Author Topic: Planning a build? A few places to get you started...  (Read 5936 times)

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Planning a build? A few places to get you started...
« on: August 19, 2007, 11:00:09 PM »
First and foremost, if you've never shaped a surfboard, you owe it to yourself to get a lot dusty, cover yourself in goo, and rinse it off with a slide across a fast moving wall on one of your own creations. It really is a feeling the few can rival.

I started out making boards the way I wanted them because no one else was/would. So, if you're interested, the first necessary stop is Swaylocks.com.
Swaylocks is a forum/wealth of information on surfboard design/construction. A few things you need to know about sway's....

1. have a question? do a search. then search again. I guarantee, every possible question has been answered more than a few times...
2. A lot of older surf industry folks are on there, so some grumpy attitudes can fly, but we love Sway's anyways...
3. It's a "surfboard design" forum, so the "how do I keep my hair out of my eyes when I duck dive?" questions will be ridiculed with reckless abandon.
4. kiss away a solid part of every afternoon for it will suck you in like the black hole it is...

An example of some amazing builds...

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=261074;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

and a funny one

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=258911;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Lurk on, and lets keep this room going for those interested in what goes into board building...

boots

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Planning a build? A few places to get you started...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 10:08:44 PM »
Hey Allan, i've noticed on your boards that you have a 5 fin setup. How do you determine the placement of the quad fins ? I'm guessing it's a combination of measurements ( fins from rail, fins from tail, etc) Also, in the pictures of the boards you had listed in the classifieds, it looked like the top 2 fins from the quad setup would be too close to the center fin box, does it still work as a 2 + 1? Thanks for your help, great looking boards btw.

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 10:45:16 PM »
allan god tip on the swaylocks, these are some amazing threads... 

there is a lot of time on these pages...

Amazing craftsmanship and loyalty to the community.

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 04:02:31 PM »
Hey Allan, i've noticed on your boards that you have a 5 fin setup. How do you determine the placement of the quad fins ? I'm guessing it's a combination of measurements ( fins from rail, fins from tail, etc)

Yes, a combination of things and goals in mind. Tight clusters for a pivotier turning board or spread out for drive. 16" up from the tail for the fronts is a good place to start.

Also, in the pictures of the boards you had listed in the classifieds, it looked like the top 2 fins from the quad setup would be too close to the center fin box, does it still work as a 2 + 1? Thanks for your help, great looking boards btw.

Those boards where made with a specific goal in mind, and the center box was thrown in as an option for toying with later. It still works though, just really drivy with the fins pushed back. But I run big sides and a small center cutaway when screwing around with 2 + 1 setups. But for surfing, for me, I prefer the quads setup. Loose and skatey, can drive when needed, runs straight in trim and has a nice open ended projection through turns. Plus the fin options are ridiculous!

Thanks for your help, great looking boards btw.

Thanks!

boots

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 08:33:54 PM »
When you say 16" up from the tail for the front fins, does that mean 16" from the tail of the board to the tip of the front finbox?

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 10:53:42 PM »
Most of the time, when dealing with fin placements, all measurements start at the back of the fin (trailing edge). Fin box placement goes off these marks (ie, futures, ofishl)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal