Author Topic: Fins on 9'4?  (Read 5839 times)

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fins on 9'4?
« on: August 26, 2007, 03:58:05 PM »
I'm about to order a 9'4 Katzuma SUP. But I don't know how I want my fins. Trusters, 2+1 or quad? Randy what do you have? Like it? Would like something different? Why?

What do you other think?

All shortboards I ever surfed have been trusters, all my hp longbords have been 2+1. I usually like a really small center fin, lik 6'' och 6''1/2.

I'm also planning to put side-bites on my SOS 10'10. Is that a smart?

/Jesper

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fins on 9'4?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 06:58:34 PM »
Hi Jesper,

I have been running 4.25 inch futures on my Kazuma.

Blane's 9'2 rips with the setup here

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=24.0

I haven't had a full sized fin in for months now, so likely no need.

My guess is that when you get dialed on your new smaller board, you will use the Big Blue mostly for cruising, so maybe hold off on the side bites.

Laters!

boots

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 10:20:14 PM »
Jesper you can't go wrong with a 2+1, although those five fins look purrrdy.

Rand what are the dimensions on your kazuma, is it EPS ? Looks nice

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 10:48:03 PM »
You could try out a 4 +1. Quads run nice and give you tons of options for a very small weight penalty. But I have yet to put a center fin in any of my "HP" boards. $ fins just suit my surfing style so well. You can pump them, just cruise rail to rail, bury a side, mid board trim, nose ride....

I dig em'.

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 01:09:51 AM »
Rand,
That Katzuma of yours looks sooooo goooood! I'm so happy I decided to order one. I have emailed Matt Kinoshita and he seems to be all in to it now (SUP). He offered me a decent price on a 9'4 x 27''1/2 in eps and epoxy. He also told me that the SUP thing did not interest him when it was all about big old school tandems and blown up  long boards but that it have become very intersting now with the small performers.

I usually surfs a 9'0 high-performer long board shaped my Matt when on Maui and love how fast and turney the are.

Fins: It leans towards a traditional truster, but I'm tempted to try quad.... I'll talk to Matt about that.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 06:01:52 AM »
Hey Boots,

9'4, 27.5, 4 1/8, 16 tail 19 nose (both at 1 foot off)

More on fins.  I want my board to feel as much like a shortboard as it can.  I want to be able to trim as much as possible with front foot pressure from the tail/mid back and eliminate steps.  Nothing against walking and nose riding (I too could eat Doritos and watch Joel Tudor videos all day).  So, larger fins hold the tail down, which is the opposite of what I am after.  Both Future and FCS offer fin sets that have trailer fins that are near or over 5 inches, so if you buy a big boy set, and a grom set, you can go super twin or a classic side bite/ larger trailer setup by mixing them up. 

I am sure you can get some ripper setups with quads, but the board should be designed for that.  I can tell you for sure that the thruster setup is well placed and rides unreal on my Kazuma.  Sounds like Allan is hitting it on his boards which he is designing and tweaking for 4 fin.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 06:15:49 AM »
Oh yeah, and 2 lb EPS, sorry!

boots

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 11:48:49 AM »
Nice job on the deckpad too rand, is the main center black one hydroturf?

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 03:34:36 PM »
Nice job on the deckpad too rand, is the main center black one hydroturf?

Yes it is, just trimmed up a bit.  The dots on the nose are the remnants of a past mistake with a similar pad.  Not a complete waste at least.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal