Author Topic: SUP wavesailing  (Read 15108 times)

Philn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
SUP wavesailing
« on: August 06, 2012, 10:52:21 AM »
Been a bad summer for me so far, no wind when I can sail, and work or family commitments when there is wind, so I've been sailing my Wassup 8'5 more than usual.  The more I sail it the more fun I'm having.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP wavesailing
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 11:40:30 AM »
Good for you, Phil. I am surprised more people in SoCal don't realize how much easier it is to schlog and ride on a SUP, versus a sinker windsurf board. I'll be joining you when I get back, on those days when it is the best call.

wilanz

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 08:21:33 AM »
Very nice conditions.  I tried a 8.5 WASSUP with a 6.0m sail in light wind flat water conditions.  Nice and stable but I kept digging the nose under while sailing and while paddling it as a SUP, too.  I think the handle kept throwing off my footing and I should have stayed further back.

I'm trying to track down a 10' to try it out.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 08:37:36 AM »
I've been intrigued by this Bic:

http://www.bicsup.com/products/ace-tec-sup,3,101/10-6-ace-tec-sup-wind,990.html

Seems to combine the best of SUP and a low-wind windsurfer.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 06:35:30 PM »
Phil -

If you don't mind...

How much do you weigh?

What was the wind speed?

What size sail did you have up?

Vic

eghoffman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
Sweet pics, Phil!  Glad you're getting better use out of that board than I did...   Meet up at San Onofre one of these days?

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 07:07:34 PM »
Here are a couple shots of me on my old Starboard Extremist 9'8 at the same secret spot as Phil's pix, using a 6.9m Ezzy wave sail. I really only did that a few times, now I like to SUPsail with a 6.3, which is still bigger than most people recommend. I like the extra horsepower, and I am not likely to do anything on the wave that the 6.3 will get in the way of, but the 6.9 was defitely too big.

These were taken a few years ago. Now I use my North Pacific 8'10 custom, with a flatter rocker under the straps, which actually planes. It is still very turnable. That is the board in my avatar.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 07:09:05 PM by laszlo »

Philn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
I posted this review on iWindsurf, I think it is relevant here too: http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22207&start=20

Review of RRD Wassup 8’5

I’ve had this board for about 2 years now. I mostly use the board for SUP surfing, and the more time I spend on it learning to surf the better it feels. Now that I’ve learnt to bend my knees and pump the board for speed it gets impressive speed down the line and gets around sections that previously I wasn’t able to.

Sailing

I’ve only sailed this board a few times, and every time I sail it I wonder why I don’t sail it more often. In light slogging winds the board pumps easily onto a wave and provided I enter the bottom turn with my feet positioned correctly I can bottom turn as hard as I can on my 105 L Exocet Exo-wave. Full carving top turns are so much fun. On pealing waves I’ve had the pleasure of 6 or 7 bottom turn top turn combinations, staying just ahead of the pocket the whole time.

When the wind picks up enough to plane the board is as fast as or faster than the kites. Planing jibes are a breeze, and most jibes I am able to exit still planing.

Philn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 08:16:06 AM »
Phil -

If you don't mind...

How much do you weigh?

What was the wind speed?

What size sail did you have up?

Vic
I weigh around 85-90 kg, I have mostly sailed it with a 6.0 Firelight, and the wind speeds are typically around 10 mph, up to about 15 mph (in 15 mph the board planes). 

Philn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 08:17:39 AM »
The 6 or 7 bottom turns were at C-Street.  So much fun!!!!

johnd12

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 11:45:05 AM »
Interesting discussion. I have the V1 RRD Wassup 8.5, and have been very happy with it.  I use it mostly in the waves as an intermediate SUP board. Turns great, fun off the lip, stable enough for east coast chop when you are used to it.  It has been a great transition board from my 12 foot Starboard Big Easy, and even when I make the next move to a surfing-only SUP, I am sure there are many days it will get used due to its stability and width.

As far as using it in the wind, it works fine both in and out of the waves. With foot straps on, I used it (planing) in 20+ winds until I picked up a smaller used windsurf-dedicated board. As a light wind SUP board, it excels. I would say that it is a slightly more advanced board for the waves because of its size and volume (130ish). That makes it a little tricky to uphaul in a choppy sea. But, on the other hand, its smaller size is less daunting and more maneuverable than the 12 foot board in the surf zone.  Those pics from Philn are giving me the confidence to keep at it in surf and light winds.

Shame to see that they are not putting footstrap inserts on this board any more. While I agree that they mostly get in the way for light wind SUP surfing, they enable you to enjoy the board more in high wind conditions.

This was the video that sold me:
RRD SUP windsurfing in Juno Beach, FL

Good to see that there are more options out there for fun crossover boards. 

Philn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 11:36:52 AM »
Had a really fun session on the Wassup in head to logo high surf.  Unfortunately the EVA deck is becoming really slippery. Wind was very up and down, a few times it was strong enough to plane, then it would drop again, so I switched between this board and a 110 L Quatro quad a few times. Much easier to slog over walls of whitewater on the Wassup. :)

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 12:25:58 PM »
hi there, i´m new to the sport (surf & kite background)

Just order a FANATIC All Wave 9.6 . and i think i can put a sail on it. (thaks SUPTHEGREEK for all the info)

Never windsurf before

So here is the question: wavesaling with AW, it is posible to do it in less than 15 knots?? (15++ i will be kiting)

In that case, wich sail? is it worth it?

Thanks!!!!

Philn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 12:31:29 PM »
Less than 15 knots is perfect for SUP sailing. How much do you weigh? For my weight (190 lbs) a 5.5 is a good size for sub 15 knots.

If you've never windsurfed before, would be worth getting a lesson, or else get a windsurfing buddy to show you how.

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »
thanks a lot..i will give it a try then

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal