Author Topic: Stick or hit?  (Read 2887 times)

SkyeSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Stick or hit?
« on: August 31, 2012, 10:24:41 PM »
Currently own a C4 10 6 iSup (first board) and a Amundson 12 6 TRX (like but don't love), 99% flat water/wind swell but SUSed (on the iSUP) for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it. Would like to surf more  (realistically only going to be 2-3x/year) and thinking would get more out of it on a more suitable board. Seriously thinking about selling one (would sell the TRX first) or both boards and picking up something else, was thinking of the Nalu 10 10 - seems like a good compromise of flat water and surf performance. Demo'd it today and liked it although was windy so didn't really get good impression of it's flat water speed. Wife's on my case so don't want to be frivolous, does this make sense or does anyone have any better suggestions? Should I be content with what I already have? I'm 6 ft 180 lb.

SkyeSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Stick or hit?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 01:30:15 PM »
...maybe should have asked a more succinct question rather than some Friday night post bear ramblings. Guess what I'm interested in is if anyone has decided to switch from a displacement style board to a surf style? If so, what were the reasons and how did it work out? If I didn't have to justify it, I'd get both but unfortunately I do so that's out of question for the time being.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:55:26 PM »
Currently own a C4 10 6 iSup (first board) and a Amundson 12 6 TRX (like but don't love), 99% flat water/wind swell but SUSed (on the iSUP) for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it. Would like to surf more  (realistically only going to be 2-3x/year) and thinking would get more out of it on a more suitable board. Seriously thinking about selling one (would sell the TRX first) or both boards and picking up something else, was thinking of the Nalu 10 10 - seems like a good compromise of flat water and surf performance. Demo'd it today and liked it although was windy so didn't really get good impression of it's flat water speed. Wife's on my case so don't want to be frivolous, does this make sense or does anyone have any better suggestions? Should I be content with what I already have? I'm 6 ft 180 lb.

Where are you located?

American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

SkyeSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »
Vancouver, Canada. So >90% of the paddling I do is flat water/wind swell. Closest surfing on Vancouver Island or Washington state.

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 02:15:03 PM »
Sell the iSup and get a surf style board, then you have the best of both worlds. 

That would be justified.  Need a displacement board for all the flatwater paddling you do.  Also, need a surf board so you can learn that side of the sport.  You have two boards now, you are just swapping one out.

Unfortunately this sport can be a little expensive.  So buying used in another option.  I have never tried the nalu so I can't comment. 

Good luck.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 08:45:35 AM »
The cheapest thing is to stick with what you have, it's probably adequate.

If you REALLY want to go to a single board you need something really versatile. I sound like a broken record on this issue, but the MOST versatile board I've ever owned (and still do) is the old Starboard 12'2". Take the thrusters out and it's one of the fastest surf-style boards around in flatwater, put the thrusters in and it's a nice surfboard with a real "longboard-y" feel. Screw a mast base on and it's the best SUP sailboard I've found. If you can find one you might get it for $5-600 (I paid $600 for mine, new--it had been sitting gathering dust for years). One of your fellow Vancouverites (Bruce Quarrie I think his name is) found one somewhere and kicked my ass with it at the last Round the Rock race. I did it on my 12'2" and thought I was winning the surfboard class by a mile. Pooped out in the last mile and started falling, and some other surfboards passed me, but Bruce was WAY ahead anyway, beating a lot of the 14' boards.

Expect to fall a lot at first if you get one, even with some experience. they are treacherous--straight rails, not much rocker, and a squash tail means once they start rolling over they don't stop, which is why they were never popular, but once you get used to it you wonder what the fuss was all about.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SkyeSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 08:22:38 PM »
Just back in from an evening paddle in some fun wind/tide swell on the trx, had a lot of fun and made me realize that I should keep that (or maybe sell and get a glide, which I think is the board I wanted all along) and do what Deadbait suggested and get rid of the iSUP and keep an eye for a used surf board. Would like to take my daughter out once she's old enough so not sure the Starboard 12'2" sounds like the best thing :) but thanks for the pointer PB. Trouble with this sport, like skiing for me, all these shiny new things are too tempting, and too expensive ;)

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 08:53:12 PM »
14 Glide is my favorite board of all time! The older one with the slipper nose. I live in White Rock and it catches our swells perfectly. If space is an issue, look around for an older 12 Glide. Very fun, surfy feel.The New 12,6 is not quite as fun on swells IMO.
Cheers!

SkyeSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 04:54:22 PM »
Cheers corlot. Any recommended paddling areas around White Rock?

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 10:16:55 PM »
Tons of good spots. I find the wind is normally directly on shore. With the shallow tidal flats, we actually can get wind swept waves! Send me a pm and I can give you some good launch spots.
Cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal