Author Topic: Lots of Shark Talk lately... Teckie question for deep thinkers  (Read 43894 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of Shark Talk lately... Teckie question for deep thinkers
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 11:46:46 AM »
Interesting study, they didn't have a solid conclusion on the attractive nature of shark deterrents because they didn't map the field strength. It could be calculated pretty easily, the sheet resistance effect in a conductive media like salt water is a pretty straightforward thing. But I think the likely way to have a shark attracted by a repellent device is if the individual shark has been positively reinforced with food associated with the field.

In other words, if you get one, don't lend it to a seal.

Interpreting the study in my own terms, I'd guess the big value might be that you'd get a chance to confront the shark--it's first pass, which usually would be your last, might be turned and you'd know it was there. It probably would remain tentative and might be turned away--unless it did a high-speed rush, in which case any financial worries you had would be someone else's problem.

We're afraid of sharks for the same reason we fear airplanes over cars. We don't have any control over the outcome. Having a shark deterrent you believe in will eliminate that fear. It's not a reasonable fear, you're 20 times more likely to drown. So whatever works to quell it will be beneficial. For me, the math is enough.

The "robot telemetric submarine" I built for the science fair in my junior year of high school relied on sheet resistance to communicate with the surface. Funny to think that version one of the sub has been lying on the bottom of Boston Harbor for fifty years. Version two was hastily slapped together to have something to show. I never put that one in the water because I knew the gasket wouldn't hold. That version undoubtedly is rotted in a dump somewhere. Version One had a better fate, though I was deeply disappointed in it at the time.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

teatrea

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 02:38:02 PM »
I believe life is pretty much pre-determined , so if is my way to go by shark attack so be it , dont worry about it.

Crunchy_Bob

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 04:14:16 PM »
Brenden your second link is broken, that site doesn't use www just http://sharks-ocearch.verite.com/ and i'm a little dubious about that site, 3 sharks in the last 24 hours have pinged miles inland on rural highways which leads me to think that the dreaded land-shark is on the loose and moving northward  :o
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:17:32 PM by Crunchy_Bob »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 04:32:05 PM »
3 sharks in the last 24 hours have pinged miles inland on rural highways which leads me to think that the dreaded land-shark is on the loose and moving northward  :o

Western Union....umm......Candygram......... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 05:29:32 PM »
There is a guy out here on the west coast that swears about his repellant being the bomb, it's just a simple zebra pattern on the bottom of the board.  He swears that the sharks hate it, and when they see it, they split.  He sells it as a stickon application, can't remember the name tho, but I'm sure you could find it if you Google it.

But then again, I have a board that is silver on the bottom, and another one that is blue, and one that's red, and one that's yellow, and I have never been attacked, maybe those colors work as well.  ;)
It takes a quiver to do that.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 05:45:36 PM »
More on the shark repellent that Batman uses.  In here he demonstrates how to use it while actually in the waves.

!

supthecreek

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 06:59:21 PM »
Brendon, thanks for the link
Thanks to Pono for the Cliff Notes version.

They concluded that there was not sufficient evidence to suggest that sharks were attracted the electronic deterrent.

Interesting stuff. I have surfed many places where sharks were prevalent, but in those locales, the behavior was established and ordinary, and close sightings, even in Australia were only periodic.

On Cape Cod while they may always have been in the area, they were NEVER a topic of conversation and sightings were VERY rare. The last few years they have been seen regularly in the Monomoy Island area.... well away from populated beaches, the exception being Light House Beach in the Chatham Inlet.

But last weekend there are multiple sighting/interactions (9) at the beaches we surf. We are always in the middle of seals. That's a LOT of great Whites in one weekend.

If a shark attack is "predetermined" why put the breaks on when driving through an intersection? I mean... your fate is predetermined anyway, so...

Yes... I did surf for 3 1/5 hours today. Only 1-2 feet but SUPER glassy little peelers.
I had my own right peak for 2 hours of the session... just me and the seals ;)

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 07:00:03 PM »
this works for me in the land of Fluffy...
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 07:03:54 PM »
sup i am with you. That is a lot of sightings and close by I would be more than nervous,  I have 2 greta white in the water in 48 years of surfing both times I did my best Jesus impersonation,, I will send you a pm as this discussion came up on another website also  but was regarding bulls in  florida. The ting is  these sharks as evolutionary advance as eating machines  make a  a lot of tasting mistakes.  That makes me or anyne nervous,  So as you continue to surf those waters, My hats off to you.    with deep respect,
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

UDflyer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 07:11:25 PM »
^^^could you point me to that site about bulls in FL?? Thats where i am and would like to find out more info. Thanks

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 07:22:11 PM »
I think I'll paint a large picture of Donald Trump on the bottom of my board...that's enough to make even a great white lose his appetite....of course he might just bite for spite too.... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 08:12:39 PM »
Weed,
   Had this conversation tonight regarding the origins of the seal populations around here. Growing up summering here in the 70's and 80's , i never heard of, or perhaps never paid attention to the presence of seals here. Tonight with a conversation with a man of some intelligence, he said that they arrived byway of "The Perfect Storm" from Maine and once arrived, permanent washashores.  Is this theory possible? Locals? I lived in the V.I. at the time, not sure but around 91-92?

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 09:15:38 PM »
PO8... that time line 91-92 seems about accurate. I was hanging in Falmouth in the 70's started windsurfing in the Hyannis area in 1981 and never heard of any great white sitings. Once the "Cut" opened up things started to change.

teatrea

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 10:44:11 PM »
Seriously guys, I think I've seen well over 1000 sharks in my life, mostly from going places to TRY to see them. Never had any kind of threatening encounter. You're working yourself up over something that represents a tiny danger.  No matter where you surf.

If you have any saltwater crocs where you surf, then worry, other than that, the sharks don't want you. It's like worrying about gay guys hitting on you. REALLY? Have you seen how those guys dress, groom, and take care of their bodies. They don't want your skanky butt. They want seals--the sharks that is, not the gay guys.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal