Author Topic: Shortening a paddle  (Read 1644 times)

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Shortening a paddle
« on: January 31, 2013, 01:11:16 PM »
I have an old fiberglass paddle that I would like to shorten for my son. The original epoxy work done on the handle wasn't that great, so I'm pretty sure I can get the grip out of the shaft.  What would anyone recommend for cutting the shaft down, and what to use to re-adhere the handle to the shaft?  

This is a one time job, so I can't justify buying any expensive tools.  Do I need epoxy, or would a glue similar to what is used on ke nalu paddles work?  Best blade to cut the shaft?  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:12:56 PM by Old School »

DurhamSUP

Re: Shortening a paddle
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:27:56 PM »
Any fine tooth hack saw would work just fine. Hot glue is great if you ever want to take it apart again. High strength hot glue would be best, but I would think you would be OK with regular hot glue for a kids paddle. Some cheap 5 min epoxy would work too.
Heck, I went one year on a paddle that had the handle attached with electrical tape. You could go with that method to slowly shorten the paddle to get the right length.

SUPCHLU

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Shortening a paddle
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »
Was shown a little tip on using some masking tape around the handle to use as a guide to assure a square, even cut.

Slowly work your way around the handle in small/short cuts along the tape....around, and around, and around (sort of like using a pipe cutter), until the cut is complete. 

Don't just try to hacksaw your way through it like sawing a log.

Done it this way several times, and the cuts have come out perfect every time.....and the hot glue is the hot setup. 

Blow dryer (or heat gun if you're careful) on the hot glue later on, and the handle comes off if you want to replace it, or resize the shaft/paddle again.

Good luck, it really is pretty easy....go for it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal