Author Topic: SIC Sold  (Read 12931 times)

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
SIC Sold
« on: July 30, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »
Heard the rumor last week, here's the article.  Looks like SIC boards will soon be available world wide, question is, how will this affect quality and price?

http://www.supthemag.com/features/industry-news/industry-news-flow-sports-aquires-sic/?fb_ref=.UBYjxhzCIOg.send&fb_source=message

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SIC Sold
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 03:06:11 PM »
If you're here in Hawaii, I don't think much will change.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 03:46:05 PM »
:)
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 10:47:50 PM »
That's pretty cool, I know Mark was struggling with how to get distribution to areas other than Hawaii, sounds like a great solution.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 02:37:02 AM »
Flow is a respected name in snowboard equipment, so there is reason to think they won't screw it up with a profit before product mentality, but personality conflicts are harder to predict and just as deadly.  So here is to a long friendly and profitable relationship for both parties
Obfuscation through elucidation

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 11:19:52 AM »
I imagine Mark will still be shaping his boards on Maui, and if the new owners/partners try to screw with him too much he will start another company, and keep shaping boards.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 11:38:02 AM »
A common problem when entrepreneurs get bought out but intend to stay with the company. The owners get to do what they want, not what you want. When I sold a chunk of my agency I kept a majority interest, but even still I felt compelled to find a "professional CEO" who proceeded to flush years of work down the drain. After I fired him I gradually turned control over to an insider, who now runs the company much better than I ever did.

It will be more good luck than good management if Mark stays on and stays happy, but it's possible. I really hoe he does. If the new folks are smart enough, they'll establish an R&D budget and turn Mark loose to innovate, and take all the day-to-day management and marketing away from him, which will be a very good thing because he sucks at it, and he knows it.

What probably won't happen is that Mark will go off and do the same stuff he's been doing. The easiest way for me to make money would be to start another marketing agency--but I'd rather be horsewhipped. Too much like starting all over, only this time you know how much of a pain in the ass all the steps are.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »
Hopefully it works out better for Mark than for Leo Fender.  When Fender was bought out, the parent company (CBS?) implemented cost cutting measures and put out some really crappy products under the Fender label in the 70s, before the Fender brand was resurrected and they started making decent products again.

Leo finally started making guitars again under a new label (ASAT I believe), but never got the following he probably deserved.  A true genius in musical instruments, not so much as a business man.

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 01:49:25 PM »
G&L, ASAT is a model, Tele like if I recall correctly.

CBS did actually build some great new products, the Rivera era amps, Super Champ, Champ II. Princeton II and a few others are fantastic amps, but they are different then the classic Fenders, so get much less respect then they deserve.

Designing and building amps for electric stringed instruments is a small part of my income.
Obfuscation through elucidation

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 03:11:15 PM »
I've got a G&L Legacy (their version of a Strat). LOVE it! I wish I had money to collect classic tube amps. They sure have become pricey.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 03:35:11 PM »
Well I'm pretty interested in how this develops as the only chance I have had to actually see any SIC boards was an F14 in NC two years ago and one of the 12'6 x series earlier this year.  I love doing downwind runs and have always wanted to check out an SIC.  That said, it does cool me off a little that it would likely be a production SIC and would that be the same and all that...but maybe that's being uneccesarily snobby. A SIC is a SIC is a SIC....I hope.

And from what I know of Flow (very little other than liking my bindings) this seems like a neat partnership.  I hope for the best and am interested in the models and prices we see here in the States.
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 08:27:10 PM »
Production SIC's are not to be sniffed at. In some ways they are as good as the locally molded ones. I really like my Chinese F16

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 08:53:56 PM »
   Pakistan's Chinese F16.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 09:49:02 PM »
Still... they're flown by Pakis.

What PBill wrote  is very true.  The vacuum procedure is stronger in those autoclave facilities they have in Asia.  For instance the bag used in making my Bullet here on Maui only used one atmosphere and the Asians use four in their process.

It comes out so hard, that the drum like effect is created whenever not going downwind... but very durable.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 03:31:40 AM »
Headmount, I'm sure that the term you meant to use was "Pakistanis". The term you used has the same status in many countries as the "N word". Place the N word in the sentence instead of the term you used, and imagine how offensive it might seem to some people. Of course, you didn't make the kindest comment in the world even if you had used an approved term, but at least it wouldn't be completely incendiary. However, I know that awareness of these matters is perhaps not as widespread in the USA as elsewhere so I'm sure that you meant no offence.

I'm happy to bring you this public information broadcast. Normal service will now be resumed...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal