Author Topic: Wood Paddles - Hope they perform like they look.  (Read 6848 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Wood Paddles - Hope they perform like they look.
« on: August 20, 2007, 05:29:23 AM »
I'm building my brother a SUP paddle and had the materials for two so figured I'd try a couple of designs and let him pick which he prefers. These are my 1st so they may just end up on the wall. They'll be getting tested Labor day weekend.

I've been reading all the posts regarding length, blade width, flex, and have come to the conclusion that there is no definite standard. Like so many things it will come down to personal preference. In other words I'll keep building until I get one that works. You can see a blog on the process here.
http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/Treefarmer/blog/1738

Let me know what you think.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wood Paddles - Hope they perform like they look.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 07:08:10 AM »
Nice... looks pretty wide, so you should have a nice power blade on your hands there.

Check out this build for tips or ideas for the next few...
http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=274431;search_string=sup%20paddle;#274431

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 08:23:58 AM »
Thanks for the link. That looks like a much easier way to build than using the laminations and obviously strong enough given the history. I'll have to try it soon.

I really enjoyed building these. I'm new to SUP so I'll be experimenting on different contruction methods, sizes, etc... The blade widths are 9" and 9.5".

Here is a picture of the finished handle on #1

...and the rest.

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 12:11:47 PM »
Wow, really nice work and well documented. The only difficulty is that now I have another item (or two) on my project list. How am I ever going to get those chores done?
"Oh well, you know a guy just must have a new paddle once and a while.  :D
Dear, it is so much less expensive to make my own.  ;)
You know honey, building my own may be safer than store bought.   ;D"
(Sorry - just practising my rationale)
Pat

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 01:18:23 PM »
wow! that's some beautiful woodwork there. not sure if it's in you plans but one way of applying the composite layer is to vacuum laminate it in order to minimize the amount of resin within the structure. this adds to the strength and lightness of the build. the people at roarockit have developed a simplified method which i use it to teach complex wood laminations to high school students in our industrial arts classes. the system they've created makes use of a manual pump which makes having an expensive electrical vacuum pump unnecessary.

i've recently embarked on educating myself on the practices of the ancient craft of the paddle makers with the hopes of making one of my own one day.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 02:33:05 PM »
Thanks for the kind words all. I'm stoked for my brother to see them. I'll let him choose which he likes and keep the other for myself. #2 is the nicer of them IMO (I'll post soon) but we'll see which he goes for. I'm going to continue building and refining. Of course that's going to mean a lot of time on water for R&D.... ;D

Patfly....hehe...been there done that. I find it usually helps to get something off the honey-do list just before....it's always easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission as well.

Shapeshifter....I was originally planning on glassing them but I'm not going to now. The next build will have a thinner blade I'll definitely want to glass. The roarockit looks sweet....now I have the same problem as patfly. I'll need to think of a project to build for the boss that requires vacuum lamination.
Bob

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 08:12:47 PM »
Here are some pictures of #2

The back of the blade pre-finish

and the front with one coat of epoxy on it.

Should be interesting to see how the edge banding rolled and pocketed as it is effects the blade dynamics.....could be cool or just suck...we'll see.
Bob

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Finally done
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 09:53:32 PM »
Some picture of the completed paddles. The second one feels pretty nice. #1 is a war club.

Blade front

Rear

Isurus oxyrinchus

The Face....I bookmatched the panels front and rear.

and scalloped the front

Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal