Author Topic: DW destination?  (Read 5114 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
DW destination?
« on: August 05, 2012, 03:04:32 PM »
Well on this forum we've heard about South Africa, South Australia, Cape Cod, and Hawaii for downwind paddling but there are many lakes and rivers in the world that get strong winds as well, like the Columbia Gorge.

This place is in the desert of Argentina, Cuesta del Viento, San Juan.  Apparently it blows over 40 quite often.  Love the look of the surface grain in this picture... perfectly groomed.  Already a favorite for wndsrfrs and kiters in South America

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
Re: DW destination?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 04:37:05 PM »
Lake Nicaragua is probably worthy as well.  I've only visited the shores once, but I'm sure it would make a good run if you could plan the logistics.
http://nicaragua365.com/Articles/11-10-22/The_Nicaragua_Winds_Enhanced_Trades_and_Papagayo.aspx

Then there's the issue of bull sharks: http://www.nicaragua.com/blog/the-bull-sharks-of-lake-nicaragua

PilonSUP

• Peahi Status
  • Southern zone Costa Rica, Pavones
    • View Profile
    • Costa Rica Stand Up Paddle Boarding
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 09:40:56 AM »
Headmount..great thread

Both unreal shots...I am starting off with Costa rica's" lake arenal" next month to see how it goes. Short run but gotta be easier logistics.
Then Nicaragua dec-jan...what kind of board(length) should i shape for this type of downwinding??   
Thinking of the gorge for next summer,maybe i'll be able to closer to home.

jimbro

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »
went and surfed nicaragua years ago.  from what i was told by a few locals is that there are not just bull sharks but huge bull sharks!

the guy said he went into a bar on the lake years ago and they had a mouth on the wall from a 20 footer. do not know if it was true or not but supposidly they eat tons of cattle that venture into the lake.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 12:18:21 PM »
Pilon.  If you're going to shape a DW board, I'd go for a very low tail  rocker (almost flat) 14'.  The logistics for Lake Nicaragua do look challenging but conditions looked spectacular.  I'd study any place before I went out.  What time does the wind come up and drop off?  How much lee way do you have with different easy exit landing points within what you think will be your destination?  What easy-to-see landmarks will you be able to spot from the water to clue you in to where you want to finish?  From where you start, I'd fan out at about 20 degrees to your potential finish points.  And remember, sometimes wind can 'bend' because of topographical features, like for instance those two large islands in Lake Nicaragua.

From what I've read the Bull sharks have been heavily hunted and there hasn't been an attack in many years.  Until I ever hear of any shark slamming into a board and pulling someone off their SUP, I'm not going to get worked up about sharks.  But everyone has to come to peace about these things in their own mind.  Locals have a long history of enjoying scaring the crap out of visitors with out of proportion stories.  Even semi locals like PBill are always trying to scare me.  "Did you see that one by the harbor entrance? Always there.  HUGE"

The CR lake looks cool.  Tell us how that goes.  If the wind is over 40, even a flat rockered 12' might be fine... and fun.  I'd keep some volume in anything you made.  If you don't have any measurements to go on I have some I could pass on.  Love the spirit of adventure.

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 01:52:16 PM »
...I am starting off with Costa rica's" lake arenal" next month to see how it goes. Short run but gotta be easier logistics.
Then Nicaragua dec-jan...what kind of board(length) should i shape for this type of downwinding??   
Thinking of the gorge for next summer,maybe i'll be able to closer to home.
Awesome Pilon!
Arenal should be an easy and fun run.  Hope you have a camera for photos.
If you do Lake Nic, the winds really do blow, its like a small ocean.  You should be able to hire a follow panga cheap, making it easy for a one way run without the need for a destination.  Can't wait to hear how it goes.  I'm going to Nic in November fro 10 days, but no downwinding. :-)

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:33:16 PM »
I have wondered if there would be good places in the Gulf of California for downwinding.  Baja also seemed to have wind.

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 04:07:24 PM »
Well on this forum we've heard about South Africa, South Australia, Cape Cod, and Hawaii for downwind paddling but there are many lakes and rivers in the world that get strong winds as well, like the Columbia Gorge.

South Australia?  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 04:44:03 PM »
I didn't know until I just looked on a map that there actually is a place called "South Australia".

Looks like South Australia is the part that's northwest of the south part of Australia where the downwinding is done. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 05:51:45 PM »
Start adding them to the world downwind map...... ;D

If anyone wants to collaborate on the map PM me your email and I'll add you to the list.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 08:17:14 PM »
I didn't know until I just looked on a map that there actually is a place called "South Australia".

Looks like South Australia is the part that's northwest of the south part of Australia where the downwinding is done. 

And confusing South Australia with Victoria is about as unwise as calling a Texan a Californian.  :o :-[ >:(

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »

And confusing South Australia with Victoria is about as unwise as calling a Texan a Californian.  :o :-[ >:(

Or an Irishman English!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 09:07:54 PM »
Yeah, My bad PT Woody.  Was referencing the direction not the name of the state and forgot there was a state called South Australia.  I shoulda just said roaring 40s or specifically ... Melbourne.  JC is coming here soon so he'll get me straight.  Yeah no Californian would want to be called a Texan.  But now I've probably pissed  off our tanker wake riding brethren in Galveston... which is a very cool thing they do.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 09:39:13 PM »
We were talking about this today. There are a lot of places that can be good part of the year, and some places that are consistent, but as the windsurfers well know, there are only a few places that are consistent and strong.

Maui and the Gorge pretty much have to be near the top of any list, and both of them happen to have runs that line up really well. there are some windy places that take you straight offshore or onshore, and some that take you to the back end of nowhere. Maliko and the Viento run are both about the same length (9 miles) and both have parking lots and good launch and landing spots at each end. Toss in a thousand miles of fetch to make Maliko mountains, or 40 knots of wind bucking a three knot current to pile up vertical faces in the gorge and you've really got something special.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 09:43:42 PM »
Snapper, Coolangatta-------Seaway, Gold Coast...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal