Author Topic: Looking for waist leash  (Read 14669 times)

Norwegian SUPer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looking for waist leash
« on: August 25, 2012, 12:27:56 PM »
Hi,

I have a bad knee, so I'm looking for a leash that won't put strain on my rear leg (when in surfstance).
I've looked at this http://salamanderpaddlegear.com/product/sup-bag-with-coiled-leash-carry-strap ,but I'd prefer one that didn't have a bag attached to it. I also read somewhere on this forum that a guy named Crow Haley makes waist leashes, but from the look of the website I found, they seemed kind of focused on local business (I sent them a mail anyhu).

So if any of you know where I can get a waist leash for SUPsurfing, I'd love to hear about it.

Regards

Espen

SUP Viking

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looking for waist leash
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »
http://www.imaginesurf.com/?post_type=imaginesurf_product&p=841

Good luck on the search! This one seems solid. I'm sorry i dont know much about that style.  :)
"Fear of the uknown is the greatest fear of all, but we just went for it"

Norwegian SUPer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 09:20:45 AM »
Thank you! That looks like a more streamlined option.

Only, it states that the leash is only 4 mm thick so, as it says, it will snap under minimal pressure. Maybe I can use the waist attachment and just swithch out the leash with a more robust one...

PS How thick would you recommend a SUPsurf leash should be?

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 04:33:40 PM »
Yeah I've seen one of those 4mm coils attached to an 18' board with a fairly heavy rider paddling out into a bit of chop and small waves. It wouldn't last the first fall, I don't think.

Dave J

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 06:39:01 AM »
A friend of mine uses a nylon belt and attaches the leash to the belt. He has problems with knees and ankles. He is a longboarder and says this also keeps the leash out of his way when moving around on the board.

Northern Supper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 02:10:04 AM »
Call Crow on the Phone http://www.resinworks.net/crowhaley.html

He waist leashes work. I blew my MCL and have used them for 2 years.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 04:04:54 PM »
Is the waist leash like the fanny pack of SUP?  :D
Taller than most, shorter than others.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 05:46:37 PM »
2 1/2 thumbs up for waist leashes.   Around here everybody who rides big waves uses a waist leash.  All Crow Haley's for that matter.

I have realized they are in fact superior to ankle leashes for everything but fishing from a SUP. 

For starters when getting dragged backwards you can roll over and breath.  Those people who have been dying in Rivers and from snags were no doubt wearing ankle leashes.  I have been dragged so fast backwards that I was nearly planing, yet I got pulled to the surface like a fishing lure and was breathing the entire time.

When you are ready to start switching your feet, go left, go right . . . no problem.  Just go. 

To add to the goof, when I use a longer, big wave leash I coil it up with little velcro and keep the leash from dragging.  Sure they call me the cable guy and other funny things but it works, and no drag. 

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 10:50:47 AM »
I use a knee leash in surf and a waist leash in WW.  I can see the waist leash easily working for surf.

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 11:28:44 AM »
4mm for the Imagine seems thin! Have any larger guys (200+ lb) used one? Being able to swim properly in surf or the river after a spill seems the biggest advantage of a waist leash.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »

Hvor store boelger skal du ut i? Jeg ville vaere veldig forsiktig med aa ha waist leash hvis det er noe stoerrelse paa boelgene...hvis du blir dratt fra midten vil det vaere ryggen din som tar stoetet og det skal ikke saa mye til foer du skader deg.

:People: waist leash will break someones back. Any kind of size to the wave, and your back will take all the effort. Pull from the front and you do not have much flexibility....

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 03:43:14 PM »
1,011 words or less: SUP bigger waves, waist leash, crow haley
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:47:09 PM by Beasho »

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 09:28:28 PM »
Hey Beasho

Can you take a close up photograph or explanation of your waist leash for big waves.  I bought a 2 inch nylon diving belt ($8.00) and was going to attach my big wave leash to it.  You just pull the buckle and the belt releases.  Haven't tried it out yet. 

What waist leash release do you use?  Thanks.

In anticipation of a good winter season of BIG surf.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 12:41:32 AM »

Well, hell.

I know a guy who broke his back from kiteboarding. Kite pulled him, he was in the water. 

Yeah I know different but listen: If you get pulled from the front center of your body through water, your back will take the hit. You can say that your stomach muscles will hold, but most of us aren;t built like Laird.

I mean an argument can be made that board is travelling at the same speed as you in the wave, but surely most of us have been pulled pretty hard on our legs in reasonably sized surf?

I guess the proof is in the pudding. I am not willing to be the experiment on this one.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal