Author Topic: Hand/Finger Holds  (Read 4960 times)

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
Hand/Finger Holds
« on: August 24, 2008, 11:45:08 AM »
I would like to install a finger hold on one of my boards, so that my wife can carry it easier.  Anybody know if someone makes anything that I can epoxy into my board?  If not, I may just copy David John and use leash plugs/paddle.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Davy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hand/Finger Holds
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 07:26:03 PM »
oh my, you really want to put a hole in your board?

I suggest you take a look at THE BIG HOOK HAWAII website.
or go straight to the Manufacturers list on this site.

Great reviews from Blane Chambers of Paddle Surf Hawaii.

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 08:01:33 AM »
Aloha greatdane,

oh my, you really want to put a hole in your board? I suggest you take a look at THE BIG HOOK HAWAII website.
or go straight to the Manufacturers list on this site. Great reviews from Blane Chambers of Paddle Surf Hawaii.

If you decide to cut a hole in your board, then you can try what this "idiot" did and make a hand hold in his brand new board.....LOL  :D       Good Luck!  ;)

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1735.15

Aloha........Sam

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 10:39:32 AM »
You might consider adding inserts to do a strap instead of a handhold. Handholds are fine but a strap is much easier to install and works a lot better if you have to carry the board any distance at all. There's a great article by Linter on this subject on the old Ponohouse site. I need to move this over to Ke Nalu. http://www.ponohouse.com/ponoblog/2007/11/26/my-super-shoulder-strap-how-i-did-it-in-pix-and-words/

You can use a Schlepper without drilling anything, but inserts are easy and they really work better. You can stick the strap in your pocket or even shorten it up tight on the board and just leave it in place. I never get tangled in mine, but there''s always a first time.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 10:46:50 AM »
Thanks Sam, awesome project.

The Big Hook is cool, but you still have to leave it on shore, for who ever to steal possibly.  I'll figure something out.  I really like David Johns solution so far.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Byronmaui

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 10:49:19 AM »
Personally I would not put a strap on the board because to me a recipe for disaster and a severe injury. Try either a carry strap or something like what Sam did. Amazingly I have recently tried some boards with handle inserts and no toes were damaged.

Aloha

Byron

Poppy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 11:54:48 AM »
Sam,
Awsome board!!  nuff said ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 07:26:38 PM »
I'm confused Byron, how would a strap on a board be a recipe for disaster? I take mine off before I surf, but sometimes leave them on tight to the board for cruising. Most of my boards have handholds, and none of them balance the board well, especially if you've changed the fin. If you have to carry far your hand gets tired. With a strap you can either carry the board in a more balanced position (with the strap on the bottom edge of the board and fairly tight, making a long adjustable handle) or you can sling it over your shoulder.

If I need to go serious distance, or I have a lot of stuff to carry, or I'm riding my motorcycle to the beach to begin with, I use a SUP Mule. That REALLY solves the problem but you need to leave it on the beach. Haven't lost one yet, but I'm sure I will. Hell, someone stole my disgusting, ancient, worn out flip flops. Hope they enjoy that toe fungus.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 10:34:53 PM »
Sam, Awsome board!!  nuff said ;D
Mahalo....I'm in the process of making a hand hold & you can get all the parts you need at Home Depot.

Aloha........Sam

Byronmaui

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 11:19:57 PM »
I'm confused Byron, how would a strap on a board be a recipe for disaster? I take mine off before I surf, but sometimes leave them on tight to the board for cruising. Most of my boards have handholds, and none of them balance the board well, especially if you've changed the fin. If you have to carry far your hand gets tired. With a strap you can either carry the board in a more balanced position (with the strap on the bottom edge of the board and fairly tight, making a long adjustable handle) or you can sling it over your shoulder.

If I need to go serious distance, or I have a lot of stuff to carry, or I'm riding my motorcycle to the beach to begin with, I use a SUP Mule. That REALLY solves the problem but you need to leave it on the beach. Haven't lost one yet, but I'm sure I will. Hell, someone stole my disgusting, ancient, worn out flip flops. Hope they enjoy that toe fungus.
If you have a removeable strap that is different but if it is permanent my concern if toes getting caught.

Aloha

Byron

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 09:36:38 AM »
I have a handhold on my new board and my hand getts really tired after 200 yards of waking so I always end up putting it on my shoulder or head anyways.  IMO a trailer or over the shoulder strap is more comfortable and effective.
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 10:12:16 AM »
After seeing that strapped ULI i'm thinking I might try stowing my carry strap across the board....  Nah.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 02:38:37 AM »

If you have a removeable strap that is different but if it is permanent my concern if toes getting caught.

Aloha

Byron

i've been using a permanent strap for 1.5 yrs now and have yet to get a single toe caught in it  :D or run into a single problem with it in any other fashion.  and believe me i'm the kind of klutz if there's a way to get tangled i would have gotten tangled long ago.  i mean, i've gotten my leash wrapped around my legs, my waist and, once, my neck -- imho, it's the danger element here.

anyway, to each his own and sure, in theory, the strap looks like it might be a problem; but in practice it isn't.  my opinion?  try it you'll like it!

http://www.linter.org/supstrap/strapinstructions.html

please to notice how tight to the board the strap sits when cinched down.  but i've also forgotten to cinch it down and surfed with it flapping loose.  again, i haven't had any issues with it .... tho perhaps now would be a good time for me to knock on wood.  knock! 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 03:09:15 AM by linter »

Mahana

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 07:38:55 AM »
My friend Larry Allison uses ProBox fin boxes to retro in a hand holds.

Without and insert, there is plenty of room for fingers and you can get a flush mount insert to put in the box while surfing.

Aloha,
Mahana

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal