Author Topic: SIC Sold  (Read 12962 times)

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
Re: SIC Sold
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 09:56:54 PM »
Evan posted this vid a little while ago. Looks like you'll see some shortboards.
S.I.C. 9'4" SUP Stand Up Paddle Surfboard

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 11:44:20 PM »
Area,

but sic already has downwind boards. Numerous versions suitable for all types of downwind conditions. There are different versions of the F series, and the bullet line up. More and more companies are starting to produce unlimited class boards

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2012, 05:18:21 PM »
Right, that's got that out of my system. Back to SUP: I got my new Coreban Dart recently (full carbon), and its FAB, and well suited to conditions in the UK. I hope SIC also decide to try to develop DW boards more attuned to conditions outside those just found in Hawaii. Naish seem to be going down the flat water or elite-ocean paddlers only route with their latest super-narrow boards. The new SIC shapes (if that is what they are) spotted recently under the feet of Connor and DK might just be the thing... maybe...

Our options for presidency seem pretty restricted at the moment.  It kind of feels like we are under the control of the political machine, having to choose the lesser of two weevils.  Moving on...

SIC has a tremendous advantage of having some of the best downwind conditions in its back yard for a proving ground.  Something like having Nürburgring just around the corner to test your latest sports car.  But Marks' more recent boards, especially the one ridden by Dave Kalama in M2O, appear to have less rocker than some of the previous designs.  I do not believe this is by accident; there is no question that less rocker is faster, so long as you don't boof, or poof, or whatever you want to call it.

I imagine that as the sport progresses, designs will come out that can handle pretty much any conditions you put them in and come out shining.  My thinking is that SUP designs will start to look more like the surf ski designs. 

I think we all would agree that a planing nose sucks when you gotta paddle upwind.  If you have a design that can cut through chop rather than bounce over it, you can move the board a lot faster.

The Epic V10, and the designs which it inspired, appears to me to be a displacement design with features that allow it to handle downwind conditions well.  I've discussed this at length on the de facto surf ski thread on this board.  My thought is that racing SUP boards could also benefit from the bow designs seen on the present surf skis, which blend displacement and planing features.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2012, 07:31:59 PM »
Actually I think both OC and surfski designs are a dead end for SUP. Seated paddler, different stroke length, and much lower center of gravity vs. standing paddler that moves in all directions, long stroke highly varied, high center of gravity. What pertinent factor is similar?

I do, however, appreciate the Aubrey/Maturin reference. Lesser of two Weevils indeed. A glass of wine with you...
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2012, 08:01:11 PM »
Sure there are differences, but I would say there are enough similarities in what you are trying to do to incorporate what works from those designs.  Because of the standing position, SUP designs are more limited in how narrow the boards can realistically be.  But as we can see from Connor's paddling, radically raising and lowering the center of gravity pays great dividends in bump riding (if you can bend that low).

I see Syzmanski's designs incorporating some of the blended displacement idea.  My suspicion is that is that is a fertile ground for board evolution. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2012, 10:28:14 PM »
My point is that duplicating a surfski design will not yield an optimal SUP design, they have very different requirements. For example I can picture a SUP with a very long nose that bears little weight but serves only to increase the waterline length. Penetrating bows, planing stern. All kinds of crazy stuff that would be out of place and flat out wouldn't work in a surfski or OC. I think OC's Surfskis, and Sculling boats all have designs that are optimized for what they do and are very well developed. But they don't have a tremendous amount of similarity to a longboard--which is also highly developed. It's very early in the development of high performance SUPs. I suspect what ultimately emerges is not going to look the way we think it will.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2012, 08:49:25 AM »
Mark Raaphorst actually built the first displacement SUP I ever saw--it was a canoe-bow F18 custom designed for California conditions. Mark has a good understanding or what works in flatwater. Up until now Mark has pretty much built the boards that people want from him, which is open ocean, big swell, downwinding boards. None better. Easy thing to see. Go to any really serious downwind race and at least half the field of the elite racers will be on a SIC.

What we'll see from now on is anyone's guess. I'd love to see Mark's take on a serious pure flatwater unlimited board. Hopefully he'd take a big step away from downwind boards and rethink what is necessary.

Don't know if you (or anyone else here saw this) but when dooing my usual drooling on the SIC site a few months ago, I found this under the "used boards" tab, and was very intrigued: 15' Custom Hybrid. A few e-mail and phone calls later, and I had the full scoop from Karen.

15' x 28" Custom Shaped - styrofoam - full carbon - wood deck sandwich. Weight = 25 lbs.

"The concept behind the Hybrid board is to have it be good on downwinders, with less drag in the flats, due to its displacement qualities in the front section of the board. The board is shaped for a lighter person with good balance. The board is best suited for smaller chop for going upwind as well as downwind. It has a double concave under your feet, soft rails for side chop forgiveness and less drag in non planing conditions".

The board is in transit finally, but I won't get it until September sometime (barge to Seattle, then another barge to up here). I love my 14' Glide, but do lots of upwind and crosswind paddling, and this seems like it might really be good for around here. I've read many posts lately about the usefullness (uselessness?) of a rudder board in non-Hawaii conditions, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I was trying to wait until it arrives before I posted up, but this seems like a good thread to inject into, as it is relevant to the discussion  ;).
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2012, 10:15:33 AM »
Very cool, I'm pretty sure I saw that board at the shop. Interesting concept. IMHO rudders are great anywhere there's wind.

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2012, 11:07:52 AM »
 Yeah, I'm pretty psyched to try it out. It will get here around the time the winds will be back up, (Gale, Storm force and beyond). Will post up more pics and video after I get some time on it.
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »
I like Mark's double concave design.  His boards are typically very stable, that one looks like it would be quite stable as well.  That board should go very well in small bumps and chop.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM
foiled again