Author Topic: Maui Delivers - Naish Race  (Read 23494 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Maui Delivers - Naish Race
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »
Here are some beautiful Ron Dahlquist aerial pics of the event (thanks for the link Cammar):

http://rondahlquist.com/race/

A taste:

F-18, making time:

Teamwork in action:

Mark, gliding in, F-14
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:00:42 AM by Admin »

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 10:02:40 AM »
Wow.... that first shot of the F-18 makes me want to try the downwind again... except for having to buy ANOTHER board.

Byronmaui

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 10:06:50 AM »
Here is a vid I found of the 2008 race.
http://www.youtube.com/v/6pDNOJ6NJg8
Aloha

Byron
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 10:32:39 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 10:37:44 AM »
Wow.... that first shot of the F-18 makes me want to try the downwind again... except for having to buy ANOTHER board.

Get a good board, try again.  You live here; It is a must.  My first experiences on a standard wave board that was not for downwind were horrible and made me think, "why does anyone bother?".  On a fun board, though, I think a good downwinder beats summer waves on most days (and I can't believe I am saying that).  If you want to try again, we will try to find you a really good loaner.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2008, 11:11:55 AM »
Pics are awesome...great vid too.

That comment about a good board bums me out a bit Rand...not sure the budget can take the strain this year. Not that I have anyone to go out with here anyway. I'll have to content myself with my 12-6 for now and the occasional taste when I get out there. I'm still wondering if most of the downwind boards might be too tippy for me though. Won't know until I try.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 12:40:32 PM »
That comment about a good board bums me out a bit Rand

I didn't mean to sound negative...actually the opposite.  Noworries had a tough first run because she was on a wave board that would not glide for anyone in the conditions that we saw.  My first day (on a similar board) was the same.  You plow instead of glide.  Some of the bigger all purpose boards like yours do just fine. 

If you do get on a downwind board that is nicely sized for you, then it gets really fun. 

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »
Hey Stoneaxe... I think you would be pleasantly surprised by how stable some of the down winders are.  I can only speak to the Vortice, but at 27.5" wide it feels every bit as stable as my 30" wide board.  Mabye 'cause they are so freakin' thick,  bouyant & long? 

Great pics...  you rarely see a picture of a downwinder standing so far back on their board... shows you how big that swell is.

Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2008, 08:02:01 PM »
I've paddled both the Vortice and the F16, I wouldn't call either of the stable, but I'm sure you'd get used to them quickly.

This thread would make a nice Ke Nalu story. Any objection, Randy, to me using some of this stuff?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2008, 08:31:11 PM »
P.S.I think I met you before at my office? Betsill Brothers/ Clearly Maui?

You work at Betsill Brothers? They built Ponohouse.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2008, 08:43:39 PM »
This thread would make a nice Ke Nalu story. Any objection, Randy, to me using some of this stuff?

Hi Bill,

You are welcome to it.  We are all just sharing our experiences as we are participating and learning.  None of the photo's are mine to give or I certainly would. 

Rand

Byronmaui

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2008, 10:19:17 PM »
P.S.I think I met you before at my office? Betsill Brothers/ Clearly Maui?

You work at Betsill Brothers? They built Ponohouse.

Yes we were the general contractor. I think you are not the original owner because she was an artist. Very interesting stories involved with the building of that house.

Aloha

Byron

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2008, 07:06:48 AM »
wow, wooden handles are whippy. 

c'mon you maui surfers, small waves this weekend.  no lineup at maliko and you can get some looong rides! 

Support your local shaper

wadadli_waterman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2008, 03:17:12 AM »
Here are some beautiful Ron Dahlquist aerial pics of the event (thanks for the link Cammar):

http://rondahlquist.com/race/

A taste:

F-18, making time:

WOW........that sequence of the F18 on Ron's web site says it all about the down winder experience.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2008, 08:32:57 AM »
I tried the F18 last week.  In strong winds it is heli-fast.  When it is running at top speeds, it’s a seat of your pants ride.  Just step back to the tail and let her run (as demonstrated in the pic).  At my size lighter, in light winds, it was a grind to keep up my momentum.  I love the SIC custom 13 and molded F-16…and can’t wait to try the custom 14, 16 and 17…but that will have to wait a month or two.   ;)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
WOW........that sequence of the F18 on Ron's web site says it all about the down winder experience.

Better F-18 view here:

http://web.mac.com/s.i.c/http%3A__web.mac.com_s.i.c_iWeb_S.I.C.20stand20up20paddleboards_Sandwich20Island20Composites.html/SUP_Models.html

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal