Author Topic: cool weather gear  (Read 4024 times)

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
cool weather gear
« on: October 14, 2012, 09:32:40 PM »
Glad to see the new sub forum.

I'm looking for advice on cool weather gear for stand up paddling.  My usage will be physical training during a SoCal fall/winter (worst case scenario 50 degrees).  This will be flat water inside the bay so I'm not looking for survival gear.  Rain is rare around here so I don't need it to be waterproof.

My ideal would be something I can sweat my butt off in while training for racing, but will keep me warm enough on a 1-2 hour paddle.  I think the biggest dangers are injuries due to cold muscles and/or not being able to train if I don't have something to keep me warm.

thanks!

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: cool weather gear
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 05:50:21 AM »
Are you in San Diego? I think you said you were in another post.

If so go down to Point Loma Outfitters and have a look at some of the sailing mid-layers. They are very helpful and will get you kitted out.

If not, there are a few things I would look into:

SLAM is an Italian sailing gear company that has some super nice hydrophobic mid layers that would be good if you're just getting splashed. Reasonably priced, and their top is a half zip, and the top and bottom snap together.

Zhik is an Australian company that makes a couple of pieces that would be good. Their hydrophobic fleece is a little bit thicker than the slam and very nice, no zipper though. Also their microfleece line is great by itself, microfleece inside and neoprene outside. They also have a superwarm version that is similar but thicker.

Patagonia is good, and PLO should be able to educate you on that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 06:47:48 AM »
Both O'Neill and Quicksilver make SUP specific front zip jackets.  You can find some reviews in the gear section.  Quicksilver does make one that is without neoprene.  It depends on how much protection you want.  The O'Neill one is called Breeze Breaker.  The Quick. Polypropylene SUP jacket is more breathable.  But, it might not be warm enough at 50, if there is any breeze.
I also recommend something for your feet.  There are plenty of surf booties.  Wetsuit socks are another option. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 07:41:13 AM by hbsteve »

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 03:27:57 PM »
Check out the SeasonFive stuff.  A bit pricey but if you wear it 30 times a year I think it is worth it.  With it not getting very cold where you are, I think overheating would be more of a problem then staying warm.  You need something for if you do fall in, you will dry quick and not remain cold.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 03:36:43 PM »
NRS makes great stuff. Top of the line high quality stuff. They will have booties and socks and a layer for any condition. Immersion Research and Kokotat also.

supguy35

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • http://hyperflexusa.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 05:46:13 AM »
check out supremepaddle.com its a new line of paddle gear from Hyperflex. it will be out in early Dec. there are  jackets, pants, wetsuits, rashguards its a complete line of product
Working For:
Naish Paddle Boards
Hyperflex/ Neo-Sport Wetsuits
SUPreme Paddle Gear
Ion Cameras

teamalty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 02:11:16 PM »
Sacramento area hits the 20s, but mostly in the 30s for just a short time, but I paddled 330 days last year, and my winter gear comes from cycling and x-country ski wear. However, I use Chota Mukluks, knee-high boots getting into the water if not using the dock. Since we're in flat water, and swimming in the worst of conditions is rare, my clothing has served me well for the last three years. I'll use three layers on top in the coldest conditions, wind breaker maybe, and two layers lower. The lower is cycling longs or x-country pants. I do have a cycling rain cape, but that's only used in a down-pour. I have three different pairs of paddling gloves; short/long fingers and one heavy duty.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 05:20:36 PM »
Victory Kore Dry reps. have been at several events, that I have been to. 
Their fabric looks interesting, i.e. not absorbing water at all.
Has anyone worn one?  If so, some review comments would be appreciated.

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »
Tried the SeasonFive leggings underwear with SeasonFive socks. I put on boardshorts over the leggings so I wouldn't look like a ballet dancer then ScubaPro zip up booties. Sweatless t-shirt and hooded sweatshirt. The temperature was low 50's water temp I'm guessing low to mid 50's. Did a two hour tour paddle and was actually warm debating about taking off the sweatshirt. The SeasonFive underwear leggings or whatever you call it and socks are very comfortable and would highly recommend it. The ScubaPro zip up booties I can't say enough about them. The booties are warm, very comfortable and super easy to get in and out of.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard