Author Topic: Strand Leper is not alone!  (Read 50985 times)

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Strand Leper is not alone!
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2012, 08:13:18 AM »
I ran into some SUP hate at Costco the other day. A longboarder I know a little came up to me and said "you asshole". I just stared at him, and he said "you looked like you were having so much fun last year that I finally tried a SUP. Now I own four of them and I haven't been on my longboard all year."

Hahahaha!!
Taller than most, shorter than others.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2012, 08:14:44 AM »
That same guy with his kid at Tabletops yelled in my direction simply because I was paddling out. I laughed at him and he paddled away.

:)

(True story)

Is that the spot I saw you at?
Taller than most, shorter than others.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2012, 05:13:59 PM »
^
No. That was just the campgrounds.

I was at the reef today and got shafted by aggro longboard dude. I went right and was on the inside, he drops in, looks back, sees me, then keeps going.  I pulled out and barely missed whacking his ankles with the nose of my board.

What he was probably thinking: "F'n Sup'er, I don't pull out for those a**holes."

I wasn't too bothered, as a better wave came behind it. But there's been some bad anti-sup vibe out in the water lately.
And lest we forget, too be a cool surfer, you have to hate Stand-up surfing.

:)

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2012, 06:08:33 AM »
Was out at oceanside pier had a short boarder paddle over to me. says "hey bro we don't do that here bro. sweepers aint gonna get any waves bro" I just paddled away from him. Funny thing is he said the same thing to me six months ago. I surf the area 3-4 days a week and I had only seen him the two times. If you are sweepeing at the pier be on the lookout for a guy that looks like a pudgy Taj Burrow with zinc face, likes to use the word "bro".

Ha! This may be the same guy that tried giving me a hard time at Oceanside harbor one day. Conditions weren't the best, and it was on the smaller side. I paddled out somewhat close to north jetty and was sort of hanging out on the edge of the lineup, hoping to hop on a shoulder or two, trying not to get in anyone's way. This guy, who probably was a bit too chubby for his board, was sunk in the water down to his nipples, tells me that I need to go over 'there', pointing to the other SUP'ers, who are hanging out south of us, where the swell is all mixed up and conditions are junk, and asks me why I even decided to come out here. I told him that I was the last thing he had to worry about, and I won't be getting in his way. I told him if he can't get any waves it's most likely he picked the wrong board and should do some sit-ups. His use of the word 'bro' makes me think it was the same loudmouth. This guy was just loud in general. He didn't give me crap after that, and was just being a douche in general, and talked more than he actually surfed. I find that the people in the harbor tend to be a little more respectful than further south in San Diego. In Oceanside you really don't know who you might be mouthing off to in the water. Could be some marine that will kick your ass for running your mouth, or someone shady dude that will stab you in the parking lot. What i have found though, is the guy that is usually running his mouth in the water is usually the shittiest surfer out there. Of all the times I have surfed at the harbor, this was the only guy who has ever said anything to my face.

Usually I try and ignore it and not let it get to me, but once had a surfer lose his giant, old school, volan-glassed log, no leash, and it nailed me in the thigh as I was coming down the line. Somehow I hooked under board with my paddle and flung t off me, pretty much getting that giant board airborne. This was evidenced by the ton of wax that was left on the shaft of my paddle. I never fell off my board, pulled out of the wave and paddled back out. The owner of the stray board starts yelling at me because I apparently dinged his board with my paddle! I told him to either learn how to control his board or use a leash. he didn't like that and started spouting off, so I just told him to 'f#@k off' and went on my way. This dude proceeded to follow me to the outside where he posted up next to me, and kept at it. I finally told him that I was tired of listen to him, he's already ruined my day, so we should paddle in and settle it. Now he shuts up and rethinks the situation, I told him it's too late and he needs to back up everything he's been saying, so we paddle in. I get out first, and am pissed. The loudmouth finally paddles in, runs up to me and gets within an inch of me and starts yelling at me again. Funny thing is, I am 6'2, and he came up to my chest. I let him finish his yelling, not saying a word to him. He finally finishes, and I tell him, "A fair fight is a fair fight, and you kick my ass there's no shame in that, and I can assure you I am not one of these SoCal pussies who goes running to the cops after a fight, but you might want to call an ambulance, because if you lay one finger on me, I am going to f@$%ing kill you." The guy basically stopped talking and walked away to his car and left.  The funny thing was he parked right next to me in the parking lot! I was still fired up and although I should have let it go, I went up to the guy and told him if he changed his mind and grew a set I'm right here. He never did a thing and he left, and never saw him at that break ever again. Apparently I was hated at that break by a lot of surfers simply because I rode an SUP and didn't take any crap from any of them. Nobody ever had the stones to back up all of their trash talk, and was even told later on that people in the water started making bets about who would win, and even the guys that didn't like me were saying, "That stand up guy is going to kill that surfer!"

I sort of stopped surfing after that, only going out occasionally because I was sick of the people out in the water. Luckily I moved north to Oceanside where it seems a little better. Not as many people that have this sense of entitlement, and it's not as crowded either.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 06:28:51 AM by ODJ »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2012, 06:50:08 AM »
I like the "call an ambulance" line, I might add it to: "Either you're going to beat up on an old guy, or more likely, someone old enough to be your grandfather is going to kick your ass."  though there haven't been any opportunities to use either in a long time.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2012, 07:11:57 AM »
never had any probs at Oside-but i tend to stay in front of Hobbits-heading north towards jetty is a batter wave but as i get older and mellower, its just not worth the hassle, and im decent on my board, but the proners dont care-they hate you because its cool to hate you, and surfers more than anything nowadays are desperate to be cool. Youre right about Oside though ODJ-its not OC-some sketchy dudes in those lineups.

Went yesterday with Boludo to a fun little spot down in SD-really mellow-some butt boarders out early-paddle past the haters then several head and sometimes overhead peaks all over the place-super fun, little inconsistent but worlds better than Patch.

I want to have a good surf and avoid the vibes if possible-im not 6-2, just your average shorter white dude, i like to surf better waves but often the proner vibe just kills the good time, i dont want to have to battle and get stuffed and get vibed just to catch a decent wave.

I still think the level of sup hate has dropped substantially in the last few years and that it will eventually drop to where its just isolated pockets. In Socal at least there will always be some sup hate-its the same with longboard and goat boat and sponge hate. As long as editors of the uber cool surf mags keep saying its fun and cool to hate sups there will be young fresh minds to instill the hatred. Maybe with more and more local respected shapers getting into the sup gig that will diminish some of it-Patterson etc...

Oh well, go where you want to go and be prepared for the worst and hope for the best, and more than anything have fun.
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

JT

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2012, 08:29:20 AM »
Fortunately, where I SUP the vibe is generally mellow. I've had many more prone surfers approach me with positive comments about rides and whatnot than I've had unpleasant encounters, which number about two. I'm sure some prone surfers just tolerate (and maybe only barely) SUPs in the lineup, but as long as they don't make an issue out of it, I'm OK with that.

Still, one reason I've considered getting a Go Pro or equivalent is to have an easy way to record crap people might say or do. Early on in my SUP experience, I had a big dude on a bigger longboard paddle up to me and say "Get out of the water now or I'm going to kill you." I'm a relatively small and physically unimposing guy, but I wasn't about bullied out of the water, especially since just another (friendly) proner and I had been sharing waves between ourselves until Mr. Loudmouth showed up. So I kept surfing and Mr. Loudmouth kept making threats that got more and more extreme. This is what I'd like to have on record.

Why? Well respect to those who indeed "settle it" on the beach, but if you go that route, you probably want to avoid any hint of "mutual combat" as that can just get both parties tossed in the can.  Better to have evidence of one party being the aggressor, especially if you end up giving (or taking) a beating.

In my case, I pegged the Loudmouth as a bully with just enough brains not to try to back up his words. Of course, he could have been a sociopath in which case things could have gotten pretty ugly. Still, I think having video rolling will discourage all but the dimmest bulbs from making or carrying out physical threats.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2012, 08:42:55 AM »
Fortunately, where I SUP the vibe is generally mellow. I've had many more prone surfers approach me with positive comments about rides and whatnot than I've had unpleasant encounters, which number about two. I'm sure some prone surfers just tolerate (and maybe only barely) SUPs in the lineup, but as long as they don't make an issue out of it, I'm OK with that.

Still, one reason I've considered getting a Go Pro or equivalent is to have an easy way to record crap people might say or do. Early on in my SUP experience, I had a big dude on a bigger longboard paddle up to me and say "Get out of the water now or I'm going to kill you." I'm a relatively small and physically unimposing guy, but I wasn't about bullied out of the water, especially since just another (friendly) proner and I had been sharing waves between ourselves until Mr. Loudmouth showed up. So I kept surfing and Mr. Loudmouth kept making threats that got more and more extreme. This is what I'd like to have on record.

Why? Well respect to those who indeed "settle it" on the beach, but if you go that route, you probably want to avoid any hint of "mutual combat" as that can just get both parties tossed in the can.  Better to have evidence of one party being the aggressor, especially if you end up giving (or taking) a beating.

In my case, I pegged the Loudmouth as a bully with just enough brains not to try to back up his words. Of course, he could have been a sociopath in which case things could have gotten pretty ugly. Still, I think having video rolling will discourage all but the dimmest bulbs from making or carrying out physical threats.

Thant's the sad thing about the surf culture, and dare I say the culture of the west coast in general. Yes, I am 6'2, but I am by no means a big guy at 185 lbs., 36 years old, although I am fit, but being in school full-time for the last year and a half and working full-time as well has taken it's toll on my fitness! I'm from the east coast, and back there if someone mouths off to you, you don't have time to explain to them that you are going to flatten them if they keep it up, because you have a split second to decide to engage, or to run away! Nobody wastes time talking. I came out here 4 years ago with that mentality, and when these guys out here in the water start mouthing off, I'm like, "Ok, let's do this!", and when you get in their face they freak out, start blabbering and make excuses, and even threaten to call the cops! Seriously, these guys are the most cowardly, entitled people I have ever come across. I have seen where the guy who starts harassing another guy gets smacked, and even though he initiated it, he paddles in, calls the cops, and the police are waiting for the other guy on the beach! Believe me, I am not going out there looking for trouble, but surfers seem to love giving me crap, and my fault is I take the bait and snap back instead of just smiling and ignoring them. I've had tons of days where the surfers are cool, I say good morning to everyone, call out sets, know my place, etc. Honestly though, I think what a lot of these guys need is a good old-fashioned ass-kicking when they run their mouths.

When I was a kid you got into fist fights. Sometimes you won, and you sometimes got your ass beat. No shame in getting beat up, but there is shame in running your mouth, and then being a coward and not doing anything about it, or calling the cops. I have had several instances I would have not hesitated to knock someone out to make an example of them for harassing me, but given I am an RN, I can EASILY lose my nursing license if I got arrested. I have had many guys start trouble, say they are going to kick my ass, but to this day, NEVER had anyone in the water actually hit me. The hospital I work at does yearly background checks, and any sort of charge for assault, etc. would definitely result in me being let go, so throwing the first punch for me is out of the question.

It seriously got so bad with people giving me shit (and like I said, I routinely told these clown to do something about it and nobody EVERY would, they are just all talk) that I felt like paddling in with that guy would prove a point and set an example, and it did work, even though it did not go to exchanging punches. They realized that I meant what I said! In my mind I thought if these guys see me knock someone out who comes after me, they might think twice next time they consider mouthing off to someone in the water.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:52:25 AM by ODJ »

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
wow, some EGOS sound quite big in CA and HI.  im sure we have em here in the NE but yet to encounter anything to write here about.  guess i should be more thankful for "winter" surfing  :). this thread definitely has enlightened me to travel SUSing in the US.

do you guys deal with that stuff in Nor Cal too?
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2012, 01:26:20 PM »
I have  got a friend ex navy seal special forces,  6 or 7  black belts looks alittle like the commander in avatar but he  is like  5'5"  people pick on him all the time. many now have broken bones.   he hats it o be called old. he is 55.   tangling with him would sorta be like getting into  a cage fight with a pro. I just take him with me. if i need any help.  I am 59  couldn't fight my way out of a wet paper sack.  No just kidding  he doesnt sup
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2012, 01:38:40 PM »
It is pretty amazing how pissy people can be and still not back it up. But generally if someone yells at you in Pidgin here in Maui you can pretty much bet they're quite willing to back it up. These guys "like scrap".

California and Oregon, not so much, though you just never know. People take aggressive positions that would get your lights punched out in Chicago, Boston or New York. When I first moved west, people thought I was a sarcastic psycho. I'd make typical east coast sarcastic comments and people would give me hurt puppy looks. Took a while to realize that it didn't pass for humor in Cali. But then people would get right in my face being aggressive and be very surprised when I'd sucker punch them in the kisser. Took a while for that reflex to calm down, but where I grew up when someone came at you, it was time to try to get in the first punch, and make it a good one.

But that was 50 years ago.  

I've heard from several sources that Laird slaps people who get in his face. I imagine that's like getting slapped by a Gorilla. It's probably pretty tough to complain to the cops that you were slapped half to death.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2012, 02:23:44 PM »
Bill, having grown up in Brooklyn, I'm amazed how crazy people are getting. Where I'm from, if you talk like that you'd better be ready for blood. That's why I have a smile for everybody, even those who act a bit dickish. I know what happens when the smile goes away.

I would never even dream of going off on someone unless I knew I was ready to take the guy on.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

JT

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2012, 02:41:18 PM »
It is pretty amazing how pissy people can be and still not back it up. But generally if someone yells at you in Pidgin here in Maui you can pretty much bet they're quite willing to back it up. These guys "like scrap".

California and Oregon, not so much, though you just never know.

This pretty much mirrors my experience. That is, I translate "I'm going to kill you" stated in the lineup according to where I am.

In Hawaii, somebody's ending up in the ER.

In California, somebody's car is going to get vandalized.

In New England, probably none of the above.

I could be wrong of course, but this translation has served me so far.

Hawaii is the only place I've seen actual violence not infrequently, but this was a long time ago. A school buddy visited my family one summer and has fond memories of getting punched out by a local for the crime of kicking out of a wave after the local dropped in on him. Apparently the local thought my buddy shouldn't have taken the wave in the first place and that he came to close to him when kicking out. Actually, I'm sure he just wanted to pound a skinny white kid.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 02:43:34 PM by JT »

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2012, 07:08:07 PM »
x2 for locals in HI being ready, willing and able to go at it. "Like beef"? I seem to recall that was the expression.

Amazingly, I surfed there for over 3 years and never once got in a fight. Had a couple of threats, nothing too serious. But, although I'm only 5'6" and was then about 130 lbs soaking wet, I was a supremely confident, able bodied Marine. I think that confidence might have kept me out of trouble a few times. Bullys pick on the weak.

But some places, like Makaha, are just a fight waiting to happen for us Haoles. I still have my little Al Merrick board, since repaired but showing 3 clear skeg slashes on the bottom. The result of a local coming right at me. I rolled and he slashed right thru my board, glad he missed my fingers.

A buddy of mine, just as white and in the military handled things perfectly one day. A "local" (Japanese, not Hawaiian) paddled up to him all pissed off, grabbed the nose of his board and before the local could make his move, my buddy punched him square in the face. That was the end of that.

Now, I surf in the Midwest and I swear, it's just a big love fest out there. We figure, if you're crazy enough to try and surf on a cold lake, you must be okay.
Semper Fi!

It's simple, either you get the wave or the wave gets you.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2012, 08:18:17 PM »
Funny but embarrassing story with no surf content.

Many years ago in Portland one Sunday I was behind this somewhat ratty Dodge Charger with four guys in it at a light. Light changed, no movement. I waited for a ten count and bipped the horn. The driver freaks out. Puts the car in park charges back, starts yelling at me and kicks the door of my fairly new Ford Aerostar (I said it was long ago, eh). So I get out and his buddies start getting out of the car, he lurches forward swinging both arms back and I smacked him as hard as I could in the nose. He goes over backwards and stays down, his buddies actually get back in the car. I get in my soccer mom van and drive home.

While I'm driving I'm playing the scene over in my head, and realized he wasn't swinging his arms back to cock a punch, he was gesturing and leaning forward. Basically defenseless when I clobbered him.

Next day (Monday) I go to the Starbucks next to the office building I worked in, and there's the guy, in line, with a suit, a briefcase, a purple nose the size of a dill pickle and two black eyes. He says "you've got a short fuze" and that was that. I saw him a couple times a week for more than a year. Watched his eyes turn various shades of purple, green, brown, yellow, etc. 

I always wondered what kind of buddies he had though. They got back in the car like rabbits. Didn't even help him up.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill