Author Topic: Maui Delivers - Naish Race  (Read 23493 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Maui Delivers - Naish Race
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 09:25:42 AM »
Awesome job Randy and Chan. Any good video out yet?

God, I hope not.  I want to remember this the way it is in my mind, not the way it was ;D

How much does weight figure into speed? I know you've commented that light is the way to go for boards Randy but if I was to get into racing is my size a big detriment?

I would hate to come across like I have the answers about any of this, because I don't.  I am still way early on in the learning curve (I hope) and still am feeling new things each time I go.  My gut is that your size and strength will help you, provided that you have a reasonably sized and light weight board.  Look at Dave Kalama.  This year he widened his gap over the 2nd place finisher to over 8 minutes (and the second group of guys aren't slouches).

I bet that you find that the training that you are already doing puts you in very good standing for this run.  Come early so that you can do some practice runs.  We will all learn from each other and have some quality laughs in the process. 

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 11:03:52 AM »
hey Rand,
thanks for that fantastic write up and congrats to Chan and you for going at it hard.
wanted to ask you some things. what where the top guys on, F 16, F 18, F118 ?
what do you think makes someone like Dave so bloody fast ? just tons of experience or does he train more/different to others or does he just have a secret miniature nuclear reactor under his board proppeling him along ? also why do you think Laird doesn't enter these races like the Moliko or the Molokai ?
thanks again for sharing the experience and keep on gliding...

Byronmaui

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 11:57:33 AM »
Divisional results found in this link
http://www.mauipaddleboard.com/race.php?title=results_2008

Congrats everyone that entered. Noa remember Dave Kalama is paid to play in the water everyday and paid well at least according to a good friend of mine plus he has the Kalama gene's that make him an awesome athlete.

Aloha

Byron

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 06:24:07 PM »
what where the top guys on, F 16, F 18, F118 ?

Quite a few were on F 16's and full sized SIC customs and this included the very top guys.  But after that it broke off pretty quickly and there was quite a bit of variety.  C4, Bill Foote, Bark, Naish, Starboard, etc.  It was very cool to see all of the different designs and it sure makes you think about all of the elements.  Devin, the gal who finished right behind me was on a 13 foot, rudderless, ultra light SIC.  She was flying.  Slater beat us all by a bunch on a hollow C4 Vortice XP.   Rider first, of course, but the gear matters.

what do you think makes someone like Dave so bloody fast ?

Bionics.   ;)

Seriously, I wouldn't know.  It amazes me that he could school everyone so soundly, but the proof is there.  My guess is 1.) Hard work 2.) Natural ability 3.) Ocean /Course knowledge 4.) Great gear that is worked out.

Chan has had him in a yoga class, and said he is the most flexible one there.  Nothing comes easy.

also why do you think Laird doesn't enter these races like the Moliko or the Molokai ?

I don't know.  I would guess that he would not stand to gain that much from it.  He has a pretty substantial list of firsts and maybe that is not next on the list.  Just a guess.

If you get a chance, come over and do one of these things with us normal guys.  This is major fun at whatever level you bring .

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 08:00:23 PM »
I need to figure out a way to do this someday.

Did you see any of the Starboard Points there?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 08:09:06 PM »
Did you see any of the Starboard Points there?

Yes, at least one.  If memory serves, one of the Hi tech guys was on it.

wadadli_waterman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 05:38:17 AM »
Oh man.  I took the biggest dose of humble pie yesterday on a down wind run.  It wasnt just a piece of the pie....it was the whole pie....right in the face!

My plan was to do the run "pretending" the whole time that I was in the Naish race as Randy described so well here. 

We had some real conditions this time; 20 knots and 4-6ft seas.  I have never fallen off a paddle board so many times in one session since I started this sport.

Down wind boards can really "squirt" forward on the biggler swells.  It was pretty tricky transitioning from a parralell stance to surf stance at certain times.  If I didnt step back soon enough the board would "rail up" and throw me.

On top of that the swell was new with an old swell of a different direction.  So many times there would be a peak with two converging swells just as it rolled up under you......man that was hard.

Here I was feeling so cocky on my last session..........I am glad I got this slap in the face....time to focus and really strive.....its lovely learning new things on the water.

Byronmaui

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 10:48:23 AM »
Does anyone have a pic of the makeshift craft with the SUP boards that carried Darren Quinn during the race? My friend told me about it and said there was a pic in the Maui News. I guess it had 4 paddlers and a chair?

Aloha

Byron

sergiorio

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 03:15:30 PM »
Byron,
I've got a lot of photos from the race but the mags are still picking.
You know they want those exclusive shots :o
I will have them posted on my site soon. Just keep checking the SUPgallery.
I found a couple to spare for the time being, hope you enjoy it!
Aloha

Byronmaui

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 11:09:45 PM »
Thanks Sergio.

Aloha

Byron

P.S.I think I met you before at my office? Betsill Brothers/ Clearly Maui?

sergiorio

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 11:54:14 PM »
Yes that was me in the beginning of the year trying to hustle some mortgages. I've decided to do that part time and put my heart and soul on something I really love...Photography.
And I will tell you more, I've never been happier.
P.S. DBanks and Tracy were in for dinner tonight. Classic duo!
I really like those guys...they crack me up.

Hope to see you out there soon.

Aloha,

Byronmaui

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 09:16:59 AM »
Yes that was me in the beginning of the year trying to hustle some mortgages. I've decided to do that part time and put my heart and soul on something I really love...Photography.
And I will tell you more, I've never been happier.
P.S. DBanks and Tracy were in for dinner tonight. Classic duo!
I really like those guys...they crack me up.

Hope to see you out there soon.

Aloha,

Cool and glad you are pursuing your dreams. I will see ya in the water soon.

Aloha

Byron

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 07:12:53 AM »
Sergio www.sergiorio.com sent over some pictures of the event.  The "selects" were already scooped up for publication by Clay at http://standupjournal.com/ but here is a taste. 

Eddie Ogata and Chan talking strategy

Big Angulo racer

Team Darren Launches

A couple of me moving towards the start

Dave Kalama getting going

Jamie Mitchell finish

Mark Raaphorst finish

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:23:19 AM by Admin »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2008, 07:47:03 AM »
Great pics! Thanks.

Hard to believe Mark finished as he did with such a short time since the bicep surgery.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

champcrow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 07:36:40 PM »
Cool pic's ,looked like a great day. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal