Author Topic: Strand Leper is not alone!  (Read 50837 times)

SD1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Strand Leper is not alone!
« on: October 17, 2012, 08:02:45 PM »
Hello everyone! First real post. Longtime surfer and started the fabulous sport of sup 5 years ago due to a medical issue. I surf Point Loma down here in San Diego and have been a very regular presence at many of the highly localized spots and know many people out on a given day.

So today I was out at our longboard spot which was about head high.. Yesterday I was out at the same spot, had a girl drop in on me, almost take me out, and left it at that.Never had seen this girl in my previous 25 years surfing down here Girl was WOOC...way out of control! So today I am hanging behind the the pack and this meathead guy on a longboard paddles for a wave but decides to try to take me out instead paddling over over the latter half of my board. We have words and he says I am not responsible and suck so I should not be out here. Trying not too sound cocky I do not suck! I have received compliments on my sufring and etiquette even from the heaviest locals..Now this WOCC girl who is friends with the meathead starts screaming at me saying, I hit her with my paddle yesterday, that I am a newbie, that I am burning everybody and have hit her several times with my board. Crazy absurd blabbing! She then proceeds to say she is going to take my paddle and shove it up my a##, saying I need to leave and the regular bs. Mind you this girl could not surf.

She continues with the barrage. I try to bite my tongue. People I have much patience... I teach second grade! Finally, I said look you caused the ruckus, I have been out here many years, take my turn and am not going anywhere.She keeps it up! Tells me she is going to kick me out of the water. I tell her to relax and that maybe she needs to get lucky! Then crazy meathead starts again. So I get a little fired tell them to relax and chill, worry bout yourself, etc.

Ten minutes later I paddle up to both crazies, offer a undeserved apology, say there does not need to be anger...if there was any miscommunication  so I apologize. Basically biting the bullet even though I did not have to. Both of them refuse. What! These 2 should not be even paddling in a lake! I take a wave in , girl burns me again, falls, and almost hits me again. We both proceed to paddle in. She is climbing up the cliff and I hand her her leash which was dragging. I again say let bygones be byognes, and again apolagize for an unecessary words. She ignores me. It continues up on the cliff. I explain my story to many of the other locals who are confused about the situation because they could not believe I was involved. I have to admit this girl could be cute if she stopped talking so she tells her story to everyone bout it. I actually apologize again!!! She starts again and I left...

So in a long winded way, SL I am right there with ya because I remember your similar post from a few months ago.The point is the only time I have been really threatened in the water was by a girl because I was on a SUP! So over the haters, the collective attitude of people in the lineup,and hate.

Thanks for reading...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Strand Leper is not alone!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 08:56:20 PM »
A little advice that you didn't request.

If you consider that your apology was undeserved, then it's disingenuous to make it. People have good bullshit detectors--even wackos do. Apologies infer the fault is yours, and so you were conceding that in a manipulative way. Better to just ignore them both than to proffer an apology you don't really think you need to make. Fuel for the fire.

It also makes you seem weak, and bullies love weak.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:58:14 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 09:43:22 PM »
Good way to ruin a session.  I have apologized a few times when I wasn't in the wrong in the past. I still do it once in a while to keep the peace. The key to any situation like that IMHO is not to emotionally personalize it... No F You's or get F'd.  As u recall, I try to state something objectively... Then watch the other person over react.  "Perhaps your skill set isn't quite there for this break today."

Not much that you could have said.  I guess I hope that i would have said, "If you threaten me again, you'd better be able to back it the F up... Out here, you are just a surfer... And you had better mean what the F you say."

Or, "look, I know that you are in over your head today.  Everyone can see that... If it makes you feel better to take it out on me, that is your prerogative... But it doesn't change the fact that you are a few levels beyond your comfort zone.  And I just decided that I am going to bring truth to your lies... And burn you on every wave you paddle for... Maybe it's time for you to go home."

Good luck!

NEVER let it ruin ur session. If u do, thy win.
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

SD1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 09:57:02 PM »
Thanks fellas...Great advice and input. Guess I tried to apologize just to keep peace as a way to spread aloha but point is very well taken. I usually don't apologize if I am not in the wrong. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and wisdom. 

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 12:50:01 AM »
Sounds like the "blank stare" would work best in that situation. You stare, they yell, look foolish after a few minutes and eventually stop.

The other situation, which I've been in:

Angry dude (who was giving me sh*t just for being in the water):
"Hey man, you came right at me with your board."

Me:
"That's right, and I'm going to again on the next wave"

Angry dude:
"Uhh..."

That resolved the situation immediately.
Seems a good spraying was all that was needed to show I know what I'm doing.

But, stories like yours can be up for interpretation. I'd probably shout out to my friends, by name, at the lineup. Then say, "I know all these surfers, but not you."  

I also assume you're not about to stop paddling at the spot you go to, so ignorance is probably the road to take.

:)

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 04:20:29 AM »
Too many beginners get into surfing because they watched 'Point Break' :D

The newbies just emulate what they see in the movies!

I used to surf a kayak in my younger days, so you can imagine the hassle I would get from time to time..

SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

endlessfight

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 05:11:08 AM »
These 2 should not be even paddling in a lake!

hey easy now!!!  ;D :D

Glider

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 06:10:38 AM »
25 yrs surfing, you have put your time in.  I agree with others, don't apologize if you're not in the wrong.  Most agro idiots are pretty easy to out think, you being educated will have no trouble out witting these two.

I also discovered growing facial hair and talking to your self in a loud manner coupled with crossed eyed  blank stairs in the lineup will result in others moving away from you.  Lots of conversation with your friends will also shut them up.  If you really want to freak them out, every time a set comes in give them the first wave with a smile, most agro idiots don't know how to handle a nice jester,  usually the 3rd to 5th wave in a set is bigger and better anyway .   A friend of mine came up with a great idea for situations like this.  Get two others sup's and paddle over and all 3 sit in close proximity to said subjects, collectively strike up a conversation with said subjects regarding, their boards, the amount of nice waves they are getting.  Ask them if  they are sponsored, if not they should be because they are just ripping out here, what do they do to stay in such great shape, on and on.   Sarcasm with a smile !  All this with smiles on your faces, it won't be long before they paddle away shaking their pathetic heads.  Lastly, if they are novices, tell one of your other sup pals, I think I saw a biggg shadow swim under us, didn't see a fin but I know I saw something, keep and eye out !  That will freak them out and loose concentration on watching the horizon for sets !  

Keep chargin !

4 sups is even better !

I used surf the cliffs when I was in the US Navy back in the 70's, fun place.  As I remember it was somewhat busy at certain spots then.  I always thought it to be a great longboard area, lots of spots on head to overhead days.  Seems like it would be great for standups.  I heard there are lots sup's them there.  

Let me guess, she's knew to spot and her and the meathead consider themselves locals.  Go figure.   Wonder where the aloha spirit is I keep hearing about is ?  

Keep chargin, don't let them steel your zeal !

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 06:25:39 AM »
I went out at a break I had never SUSed before
It was out of state... used to be a fun longboard break... decided to give it a go on SUP.
It was crowded... but it is definitely not an "A"team break...

I walk through the group of local bunched at the top of the access... no vibe at all.

After my first wave... a nice lefthander.. I hear some woman yell loudly at me:
"HEY... Paddleboard!"
I look over at her...
"Yeah... you... on the paddle board!"
"Yes?"
"You got control of that thing?"
With a wry smile..."Yes... I got control of this... thing"
"Good!... I was going to take that wave with you... but I didn't want to get hit!"

Apparently "party wave" theory is alive and well at that spot....   (see picture) ;D

I proceeded on and had a great session... met lots of regulars up at the "Pit"
It really was a fun day... but she made it priceless!

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 06:27:39 AM »
sorry about the double picture... my post was interrupted by a "new post" warning and it looked like it deleted the picture... live and learn!

supstoked

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 07:06:35 AM »
A friend told me of an incident when he and another paddler were paddling around a heavy localized wave on their way to another spot.  The surfers in the lineup started the catcalls, one of the paddlers answered back 'hey, shutup or I'll stop right here and take all the waves I want'.  That was the end of it.
Lots of foil boards 6’7”-7’4”, L41 TVD’s and Jimmy Lewis Strikers..

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 07:52:03 AM »

I also discovered growing facial hair and talking to your self in a loud manner coupled with crossed eyed  blank stairs in the lineup will result in others moving away from you. ....

Try ending every session by yelling "Oh Sh*t, I got to go feed my hostage"  then paddle in frantically.

I have trouble with the growing hair on the face thing
Obfuscation through elucidation

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 08:06:51 AM »

I also discovered growing facial hair and talking to your self in a loud manner coupled with crossed eyed  blank stairs in the lineup will result in others moving away from you. ....

Try ending every session by yelling "Oh Sh*t, I got to go feed my hostage"  then paddle in frantically.

Celeste-have you tried Androgel!? ;)
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 08:22:02 AM »
I have apologized many time when not needed, playing basketball, being married, surfing... life sometimes needs diffusion.

I often surf with my brother, who is a cop.  With me at 6-1, 250 and him at 6-1, 260 and both of us having enough physical imperfections to get us cast as Serbian mass murderers in the next Bond film, we usually are given a little latitude, perhaps for sheer volume alone.  He's really a nice guy though.  I've heard him say things like "Listen, I'm sorry, I hope you'll accept this apology and we can put this behind us.  I'd hate to have to apologize to the coroner for making a bloody mess all over this street during his shift."  Somehow when he says stuff like that, there is something in me that believes he'd do it without a moments hesitation.  He has what can only be described as a temper hair trigger.

Mind you, we've never been in an altercation, either due to good verbal judo, or a marked advantage in the number of molecules involved.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 08:26:41 AM by SlatchJim »

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 08:36:26 AM »

Try ending every session by yelling "Oh Sh*t, I got to go feed my hostage"  then paddle in frantically.

Celeste-have you tried Androgel!? ;)
to likely to loose the hair on my head that way, and no way can I pull the sexy bald woman thing off, just to hard to hide the point

EDIT: Oh, and to remain on topic, what would have come out of my mouth would likely been something like "So you had a double shot of stupid with your morning crack, did you?"  After 22 years with alcoholic partners, and letting it be my fault just to keep the peace, there is no more of that left in me.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 08:39:49 AM by Celeste »
Obfuscation through elucidation

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal