Author Topic: roof rack and paddle  (Read 4530 times)

ffchadbo

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
roof rack and paddle
« on: August 05, 2012, 02:46:29 PM »
I just installed some roof racks on my wife's mini cooper clubman.
How do you attach your paddle? Any tricks or suggestions.
Putting in the car is not going to work. Okay just checked it will barely fit but still looking for ideas
Thanks ;D ;D ;D

paddlenorcal

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: roof rack and paddle
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 02:53:57 PM »
Do you use a full padded paddle bag? If so you can just easily bungy cord it to the rack nice and secure with the blade to the rear of the car. We have done this a few times when interior space was running low. Worked fine for us up to 70 mph on the freeway. 

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 04:08:22 PM »

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:38:49 PM »
As a long time windsurfer, I have an attachment for the roof racks intended to hold windsurfing masts. It doubles as the perfect paddle holder, better if it's holding two.  Check with Yakima it was years ago that I bought it though....
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 05:52:03 PM »
Another thought is the quick fist - I've seen these things hold everything from hi lift jacks to shovels. Haven't seen one fail even on seriously rough off road terrain. Probably the mini quick fist is the way to go for a paddle.

http://www.endroad.com/index.php/quick-fist-mounts.html

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 06:20:41 PM »
I am having a really hard time keeping from making a totally inappropriate remark about both the "quick fist" and the mini "quick fist" ... Thus far, I am resisting... A sign of maturity, no?

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 06:35:21 PM »
I am having a really hard time keeping from making a totally inappropriate remark about both the "quick fist" and the mini "quick fist" ... Thus far, I am resisting... A sign of maturity, no?

SL

Haha. A little bit of inappropriate humor is never a bad thing in my opinion. :D

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 06:59:45 PM »

SL

Haha. A little bit of inappropriate humor is never a bad thing in my opinion. :D
That's the best kind.

fms

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 04:20:02 AM »
I've been using Thule locking flat ski racks to carry my paddles for almost 5 years now and no damage or theft as of now. Down side was I had to switch to a long flat bar to accommodate boards,bikes and paddles .

GreatLakesWaterman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 11:07:20 PM »
I second the Thule Get-a-Grip.  I've had four paddles on it for 300+ miles with no problems.  The locking function is slick. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal