Author Topic: inflatable pfd/hydration pack combination?  (Read 11894 times)

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: inflatable pfd/hydration pack combination?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 03:42:56 AM »
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

johnrg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 04:13:43 PM »
OK folks....TA DA!!!  Answer to your quest...

http://distressedmullet.com/gear-review-camelbak-tahoe-model-hydration-pack

Close and addresses just carrying a pfd though at some point the CG is going to say wear it like it's designed. Also, for me at least, the added weight at the very outside/back is an issue especially with a full bladder. I'de like to see one of the companies that makes the slim/low profile pfd do a better integration. Theirs could fit in front without as much bulk as the standard PFD and an appropriately sized poch for a bladder could be added in the rear with a side buckle or whatever might work..

Love all my Camelback products and my go to bladder, but when you market a pfd/bladder it's got to be ueable as is and not have to pull out, strap on and get one last breath and hope you can pull the ripcord and get it over your bleeding head before the mermaids come into view ;-)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 04:38:52 PM »
OK folks....TA DA!!!  Answer to your quest...

http://distressedmullet.com/gear-review-camelbak-tahoe-model-hydration-pack

Close and addresses just carrying a pfd though at some point the CG is going to say wear it like it's designed. Also, for me at least, the added weight at the very outside/back is an issue especially with a full bladder. I'de like to see one of the companies that makes the slim/low profile pfd do a better integration. Theirs could fit in front without as much bulk as the standard PFD and an appropriately sized poch for a bladder could be added in the rear with a side buckle or whatever might work..

Love all my Camelback products and my go to bladder, but when you market a pfd/bladder it's got to be ueable as is and not have to pull out, strap on and get one last breath and hope you can pull the ripcord and get it over your bleeding head before the mermaids come into view ;-)
I agree completely.  The Camelbak packs don't work at all, because the pfd can't deploy.  I assume to be legal, when you pull the ripcord, the pfd has to be able to inflate.  All the ones I know come in a pack with a velcro flap, so when you pull the cord, the pfd pops the flap apart as it inflates.  If you stuff the pfd into the sling of a Tahoe, that can't happen.  Even if that's legal, it doesn't work.  The point is to be alive, not legally compliant, well hydrated and dead.  

It's a bit shocking to me that Camelbak markets the Tahoe as working with a pfd, because it seems like they're opening themselves up to huge liability--esp. now that the entire world knows about the problem because it's posted on standupzone.

It seems like the design could be tweaked with your ideas or others, and there'd be lots of demand for that.  It's so close to working....

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:40:32 PM by pdxmike »

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: inflatable pfd/hydration pack combination?
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 05:58:07 PM »
The camelback vest has a flap that holds your inflatable pfd, but its poor quality, worn mine twice and threads are unraveling everywhere, but like the hydration system at my waist. Added benefit for us old folks is its like an ice pack on your lower back.

I haven't had an issue with the build quality of that SUP specific Camelbak (the Baja) butlike the Tahoe, the cargo space set aside for an inflatable PFD is too small for any inflatable PFD that I've ever seen. What were they thinking?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:59:58 PM by PT Woody »

paddlestandingup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 05:59:40 PM »
Very timely for me as I have been thinking about this a lot.  I recently returned a new Camelbak Octane that just wasn't working for me.  It's great and has lots of pockets and storage BUT it's a pain to wear while paddling.  For drinking from, it's good but forget about accessing any of the storage aside from the tiny side pockets.  For me, being taller than normal, they are hard to get into as they are so high up my sides.  For getting anything out of the pack, you have to stop and go through all that of course.

I got the Tahoe instead as I figure I can wear it with my regular pfd or my MTI inflatable.  I would just wear the inflatable in the front.  If I need to carry some extra gear, I will just put that stuff in dry bag attached to the deck.  Probably better to keep the weight low anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal