Author Topic: inflatable pfd/hydration pack combination?  (Read 11892 times)

moonsup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
inflatable pfd/hydration pack combination?
« on: August 30, 2012, 06:14:30 PM »
for the love of nemo, has anyone heard of somebody producing a combination co2 pfd /hydration hip pack?

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: inflatable pfd/hydration pack combination?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 07:05:41 PM »
Seriously! Talking about a need piece of equipment.

Actually, wasn't there an Australian outfit that was making them?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 07:49:48 PM »
I believe this unit offers both flotation AND hydration...

No idea on whether she is Australian or not  :D

-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

westbeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 11:44:19 AM »
Mokie out of NZ makes a vest type pfd with a built in compartment for your bladder. But due to CG certification, they are not legal in the NA.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: inflatable pfd/hydration pack combination?
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 08:28:09 AM »
The camelback vest has a flap that holds your inflatable pfd, but its poor quality, worn mine twice and threads are unraveling everywhere, but like the hydration system at my waist. Added benefit for us old folks is its like an ice pack on your lower back.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

GreatLakesWaterman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 09:49:42 PM »
Camelbak Tahoe with an MTI fluid PFD.  I like the Tahoe for longer outings.

Neki

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 10:10:46 PM »
I believe this unit offers both flotation AND hydration...

No idea on whether she is Australian or not  :D

Wow, everyone soo quick to jump off the subject of floatation devices. :'( .
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 10:20:51 PM by Neki »

mtmilam

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 08:17:31 AM »
I have the Camelback Tahoe....and there is NO Way that a Waist worn Inflatable PFD will Inflate is stored in the mess pocket on the Tahoe....You still have to strap on the Tahoe and then strap on the PFD and make sure it can open........Unless I'm not seeing something obvious.

It would be nice to only have one waist strap with the combined PFD and Hydrationg.....Funny thing is Tahoe Advertises that it can Hold a PFD........Yeah, as long as you don't try to deploy the pfd.
Mark
Hobie 14' Elite 2012
BOTE HD 12' 2012
14' Mistral M1 race inflatable
Red Board Race 12'6" inflatable
BOTE Breeze 11' inflatable
Red Paddle 12'6" explorer inflatable
Tower 12'6" race board
Hobie DuraDUP

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »
If you are not sure you could rotate the pfd pack to the front while in the water, just wear it in front as a belly pack.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 11:31:23 AM »
I have the Camelback Tahoe....and there is NO Way that a Waist worn Inflatable PFD will Inflate is stored in the mess pocket on the Tahoe....You still have to strap on the Tahoe and then strap on the PFD and make sure it can open........Unless I'm not seeing something obvious.

It would be nice to only have one waist strap with the combined PFD and Hydrationg.....Funny thing is Tahoe Advertises that it can Hold a PFD........Yeah, as long as you don't try to deploy the pfd.
I saw the same thing-Camelbak advertising it can hold a pfd.  And you're right it could never deploy.  Apart from meaning that the pfd won't work, it also means (I'm sure) that you could still get ticketed for not having a legal pfd.   As I understand, inflatable pfds have to be worn (so you can't tape it to your board) and that would also mean deployable, not stuffed into a pocket or under a strap that doesnt' allow it to open.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:38:15 AM by pdxmike »

mtmilam

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 01:13:11 PM »
If you are not sure you could rotate the pfd pack to the front while in the water, just wear it in front as a belly pack.

Sort of what you have to do...either have both strapped on in the back, with the PFD on the outside, then rotate if you net to deploy it (mainly used to be "legal") OR   Wear it as a belly pack.....If you  try to reboard your board, from the side, the belly position may get in your way......

If I wear both, I'll put the PFD pack sort of off to the side in the back, that way you can rotate easier, Its almost around anyway and it doesn't interfere with getting back on the board.......Only Real Reason to have the PFD is if you feel yourself going Unconscious for some reason, (heat stroke, heart attack, bonking, whatever) at least Hopefully in your last few seconds you pull the cord and Maybe get it on.......Good Luck, we all take our chances :D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 01:14:42 PM by mtmilam »
Mark
Hobie 14' Elite 2012
BOTE HD 12' 2012
14' Mistral M1 race inflatable
Red Board Race 12'6" inflatable
BOTE Breeze 11' inflatable
Red Paddle 12'6" explorer inflatable
Tower 12'6" race board
Hobie DuraDUP

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 06:02:55 PM »
Anyone tried this Tahoe with a PFD yet? Any chance the PFD can be deployed? Looking to consolidate my waist hydration and waist PFD.
Semper Fi!

It's simple, either you get the wave or the wave gets you.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 06:17:47 PM »
I emailed Camelbak a while ago and asked how it would work, since their description said it was ideal for an inflatable pfd, but it looked like it couldn't be deployed.  They responded that the inflatable pfd they had in mind was the kind you wear over your shoulders, not the kind that you'd stuff into the sling on the Tahoe.  

I told them that made no sense, since I've never seen anyone EVER use that kind for SUP, plus then what's the point--you're getting the waist hydration pack so you don't have to wear it on your shoulders, then with their solution, you swap your belt pfd for one on your shoulders--you've just swapped locations of the two things.  They seemed to agree.

I told them if they did come up with a waist hydration pack that really did work to carry a pfd--that could actually be deployed--they'd sell one to every paddler I know.  But in the meantime, if someone drowns and when they pull the body out of the water they find an inflatable pfd stuck unusable in the sling, some lawyer is going to quote from their video that it's "ideal for a pfd" or whatever the language was, and sue them.  

It seems like a velcro sling could solve it.

This is the response I got:
Thanks for the response.  It’s good to hear experiences from the locals in different areas because the laws are always subject to interpretation of some sort and we’re not eager to make you explain yourself to a law enforcement agent.  Our conclusion here with regard to the packs:

The Tahoe suggested for use with a behind the head style of PFD (should be a picture pasted below)

The idea is that the back mesh on the Tahoe allows the PFD’s waist and spine strap to travel through the gaps in the mesh so the two can be worn together.

A pack like our Molokai is to be used with a waist style of inflatable PFD (below)

The idea there is that the Molokai has nothing around the waist, so you can wear this item around the front of your body, thus it can be worn at the same time as the Molokai hydration pack.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:01:41 PM by pdxmike »

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 07:12:30 PM »
One of our top local racers wears one of the collar style inflatables and a waist hydration pack, seems to work for him. I sort of do the opposite, I wear an inflatable waist PFD and a hydro backpack. The combo is pretty comfortable for racing and downwinders:

and it's compliant with our state marine safety regs (although most open ocean races down here seem to be mandating type 2 vest PFDs, so now we end up with a quiver of PFDs as well as paddles, fins boards etc)

PT woody has recently acquired a Camelbak Baja that claims to have a space for an inflatable PFD but a) there isn't really room for the type that's approved here in OZ and b) If I were in such trouble that I needed to deploy my PFD I'd rather be wearing it, rather than having to dick about trying to extract it from a backpack pocket , clip it around my waist, Then try to deploy it.  

I haven't thought through the why but I'm more comfortable having the two functions separate, and I suspect that it might be pretty hard to make a usable waist PFD/Hydro combo with a big enough hydro bladder to make it worthwhile without making it very bulky and uncomfortable.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:17:45 PM by upwinder »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

johnrg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 08:02:16 PM »
The best solution would be one attachment belt for bladder and pfd. Wearing the inflatable waist unit in front isn't a problem for me and it stays put pretty well. It's the camelback waist pack that wants to move down quickly while racing and loaded with water. When you add a belt strap for each, one pulls the other down or as was in my case in Tahoe last year, the belt pinched my water hose so 10 miles with no water and as I leaped off my board almost fell as my camelback dropped to my knees! My solution for a manufacturer would be a modular solution. Be able to attach the pfd of any sort to the belt of the camelback or other. Stich in the buckle attachments on the sides of the camelback belt or some other suitable method so it's one belt to attach both. They also could provide an accessory pfd pouch with the short belt clips and no strap so you'de use the custom belt. The belt then could be a universal belt that holds both or your choice as needed. As long as the Coast Guard doesn't require a boat anchor to be carried too we could surrvive.

I can't wear the over the shoulder units. my jersey rides up the first 1/4 mile and prefer not paddling with a bra. So many inventions but no great solutions. I may have to buy a heavy duty used sewing machine and make my own and then patent it and head to Shark Tank.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal