Author Topic: Fall Touring Gear For The Northeast  (Read 9663 times)

bluecoast

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fall Touring Gear For The Northeast
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 04:27:20 AM »
Thanks for the review supthecreek...those are exactly what I'm looking for!

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 12:29:46 PM »
I've been wearing a set of Under Armour coldgear leggings and compression top (my usual skiing base layer) along with a fleece (which was tied around my waist most of the time) when I went on a couple flat water runs last weekend in the Finger Lakes in upstate new york (morning temperatures were in the 40's).   Good call on those Scuba Pro 5mm booties - my wife has a pair and they are a lot easier to step out of compared to my split toe 2mm surf version.  Will probably try to pick up a pair of paddling pants as the temperatures continue to drop though I'll be transitioning over to ski season come December. 
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 04:08:42 PM »
What happens to those things when you go swimming? Don't they fill up with water?

Piece of 8... These Kokatat paddling pants sound very similar to the Helly Hansens you mention, but they come with attached waterproof socks as well.

I just pull these over whatever, put on some neoprene booties... good to go, totally dry. Only $91 CDN.
Bunch of old shit

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 05:36:42 PM »
Mine aren't completely waterproof, just water resistant. I wear them when I don't plan on falling in. Those Kokatats look useful for bay and ocean type paddling, where you're definitely going to get wet. Are those one piece? Or do the boots go on first, and the pants latch around them?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 06:57:48 PM »
Good thread... I need some flatwater gear. Gonna get some zip booties for sure and like the idea of the pants. I'm thinking I may start doing a few nights/week on the Providence River after work. Getting dark so early but it's well lit so shouldn't matter.

Not to thread hijack but I'd love to have a SUP race during a Waterfire.....how cool would that be?
http://waterfire.org/
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 06:34:17 AM »
Check out leisurepro.com, they usually have really good prices on booties and some full suits too.  If you live on the east coast, your order will arrive the next day (with just standard ground shipping selected).  Their warehouse is in NJ and orders process ridiculously fast. 

All of the wetsuit stuff is under "Exposure Suits" on the left hand side.

In December, they have the "30 days of Christmas" and have 1 deal per day for the whole month.  Makes you buy lots of unnecessary gear but can't beat some of the deals.  Grabbed 5mm boots last year for $13 and a 3mm shorty for $35.  Not top of the line stuff by any means but good enough to get the job done for someone on a budget.

beaner

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 07:13:00 AM »
Addapost / piece of 8... The Kokatat's are completely waterproof and socks are attached. I even wear ski socks underneath the pants/socks, then zip-up booties over that. Completely dry, great for launches where you need to wade-in.

The waist is neoprene with Velcro straps, but not a full watertight seal like a rubber gasket. I wear these only when it is extremely unlikely to be going for a swim.

gringo jim

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 09:43:26 AM »
Been out down to 30 degrees.

When the lakes freeze over, that's time to hit the slow moving rivers. Been paddling Michigan water the past 24+ consecutive months. Well worth the small investment.

My cold weather setup. (zero cotton) Keeps everything dry and warm.

Layer against the skin:
Wool socks, wool hat
Poly top & bottom compression gear (thicker bottoms for colder temps)
Wool or waterproof rubber gloves

Next layer:
Thin wool sweater

Outer layer:
Waterproof paddling top and bottom
If needed, a heaver outer shell jacket

ADKSUPr

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 05:24:42 PM »
Update on stuff I've been trying.

I love my NRS hydroskin pants.  They seem to work over a pretty wide range of temperatures.  They were comfortable in the '40's (a beautiful sunny 40's) and they aren't too bad when it hits 60.  They're usually pretty wet inside from sweating, but they are comfortable when I'm paddling and I'm pretty sure they'd be comfortable if I fall in.

The NRS hydroskin jacket has been spending more time tied around my waist than anything.  I was really glad I had it when it was raining, into the wind, and in the 50's.  I'm finding that I have to wear a lighter layer underneath than I usually choose and that an under-armor long-sleeve compression top is too much of a base layer for anything in the mid-40's and up (if it's sunny).  I really like that it's easy to unzip or remove this jacket while SUP'ing.  The jacket is definitely warmer than I expected it to be. 

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 07:19:53 PM »
The Kokatat's are completely waterproof and socks are attached...

The waist is neoprene with Velcro straps, but not a full watertight seal like a rubber gasket...

beaner, do you know what model these are?  Or what model year they are?   I don't see any on the Kokotat web site that look like they have the attached socks.  Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place...

thanks!

beaner

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 06:04:17 AM »
CascadeSUP... They are there under the link you sent. Recreational Kayaking, page 4'' "Tempest Pant with Socks - Men's".

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 01:45:34 PM »
Went out this morning temps in the 40's probably low 50's when I actually took off. Had on Under Armour stretch tights (long legged underwear) NRS waterproof pants, Scubapro booties with 2mm neo socks, sleeveless t-shirt and Columbia windbreaker. Had to take off the windbreaker about 3/4 mile I was to hot. NRS pants were warm, Scubapro booties were warm and comfortable. Temp got up to my guess 55 degrees, finished the 5 mile island loop wearing the long NRS waterproof pants, sleeveless t and boots. Went back out after the loop in bear feat I was fine.

Tomorrow going out in neoprene boardshorts under regular boardshorts, sleeveless t, not sure about the booties yet. Temp should be around 58 degrees. Anyone debating about buying the Scubapro 5 mm zip up booties, don't just buy them. They are without a doubt the most comfortable booties I ever bought and that's after 30 years of windfsurfing.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 07:13:55 PM »
I got some Icebeaker merino wool base layer long sleeves and some briefs.  Fell in the other day and was surprised how warm I was in the wet woolies once I got out.  Conditions were ~15 C.  Got em on sale but I would pay double gladly.  Bonus - don't smell too badly unlike my technical fabrics. 

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal