Author Topic: Rare positive vibes from Surfers  (Read 6272 times)

SkyeSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Rare positive vibes from Surfers
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 02:42:42 PM »
Was in Tofino a couple of weeks back sup surfing for the first time (have tried to prone surf before), was really surprised by the lack of sups there - I think I saw 3 total in 3 days, I was under the impression they/we were taking over the world  8) Although it was busy, I followed the advice on here and tried to keep away from others (although on a beach with multiple surf lessons that was hard) and be courteous to those I was close to. Although I was for sure a kook (correct usage?), I didn't get any negative feeling from anyone and had some good chat with some. That said, it was pretty mellow and I don't think there weren't many if any real locals out. Loved the surfing, can't wait to get back!

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Rare positive vibes from Surfers
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »
I've been longboard surfing the same area for about 10+ years. The spot consists of 2 or 3 breaks and there is a pretty local crowd that I've always been friendly with. I'm a pretty average / mediocre surfer, but do pretty good for being 65 years old. I've got a lot of friends where I surf, but rarely get complements.

Since I've started SUPing the same breaks (I was one of the first) I've gotten just a few negative vibes, but I'd have to say that overall my status as a surfer has improved. Some of the really good surfers are now commenting on my sessions when before they never did.

I think some of it has to do with that being a Stand Up, I am much more noticeable and when I ride a good wave, people can figure out its me, not just another guy on a longboard wearing a black wetsuit.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal