Author Topic: Fall Touring Gear For The Northeast  (Read 9669 times)

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Fall Touring Gear For The Northeast
« on: October 12, 2012, 10:34:25 AM »
What's everyone wearing for fall touring gear in the northeast? Wetsuits, Gortex Jackets, Booties, Gloves, Dry Suits, etc.

I'm going with zip up booties, waterproof windbreaker like jacket and pants not Gortex and felt lined skin diver gloves when needed. Mysterioso underwear when needed or rash guard top and bottom.

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Touring Gear For The Northeast
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »
Hey Weed- I usually wear my 3/2 slip on booties, but just got some zip up 5 mil from a dive shop on closeout for $15. I prefer barefoot and try to go as long as I can without em.

I was up in the air about pants until I saw some water-resistant, quick drying pants at Helly Hansen in Newport RI. You can tighten them at the bottom around the bootie. Helly Hansen stuff is pretty bullet proof and guaranteed for life. However the price ($230) Yikes!, scared me away until I tried them on at $130 on sale and just had to have them

http://shop.hellyhansen.com/us/item/odin-guide-pant-66515/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:15:54 AM by piece of 8 »

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 04:25:10 PM »
Mr 8
You are going to love those boots... just unzip and walk away ;D

They are all I use....Last winter, I used the Zip Dive Boots for surfing and flatwater... never got cold in them, and they have a sturdy sole for R.I. rock dances. (I have a million dollar pair of O'Neil split toe jobbers that just about kill me to take off after a good session... never use them anymore)

ADKSUPr

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 04:44:23 PM »
I recently got NRS hydroskin pants and a jacket. So far, I like being able to unzip or remove the jacket.  It's quite warm and I've had paddles where I take it off and tie it around my waist when the wind is to my back, then have to put it on when I'm paddling against the wind.

I've paddled with them when it's in the high 50's in the rain and they are toasty warm.  I plan on layering fleece or a wind jacket over the top if needed.  I doubt I'll have to layer over the bottom.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 05:00:38 PM »
We did the last OC6 paddle of the year this morning. Wore my Quicksilver SUP jacket. It was great. It's suddenly fall in Hood River. The switch got flipped last night. The first cold rain hit my neck. I'm outta here.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Fark

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 05:04:44 PM »
Hey Weed- I usually wear my 3/2 slip on booties, but just got some zip up 5 mil from a dive shop on closeout for $15. I prefer barefoot and try to go as long as I can without em.

I was up in the air about pants until I saw some water-resistant, quick drying pants at Helly Hansen in Newport RI. You can tighten them at the bottom around the bootie. Helly Hansen stuff is pretty bullet proof and guaranteed for life. However the price ($230) Yikes!, scared me away until I tried them on at $130 on sale and just had to have them

http://shop.hellyhansen.com/us/item/odin-guide-pant-66515/

+1 for their gear.  I used to work at a sailing store and have a jacket from there that still looks brand new.  Works great on the boats, keep us posted on the SUP side.

beaner

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 04:23:03 AM »
Piece of 8... These Kokatat paddling pants sound very similar to the Helly Hansens you mention, but they come with attached waterproof socks as well.

I just pull these over whatever, put on some neoprene booties... good to go, totally dry. Only $91 CDN.

bluecoast

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 08:56:58 AM »
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good brand of zip on dive boots? I'm over fighting with my slip ons!

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 10:49:38 AM »
I have used my 5mm Scubapro Delta boots for surf & flat-water all winter in New England.
I have logged 100's of hours in the pair I will picture... they still look new.
I surf a lot of VERY rocky bottom breaks around NE. I can run over the rocks. The soles are very durable and they have good "feel" when surfing.

They are shorter than surf boots... but I don't find that a problem

They have a water barrier inside the zipper. My feet stay warm...
and the BEST part....
Just ZIP... and they fall off ;D ;D ;D

about $53
http://www.scubapro.com/en-US/USA/suits/boots-gloves/products/delta-boots.aspx

fms

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 11:29:46 AM »
thermo or non thermo compression pants and top with quicksilver jacket ,or NRS 2mm farmer john +compression top

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 01:09:30 PM »
I second the NRS farmer john. It's very versatile, especially on flatwater. Mine is mated with an NRS neoprene jacket, which I take on or off when needed.

I don't see the need for a long-sleeved wetsuit unless it's really cold or you're surfing. Most of the time it's your legs and torso which get dunked, at least on flatwater. Your arms are moving the most, so they should be free, unless it's really cold. I have a 5/4 Mutant, but I always end up overheated in that.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 01:38:02 PM »
I also have a farmer john for winter--O'Neill.  Very versatile.  You can add whatever you need over the top (and wear a rashguard, compression shorts, or whatever underneath as well).  And you can zip the front zipper up or down for more temperature regulation.  When it was cold last year, I wore old running shoes with wool socks--feet stay surprisingly warm even when wet, although some of the booties above look pretty great. 

When it's not as cold, I basically wear the same clothes I'd wear running in cold weather--layers of non-cotton clothes and windproof shell when needed.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »
Yesterday (Saturday) I went out for a 4 miler on the ocean in RI. The temp was chilly- in the low 50's- and the wind was pretty stiff at 14-18kts. I wore a pair of NRS Hydroskin 1/2 mm pants and 1/2 mm long sleeve top with a short sleeve gore-tex paddling jacket over that. 5mm booties and no gloves. Topped it off with a thin poly-pro hat. I was humping it pretty hard, especially the return upwind and was comfy in that get-up. The water still feels pretty warm though I didn't go in. Looks like we are gonna get some serious surf wednesday. I'll probably-finally- break out the 3/2.
Bunch of old shit

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 07:12:15 PM »
Not a flat post, but I tried my new 5 mil boots  at Coast Guard Beach yesterday, before hitting Oysterfest, in Wellfleet Ma.. I thought that in the mid 50's they might be too much but my feet were very comfortable without being overheated. These things will definitely get me through the winter and the best part as creek said? Unzip and walk away. When its in the 40's, the last thing I want to be doing is dealing with getting booties on and off. Ease of use is superb.

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 08:13:46 PM »
Picked up a pair of 5mm Scubapro zip up's last week. Haven't tried them yet but after reading Creek's review sounds like I made the right choice.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill