Author Topic: Paddle length trend  (Read 9272 times)

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle length trend
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 02:53:39 PM »
I'm running about 8" over head on both my paddles, it works great for me...  I had a longer paddle, like 10" over but it just felt too long in the surf...
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 03:59:17 PM »
shorter does seem like the new trend but I think the correct answer is trial and error, you gotta find out what works for you, everyone is different, some have longer upper bodies, or have more muscular frames, body composition has to be a major role.

I personally think you have more control with a slightly shorter paddle, since getting nto racing this past summer I purchased a Kialoa toro with 9-10 inches overhead, I'm having difficulties with fluttering, dont know if its the extra length or the paddle blade, anybody else experience this?  I'm thinking about trying to make it shorter but dont want to mess up the paddle.
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

EPIC-BOARDSPORTS

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • EPIC BOARDSPORTS
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 12:11:45 PM »
Shorter in the waves definitely seems better, and more fun, looks like most agree with that. But, for racing and fitness, it seems like trend and/or pain keep us changing things up, continuously.

I was using 8" above my head for my QB race paddle. It seemed more efficient for a Tahitian recovery, which I was trying. I also liked using more leg movement (squatting) to get deeper too, but man, on the longer races my legs and lower back were torn up. Now I'm back to 11.5" overhead on my Werner Grand Prix, and I really like it. At least now I have the option of doing more or less squatting.

What seems strange to me is watching videos of some pros during races where it obviously looks like the paddle shaft is already perpendicular to the water when they are just getting their blade in the water, and beginning their pull. If you are talking physics, and efficiency, this can't be optimal, right?  Just seems to me that there must be a point where the paddle is too short for ideal efficiency. If you are going to take full advantage of the most powerful part of the stroke don't you have to have the blade submersed before it is vertical?
EPIC BOARDSPORTS
COCOA BEACH, FL
EPIC-BOARDSPORTS.COM
FACEBOOK.COM/EPICBOARDSPORTS
321-406-1964

1medic

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 02:19:23 PM »
shorter does seem like the new trend but I think the correct answer is trial and error, you gotta find out what works for you, everyone is different, some have longer upper bodies, or have more muscular frames, body composition has to be a major role.

I personally think you have more control with a slightly shorter paddle, since getting nto racing this past summer I purchased a Kialoa toro with 9-10 inches overhead, I'm having difficulties with fluttering, dont know if its the extra length or the paddle blade, anybody else experience this?  I'm thinking about trying to make it shorter but dont want to mess up the paddle.

Your right about trial and error.

Your Kialoa Toro issue may be a combination of things. During the power phase of your stroke you want to make sure; your grip is loose during your power phase, have the paddle shaft vertical as well as not "muscling" the paddle. For example pulling yourself past your paddle with a "firm" not "hard"stroke. The Kialoa blade design is not very forgiving when it comes to fluttering but it is controllable with a structured stroke technique.

martin sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 11:40:17 PM »
hi,
i am 74/75" tall. and like to ride my sup as fast as possible   :) 
last year i had a 87" paddle. in september i changed to 83/84" 
the last weeks i tried several times a 79/80" and i also like it...

the thing is, the shorter feels like more fun and stable...
the longer like being faster.

i tried to measure the speed but i didnt get any result.
the "runtastic" i use is too inaccurate.  ond for a longer distance the conditions are always different to compare... 

i have one "best paddle", and i am afraid of cutting and then not liking it...   (??) 
and reading your posts the 83/84" length should be ok...   ???

JohnnyMaya

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 01:38:03 PM »
I was using my paddles 2" or 3" overhead. Recently I chopped one of the about nose height. Just for fun!

While I'm still getting used to it, because you loose a lot of paddle usage as a tool to provide balance, and I'm still falling a lot becasuse of it, it is getting better and better.

The benefits while surfing are amazing as you will lower your center of gravity a lot more during turns, specially carving turns.
Switching the paddle from side to side also beacomes even easier since it is really dificult to hit the deck of the board, even if you want to.

Another big thing is while using the paddle on the face of the wave while surfing backhand.
Much better and easier!!!

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 04:26:34 PM »
Martinsup,
You need a velocitek.   Hands down the best tool for dialing in your stroke.  I think it is more useful than my Garmin by far.  (I still use both though).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal