Author Topic: A Loss for words  (Read 2352 times)

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Loss for words
« on: August 28, 2012, 10:09:36 AM »
Hi all! 

I have been raising grand children for over 3 years.  Their ages are 7, 6 and twins at 5.
Their mom and her boyfriend Mike was over. The mother has been telling her kids to call Mike "dad".   After the mom and her boyfriend left my 6 year old came up to me and asked

Do you mind if I call you dad? 

I gave him a hug and really did not know what to say.  It was a special moment!

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: A Loss for words
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:24:40 AM »
SPECIAL!

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 11:15:35 AM »
The title "Dad" is like respect.  It is earned.  Sorry to Mike and Kudos to you.

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 11:47:19 AM »
your mother and father are the people that donated genetic material to you, your mom and dad are the people that pick you up when you fall and comfort you.  There is a special kind of karma for people that take care of kids, that give them good homes, because no one else is. 

I think it is an honor to have a child want you as his/her dad.
Obfuscation through elucidation

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 02:15:47 PM »
How do you respond to that without getting choked up?  I guess that's what the hugs are for.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 02:47:50 PM »
Tube,

Thanks for sharing.  The purity of motive of a six year old kid laying it on the line... I bet that was a pretty special hug.  So much meaning with so few words.  Congratulations.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 07:26:13 AM »
Thank you!

Its tough to do.  I have no genetic contribution.  I have been taking the older boys surfing.  My 7 year old caught his first salmon last week a 21 pound fish and was he excited.  I take them on jeep rides in the mountains where we go shooting and find remote swimming holes.  Its not all fun.  They require a lot of discipline and things get really wild around our home.  I am dealing with ADHD in the oldest and probably the youngest boy as well. I also have had to arm up more than once to protect my family from the kids dad.  He is  gang banger locked up now for another 20 years.  The oldest is on prescribed drugs to manage his condition.  I have been so close to running so many times and then they come around and say poppi,  I love you.   

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 11:53:14 AM »
No question....you are Dad!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal