SUP. Now I own four of them and I haven't been on my longboard all year."

That's why it's important to wait a few seconds before you soak someone who swears at you.  As with everything nowadays, words have new meaning and even asshole becomes a term of endearment.

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2012, 10:21:42 AM »
I was out a few weeks ago at my local so cal spot. Small and spotty, but the sun was going down and I just wanted to catch a few before sunset. I'm all alone for about 15 minutes until a couple of girls paddle out. It's a friendly break where everyone knows each other and they all play fair. I grab a waist high right-hander and this young lady hops the shoulder, takes it off the lip twice and then kicks out. I continue along my way and kick out before the shore break. I paddle back out and she hops me again... only this time she looks right at me and laughs as she tears into a little chest high roller. I smile and paddle back out.  I let a few go and grabbed a nice left about shoulder high.  She paddles across the peak and drops in on me... smiling the entire time. I finally paddle over to her to let her know she needed to respect her elders. Before I say word one, she blurts out " Hey old man, when your done sweeping up out here, why don't you go vacuum my house !"  All I could do was laugh... If  a 5X world champion can have a sense of humor about SUS, why can't everyone ?

MJF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2012, 10:50:31 AM »
I was out as a proner (SUP is still being shaped)yesterday at Terra Mar and can see the other side of the argument.  There were 6 or 7 SUPers out there and one or two really had no idea about etiquette regarding who gets a wave.   We kept paddling to a different spot to get away from them to have them follow us repeatedly.  Luckily, most of them could handle their boards just fine and if I knew the direction they were headed,  I went the other way.  I can see why surfers get annoyed, they just can't move from spot to spot as easily and catch as many waves. It really does seem like the SUPers take every good wave, even if they really are not.  They certainly can move laterally much quicker to where the peak is, unlike a surfer reliant on their hand paddling.

SUPn858

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2012, 11:48:54 AM »
Understand how the line up works and you will not have any problems in the long run. Others may have problems but they are not yours and standing strong is important for sup'rs to gain credibility and acceptance. I'm always willing to take it to the beach if the harassment is too severe, which usually calms things down...

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2012, 03:21:48 PM »
That same guy with his kid at Tabletops yelled in my direction simply because I was paddling out. I laughed at him and he paddled away.

:)

(True story)

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2012, 03:58:18 PM »
i think the sup hate is gonna peak soon, and then it will just be pockets here and there.

SUP is now so prevelant at most places that a lot of proners have sort of given up-not that the hate is not still out there-but some spots where it was real bad for a while-Cardiff-have calmed down quite a bit now that they know its not a fad and its here to stay.

As usual everyone who rides anything in the water, anywhere at anytime needs to know the un-written rules-even if you dont agree with them, in the end the best overall approach is to tread lightly and be cool. Of course this wont always work and sometimes you have to stand up for your right to SUP where you want.

Everyone knows i cant stand the Aholes at Old Mans and the guys who have the lifees on speed-dial whenever we stray too close, anymore im not sure i would want to surf OM's if they lifted the ban tomorrow.
I hate bad vibes and try to avoid it, but everyone should push the boundaries as much as they see fit or are willing to accept the consequences.
Sometime  i look over at OM's on a good day and there are just as many kooks on longboards as there are kooks on SUPS-like i said if they lifted the ban tomorrow i guess i would just take it day by day-if i was feeling ornery-its on!-if im feeling mellow-i hang out at patch, not having that option at OM's pisses me off something fierce though!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

surfnpoppy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2012, 06:56:40 AM »
Was out at oceanside pier had a short boarder paddle over to me. says "hey bro we don't do that here bro. sweepers aint gonna get any waves bro" I just paddled away from him. Funny thing is he said the same thing to me six months ago. I surf the area 3-4 days a week and I had only seen him the two times. If you are sweepeing at the pier be on the lookout for a guy that looks like a pudgy Taj Burrow with zinc face, likes to use the word "bro".

skibike

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2012, 07:54:33 AM »
Oh well, whilst Im still improving my skills, Im staying on the outskirts anyway, but Ive put in enough ocean time as a body surfer, proner myself and surf lifeguard that we're sharing waves. If theyre not careful Ill break out a competion malibu board that can catch a ripple and carve a wave too, and that will really give proners something to moan about. By the time they even see the set, Id already be on it.  ;D

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:23:54 AM by skibike »
L41 ST SIMSUP - 7'2 X 28" - 92L

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal