Author Topic: Looking for waist leash  (Read 14731 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for waist leash
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 08:42:32 AM »
To quote Northern Supper twice call Crow Haley.  Northern Supper is the middle guy in the photo above:

Call Crow on the Phone http://www.resinworks.net/crowhaley.html

He waist leashes work. I blew my MCL and have used them for 2 years.
With big boards on big waves and an ankle leash, it is just a matter of time before your knee get blown ruin. The board will pull on your knee that it is likely that you will tear a ligament or cartilage or both.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 08:51:25 AM »
Here is a shot of the Crow Haley leash.  It is a basic ankle leash that has a ~ 40" Velcro to wrap around your waist.  I have added the chicken loop, sewn on to the Velcro.  It used to be sewn on the pull tab, but the pull tab ripped off easily.  The loop is key because you will never find that little tab in a panic.  I nearly drowned being bashed on the rocks, prior to chicken loop, and couldn't get my leash off.

I am not advocating getting pulled by a truck with this rig, or a kite for that matter, from your stomach side.  You can see my leash is 20 feet long and pretty spongy.  But it will break, hopefully before my back. 

No right answers here, just better and worse bets.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 06:16:20 PM »
Beasho

Thanks for the photo and Chicken loop info. 

I'll give that Crow Haley guy a call.

Norwegian SUPer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 03:55:48 PM »
I ended up ordering this waist leash; http://www.coloradokayak.com/Salamander-SUP-Leash.html
Thanks for all the inputs, guys (and gals).

@tautologies: You're probably right about not using a waist leash that pulls you forward in big waves, but the connecting point to the belt is usually in the back, also there's a quick release. I guess there will always be a chance of injury when something is pulling hard at any of your limbs. In my case my knee is fu%&¤# up to the point that I can't really expect it to take much more pounding. My final point is that I'm not really that great a surfer, so I usually don't challenge the bigger waves. Hopefully I'll live to surf another day, with both a working back and knee.

SUP-luv

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 02:27:52 PM »
Hey Beasho: Can you take a close up photograph or explanation of your waist leash for big waves. . . . In anticipation of a good winter season of BIG surf.

I drew up a graphic of the waist leash in action and thought I would update here:

The waist leash can be a lifesaver.  Hopefully this gives insight as to why it works better than ankle leashes.

We all know the phenomena of being dragged by your ankle, face down and disoriented not knowing which way to swim for that gasp of fresh air.

With the waist leash you just arch your back and VOILA you pop to the surface being dragged UPWARD like a fishing lure in reverse.  On a big enough wave you will actually find yourself planing backwards. Despite an enormous amount of violence it can look like this:

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 03:17:17 PM »
love the graphic!!!

I like the idea.
Custom Infinity BLine 7'8 x 26.5 89l
Custom Infinity BLine 7'11 x 28 97l
Custom Infinity Asym. Gun 8'10 x 27.5 110l
2016 Starboard Enduro Carbon oval stiff
Kialoa Methane(back up paddle)
5'10
175 lbs

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 05:56:09 PM »

Another update since this was first posted back in Sept 2012.  I've used the Crow Haley waist leash for about six months and really like em.  They do take some getting use to as they pull differently.  I kept injuring my knee and ankle from the leashes attached there.  Nothing serious just a slightly swollen ankle or pain in the knee.  This I believe was caused by the pulling of the sup in surf.  Since going to the waist harness no knee or ankle pains.

Another huge benefit is you can loosely wrap the leash behind you when surfing in thick kelp causing much less drag.

The "Release pull tag" on the waist leash is easy to pull.  Just reach down to your waist and you can release the whole leash at anytime.  This is much easier than attached at your knee or worse yet ankle.

I do have a fellow sup friend who will not use the waist harness because he somehow got it wrapped close to his neck and skimmed his ear.  He told me this happened a couple of times and won't use em.  That wrapping around the neck has never happened to me but I feel obligated to explain about it as some people may not like the waist leash.

waterman60

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 06:34:31 PM »
Fun Day today, it was good to see you throwin the style around on the Yellow     PSH 12'.  Keep an eye on it for the weekend.   Hopefully the weather will cooperate

Alkasazi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 07:15:10 PM »
this is the Salamander belt I've been using for whitewater. Originally built for towing boats, but works well so far as a leash. definitely packs down much smaller than their SUP fanny pack leash:

http://www.outdoorplay.com/Rescue-Tail-Tow-Tether

I'd love to make a version with a bit of bungee for give (similar to sea kayak tows), and a quick-release  ball on the buckle. But so far it's my favorite out of the waist belts I've tried.
SUP monkey @ Outdoorplay

current boards:
KPO Design Yampa 10
Imagine Connector
Red Elite 14

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]