Author Topic: Strand Leper is not alone!  (Read 50840 times)

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Strand Leper is not alone!
« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »
Great post StandinDan.

...I was wondering if it was only me that was thinking about lawsuits!

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2013, 11:02:19 AM »
I like the way you think, Dan.  Over the past few years, I've taken to visibly smiling and laughing when someone gets upset at me in traffic.  Not only does it do wonders for my own blood pressure, it's really fun to see them try to make sense of me.  They're laying on the horn and flipping the bird and I'm getting as much of my face in the mirror as possible so they can see me laughing.  Yeah, it probably infuriates them more that I'm not taking them seriously by responding in kind...and that makes me laugh more.  Think I may have to adopt that approach to the lineup.

So many things in life more important to get worked up over...really hard to take someone seriously who wants to start a fight over waves and water.  I like the Latka Gravas approach.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2013, 11:56:32 AM »
Great post Dan,

And if someone is mad at Bulky, they were definitely mad before they got into the water.

AM9K

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2013, 08:47:24 PM »
Killer post StandinDan. Defend our right to get radical. Those two scratchers had no idea who they were fucking around with.
Instagram/Twitter: @AM9K

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2013, 09:18:35 PM »
Maui has become pretty cool. I get some grief at Lanes, but that's about it. There are some crazy bastards out there though. I hears that last week someone told Cris P. that he couldn't' sup at lanes and more or less offered to fight him back at the beach.

I consider that complete proof of insanity. Chris is basically 200 plus pounds of pure muscle, and he's a wrestler. I figure the first thing the guy would have been thinking is "how did my foot get up my ass".

There's a very long list of people I would choose out before Chris--like 99 percent of the world.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

maui wave warrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2013, 11:39:39 PM »
Wow!! Hard to believe someone would challenge Chris. He has youth, size and is very local. Born and raised on Maui and knows his way around the line-up.  I was under the impression that lanes was where the SUP's need to go to keep the peace at Hookipa.  Guess things must have changed and the surfers have now decided they need to have lanes to themselves as well.  Curious as to the end result of that conflict with Chris. Pretty sure it would have never made it back to the beach.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 11:51:15 PM by maui wave warrior »

supthecreek

« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2013, 04:27:29 AM »
Latka StanDan
You just nailed it... SUP seems to appeal to folks with a pure appreciation of waves... I'm am very glad that you found SUP and a way back into the line-up.

Surfing is much to great a sport to leave in the hands of the aggro idiots. Kumbyaa them into irrelevance....

What I found in the bar business is... the same jerkoffs that start fights are the first ones to lawyer up and go for the gold. There is no end to what the world owes them.

I gotta say... every time I hear about surf punks hassling a member of the US Military it makes me crazy..... if anyone has priority in the line-up... it's the folks that protect and defend it! Thanks for your service StandinDan.

TWsup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2013, 09:57:25 AM »
Hej Dan,

having been living, working and traveling for 30 years in places where English is at best a 2nd language I have used that tactic many times, even in face of authority to get out of paying attention to silly rules. I can usually speak Swedish ( which I speak most of time now) in non Nordic country, or pretend I'm French anywhere else ( speak a smattering of French).

well it's good you guys stick to it. I gave up surfing in 1978 and started windsurfing past the surfers at the points in Malibu. moved on to kite surfing. along with that I ended up in Sweden..... now I no waves to fight for....

Bark Competitor 12-6
Fanatic Allwave 9-2
Naish Keiki 9-0

MJF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2013, 10:37:45 AM »
You big guys are a bit lucky.  I look like a cast member of the Big Bang Theory, try intimidating anyone out of wanting to kick your butt looking like that  :P . Avoidance and mitigation has to work for me, although I can outrun most big guys outside Usain Bolt if it comes to that!

Mike

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2013, 11:28:45 AM »
Hej Dan,

having been living, working and traveling for 30 years in places where English is at best a 2nd language I have used that tactic many times, even in face of authority to get out of paying attention to silly rules. I can usually speak Swedish ( which I speak most of time now) in non Nordic country, or pretend I'm French anywhere else ( speak a smattering of French).

well it's good you guys stick to it. I gave up surfing in 1978 and started windsurfing past the surfers at the points in Malibu. moved on to kite surfing. along with that I ended up in Sweden..... now I no waves to fight for....

I have been doing that to pushy guys in bars for years, look them straight in the eyes and say "I'm sorry, but I don't speak English" and walk off.
Obfuscation through elucidation

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2013, 11:32:02 AM »
Last year a guy shot his longboard at me because he was unhappy at the "unfairness" of my SUP.

He was out again today on his 10'0 longboard, me on my 7'11 SUP.

After the 2 groms got out of the water it was just me and him about 200' south.

After a few min, he paddles over by me.

I'm expecting grief when he simply paddles by...never says a word.

Either:

1. He's made peace with SUP.
2. It was not crowded so he didn't feel as if his waves were threatened.
3. He saw my board was small and felt he had equity.

No matter what, it was peaceful out there. Peaceful vibes...small, terrible waves.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2013, 11:17:34 AM »
I go to the water to forget about stress, all the "fighting" I do with customers, contractors etc... If someone has beef wtih me I just paddle on to the next open gap. It's so not worth lowering myself to that level and raising my bloodpressure. I have worked too hard to get where I am to risk it all by fighing with some child in the surf. I also know that if I do go "there" I will probably hospitalize the fucker from past experience. I need to keep the Irish temper in check.
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2013, 12:15:28 PM »
I totally get the "Just move along" vibe.  When I am at any other spot, that is what I do... after I provide my perception of the situation to the hassler... unless I am vibed by a chick SUP'er... then it is a whole different story.  ;)

But at this spot, if you back down... you are done... its over... forget it.

I worked pretty ****ing hard for the better part of two decades to be able to buy a house (and live) at that break... and some d*psh*t is not going to tell me that I can't play in the ocean there.

I also carry a very large umbrella policy.

As anyone who has surfed with me knows, I try to get along.  I give away waves to proners.  I don't take more than my share... (except one time when after taking three bombs in a row at my NW secret spot, Cardiff politely said, "The next one is mine, right." ... it was classic... me:  "Oh geez... dude I am sorry... Creek on the brain.")

When someone hassles me, I give them my perception of the situation, but don't overdo it.  When someone hassles my buddy, I let the hassler know that I have my buddy's back... politely... But if somebody tells me to get out of the water at that spot, it is not going to be smooth.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2013, 12:57:31 PM »
That scene in Fried Green Tomatoes, where Kathy Bates smashes the young gals VW that snakes her parking spot... yea it's like that.

I hope we meet someday Leper.  I'd like to thank you for all the entertainment.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2013, 01:08:32 PM »
My late friend Barney had a temper that he kept pretty well in check. One day we were getting ready to pull into a spot and two girls snaked it. Barney steps out and tells the girl he was going for that spot. She says "tough shit, it's mine now".  So barney takes her antenna off and puts it through the windshield and says "enjoy it."
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal