Author Topic: Visiting Santa Cruz In August  (Read 3261 times)

Dave B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Visiting Santa Cruz In August
« on: July 19, 2012, 08:46:12 AM »

Hi there,
  I am a fellow zoner that will be headed to west coast and will have a few days solo.  I'll be trying to  catch some surf and or do some paddling out in the s Cruz area August 13-15.
  I have recently become the proud owner of L41 SimSup (the surf green one on his facebook page)which I love, so I'll be reaching gout to Kirk
for some advice too. I'll also reach out to the Angulo boys as well (met them at surf expo).
   The Zone is so awesome, and I know there is a very active group here that live and surf in the area.  Any advise on where to surf, cheap hotels, cool places to eat have a few beers etc.?  I'll prolly have to rent a board & paddle as well-  any advise would be super helpful!  And of course any of you who are available to go for a surf wou,d be even better! 

Thanks- can't wait to visit and will be praying for some fun surf. 

Dave

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Santa Cruz In August
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:26:30 PM »
+1  I'll be up that way a few days after you.  Interested in being pointed in the right direction as far as surf spots.  I won't invade your lineup and will only be out there for about two sessions.  Help a zoner out!
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 01:40:42 PM »
i was there last weekend and went to 47th and cliff.  Its mostly beginner spot, very mellow and mushy but that weekend didnt have much swell.  I really want to surf at steamer but it was high tide w/o any swell so didn't get to surf there. 
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 03:07:10 PM »
Covewater SUP has the best SUP/SUS rentals in Santa Cruz, IMO. I've been just getting into SUS so I don't have a lot of experience yet (used to do bodyboarding a lot). We take a drive up the coast to Davenport some times because it's rarely crowded. We've also gone in at the stairs by The Hook (around 41st Ave) and then gone up or down the coast to find breaks away from the main lineups. We've also gone to Capitola and surfed on the far side (closer to Santa Cruz) of the pier. Parking in that area sucks, though.

Dave B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 05:40:07 PM »
Great info thanks very much!  Looking forward to a change of scenery!

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 05:39:31 PM »
Right in Davenport, head down the one way road to the park.

In between Waddell and Davenport, there's a couple of beaches that are fun too and more space and room for less experienced folk.
Don't forget to bring a towel!

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 05:47:45 PM »
Keep an eye out.
This little 16 footer was spotted 20 yards of the beach in Rio del Mar on Thursday.

crkrider

• Malibu Status
  • just before the sharks arrived
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 01:51:02 PM »
Yes, Covewater SUP rentals and locval advise. When everything else is flat, try Waddell Creek out by the North San Mateo County line. As for the men in Gray suits,
seals are one of their favorite foods. Stay alert.
Oh, and as for the Starbucks downtown, it's probably more dangerous than most sharks.
There was a motorcycle gang shooting there last year. Two guys in rival gangs got in an arguement over whose pumpkin spiced latte it was. One of them pulled a pistol. Luckily no bystanders got hit with stray bullits.

CT

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 08:53:07 AM »
+1 for Covewater.  Recommended.

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 06:14:18 PM »
If you have some time off the water, check out the mystery spot.  i still can't figure out if it is a hoax or if something really strange is going on there.  I did have the sensation that can only be described as similar to being in a pressurized air plane.  And no, I was not under the influence.

http://www.mysteryspot.com/

If anything, you can get yourself a rad bumper sticker. 

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal