Author Topic: pushing through the white water  (Read 2723 times)

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
pushing through the white water
« on: October 03, 2012, 02:45:13 PM »
so I just finished my sixth season.

there were many threads here about how to cross the white water and the common wisdom since the beginning of time was to accelerate, to step back, to lift the nose and to cross the white water.

I must say it never really worked for me, except it smacked me couple times in my weakest part (the head that is), but it was unintentionally of course :)

Two years ago I got my Mana 9.0 and gradually things changed, just by trail and error.

What I do now is pushing through white water. The move is really tough to dissect, but it looks something like that. I bend in the knees before and as it hits the nose I extend, pushing the nose forward and under through my heels. (i.e. it feels like I push it with my heels, weird feeling, nothing to compare with) It works really well for me both in the wall of white water and also pushing through the crushing lip. I guess it won't work on a bigger floatier boards with wide noses, but for me on my board it is way easier method. I never do this step back part anymore. And in really powerfull white water the nose still can pop up, if you dont push it enough. With usual consequences. So still have to be prepared.

Another slogan on this forum was "meet power with power" or something like this, meaning that you should accelerate in front of the upcoming white water.  Again I generally avoid doing this. If I see the wall of white water approaching, I'd rather wait. With every meter it travels it dissipates a lot of energy and I have better chances to cross it, why to hurry???

The only times when I rush towards it, is if I see different pattern behind it. E.g. I hope that by clearing it faster I can all together clear the breaking zone faster (e.g. it is a lull)

Another advice was that after it hits you you better have your paddle in the water. This one I am finding very useful, but again the point for me is to stick the paddle in the water not to propel me forward or pull through the white water, but to simply have a third leg in the water. Yes, most of the time I want to start a stroke after I stick it in the water, but not always. With time I had recognized that often it is much better to allow it to do whatever it wants, sometimes the backstroke is required to maintain the balance.

Sometimes with the paddle in the water, when I loose the balance I just rotate the handle clockwise and counterclockwise and clockwise again. Its just like screwing in the blade and it allows me to regain the balance

Sometimes (e.g. the chest high lips barrels and hits me) there is not a chance I can stick it behind the lip. Still attempting to do so results in hitting the wave just behind the lip flat with a blade, and it helps a lot too.

Sitting low is another good thing, also it allows you to position your paddle further away from the board.  You do two things - lower your center of gravity, plus extending your base. But it is not always possible (like with lip starting to barrel if you lower yourself it will hit you in the face, not in the chest or hips).

wow... I just reread what I wrote and realized that I had deviated from my Subject... but while I am still at this let me give couple more thoughts.

Sometimes I loose the balance and one of my rails go under. It used to be the end, but recently I have found that instead of fighting (and loosing) I have to allow the foot to extend as much as the board wants and to bend another knee, releasing the pressure on another rail completely. I was able to recover several times using this approach.

Also, I never kneel (not that there is something wrong with this, haha :) )
I admit, I bend over (and again nothing is wrong with this either)

Jokes aside, kneeling is an act of self defeat, like throwing the white flag. And may be in the beginning lowering yourself closer to the water feels safer, but for me in reality I have way more balance and control standing straight up. Again think of wall of white water hitting you in the chest, what chances do you have?

Bending over is another story, you fight for the balance till very end and if it throws you forward you bend over, but you still standing and after regaining the balance you already in upright position.

And finally, I must say that in our spot crossing white water is just 50% of the game. It is like backcountry skiing, if you don't enjoy climbing up, you better stick to the lifts or pay thousands for heli. So I must say that crossing the tough white water gives me a lot of satisfaction. its different than riding a tough way, but I enjoy it never the less

my 0.02 cents...

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
Re: pushing through the white water
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »
I agree that the paddle out is almost as much fun as catching a wave in.  A perfectly executed push through whitewater is a thing of beauty. 

The one tip I end up giving beginners over and over after watching them fail is to get that paddle in the water just before the wave hits you.  If you don't, you end up moving backwards, and that almost always equals a fall.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 07:08:50 PM »
I've always loved fighting whitewater. It's been a big part of my SUP workouts and my balance therapy.

I know what you mean about smaller being a game changer. My South County is a 9'er also but it does have a wider noise. I think you have to adjust your method to the board. What I do on my 9er is very different than my 12-6. What I describe here is what I do on the 9'er.

I agree with some of what you said but most of my experience has been different. I can get over the whitewater from a head to head+ wave probably 50% of the time, anything less than that and it jumps up quickly.

I think what you explain as a push is very similar to what I do in bigger whitewater. I try and place the nose of my board just into the crumbling lip so that the board doesn't buck hard back at you but slices through the lip. I still hit it at an upward angle to get up and over but having some water go over the top helps keep control. If I hit it perfect the board and my legs from the knees down slice through. I do push the board through with a slight lean back (push from the heels), the angle of the lean is dependant on the angle and speed of the wave.
I also will wait for a wave slightly...both to square myself up to the wave and better see whats happening.

I do however always meet it with power. I'll wait and then paddle HARD to meet it. I always plant the paddle as closely into the wave as I can and then apply the push. I let the wave kick me back up to vertical and always leave my paddle in the water for balance. It almost feels what I imagine a pole vaulter does planting the pole and then pushing off on it. Once I start coming down the backside I start paddling hard for a couple of strokes to get back forward momentum and stability.

For smaller waves I do just step back and pop over, pretty much just keep paddling with a slight hesitation as I go over for balance. I find it lets me maintain speed better and get out faster.

I will also knee paddle occasionally if I need to get moving quickly but will always get up as soon as possible. It's always easier to go over standing up.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 07:17:00 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

downriver

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 06:57:13 AM »
Hi Alap,  good post.  On the part where you talk about letting a lost edge go down even deeper, I know that feeling, and I can not explain what happens.  When my board tilts "too far"  I try to think about lifting the other foot rather than pushing down.  Same result, except that the weight center goes lower .

M

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 07:47:41 AM »
I don't think meeting power with power meant racing out to get bashed sooner.  I station keep
(hold position) until the coast is clear.  Meet power with power to me, means to be strong, determined, and confident when going thru them.  Keeping your paddle wet is also important.

Sounds like its working well for you.  The biggest factor in getting better is your determination. Then the swell picks up and serves more humble pie.  Knowing your limits is also good because in larger surf you will need a different paddle technique to go thru.   

TWsup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 09:14:58 AM »
Hej guys. great advice. I got pretty proud of myself reading that. I'm on a 9-2 Allwave in waist high wind waves with 4 sec period. no one SUPs or SUSs where I am, so there's no one to watch and learn from.

I've seen a few 20 something's trying to paddle surf, I suspect they will join me next year after seeing me actually get waves while they just paddled around.

I've only SUSed 5-6 times this summer.
but what you describe is what I'm doing, so I will keep doing it.

more advice welcome.
Bark Competitor 12-6
Fanatic Allwave 9-2
Naish Keiki 9-0

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal