Author Topic: Longboard Luau or Stand Up Paddle Surfing?  (Read 4064 times)

iwaterman

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Longboard Luau or Stand Up Paddle Surfing?
« on: August 19, 2007, 02:29:17 PM »
My session this morning was my second coming off a minor back injury - just a pulled/strained muscle - but I was in the water and not holding back.   I went out at the Shores, mostly for convenience, but the water has been crystal clear so I added a visit to the Marine room into my session.  I was blessed in seeing what I would call a school of Yellowtail.  There was a huge school of baitfish near shore and as I paddled through them I spotted what I thought was a leopard shark, but as I got closer I saw the distinct split yellow tail.  Big ones - legal size for sure. 

atfer a few hours of surf and dive, I went in for about 30 minutes to get some food - my belly was rubbing a blister on my backside.  From my tailgate kitchen, I made myself some fresh Hawaiian coffee and cooked a sweet Italian sausage rapped in a tortilla.  MMMMMMMM good - hit my spot.  Ready for more waves.

It turns out that the Longboard Luau was taking place at the Scripps Institute of O'graphy.  This event is made up of teams composed of sponsors and cancer survivors to raise money for cancer research.  They've been doing it for 14 years with agreat deal of success, as this is now an internationally renound event.  So, I decided to paddle down and watch a bit.  I didn't see much, except for the fact that a bit of swell was begining to push in with some chest to head high sets.  I decided to make up for the drought I experienced ealier in the morning and catch a few down the beach from the contest about 100 yards. 

After surfing hard for about 45 minutes I caught one in and was ready to head home.  As I was leaving the water some people ran up to me, very excited and looking very interested in my board and paddle.  This about the 7th time this has happened to me (if you read this forum regularly, you'll know I've spoke of this phenomenon before).  This group of people who were watching the Lonbaord Luau said that they had gotten bored and decided to come watch me surf instead.  I personally don't think that I'm even slightly exciting to watch surf, but the combination of standing constantly, paddling with something that looks like a canoe paddle, and lacking covertness in every sense of the word, electrifies people. 

I'm actually sorry that I took some attention away from the event because of its cause (and I personally have suffered family losses due to this desease), but I guess there's just something about SUP that draws people to watch, and excites them in a different way than standard surfing does. 

I think WE should organize a fundraising event for some good cause.  With the interest that SUP has captured, we could help some well deserving organization in a big way.  Any all we would have to do is STAND UP PADDLE AND SURF!!! 

Any takers on joining me in this?

g shepherd

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Longboard Luau or Stand Up Paddle Surfing?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 09:13:48 PM »
iwaterman-- I was helping run the contest at the Luau&Longboard Invitational and I saw you down the way. Looked like fun!

SUP fever hit the Luau this year. We had three SUBs in our silent auction-- a C4, a Walden Wahine model, and a gorgeous custom board whose provenance escapes me right now. I will try to get ahold of some pics. The guy who won the custom board in the silent auction actually donated it back to the event for the live auction, so it sold twice! The total amount raised was in the neighborhood of $400K.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind brainstorming a way to add SUPs to the Luau, if you're interested. It might not work given the format of the event (corporate sponsored teams each paired with a "legend"). But it's worth kicking the idea around.

First post by the way...I'm not officially part of the tribe, but I've been out with Mitch's Marine Room Mauraders a couple times and am in the market for a board.

iwaterman

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Longboard Luau or Stand Up Paddle Surfing?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 10:51:47 PM »
Aloha,

Congrats on the successful fundraiser.  I would definitley like to talk to you about adding SUP to the event, or even have a seperate event.  Many great causes just waiting for someone to do a little bit of organization that leads to a lot of benefit.

I've organized an event that's taking place on September 22nd, with a goal of introducing some of the newcomners to the "old-timers" of SUP in Southern California.  Lots of good sponsors, including C4 Waterman, Bob's Mission Surf, Legends Surf, Exdream Sprortz, Deline Wealth Management, etc.  We'll be paddling from north Shores around the pier and up to Blacks where we'll catch 10 waves and return.  BBQ in the park afterward with a raffle prize giveaway.  Please go to my website for more info:

http://www.sdwaterman.com/events/SummertimeContest.htm

Shoot me an email anytime and let's get together for a paddle.  I've got two sets of equipment and can let you try out some different boards before you buy. 

Thanks again for the note, and I hoep to talk to you soon!

~Aloha~

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]