Author Topic: Anyone ever injure back while paddling  (Read 8349 times)

jimmyz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone ever injure back while paddling
« on: July 08, 2012, 01:31:58 PM »
Hey Zoners, any of you ever get a back injury while paddling? I did a 2 hr paddle on my Whopper yesterday and I felt a pinch with about 20 minutes left in the session. Today I'm crippled! I injured my back before, although its been a few years, it feels like a sprain or strain. I'm off to the doc and I'm burning beautiful summer days here in the NW on my back!

Shark

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone ever injure back while paddling
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »
In April I paddled from Shilshole out to West Point hoping for some freighter waves.  Wind was from the north but fairly light on the way out; however, it picked up considerably by the time I headed back which made for a pretty grueling return trip.  My lower back was pretty sore for several weeks afterward but some rest and a couple of trips to the chiropractor seemed to take care of it.

PiratesSayARRR

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 03:08:47 PM »
I pulled my lat and oblique a couple of weeks ago. I had just gotten on the water and I wasn't fully warmed up yet. I pulled to hard on my left side and zing! Shooting pain into my lat. I finished my paddle and was working on some race turns and that is when it really hurt. As I was using my core to balance on the turn the pain came back and I fell into the water. I had a race the following weekend and didn't do to well. The pain is completely gone now. It's been about 6 weeks.

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 03:19:13 PM »
I paddled my new wooden board last Sunday, nothing big, just up the river a bit, after all it was 97 degrees and the water was in the 80's.  Ever since then I have lower back issues, never had lower back issues before.  feels like sciatic nerve issues because it is down into my legs.  An IB handles it pretty well if I take 200 mg's every 4 hours, but when I stretch it out, I am in for some major discomfort.

I can't blame it on the paddling, because there are other issues in my life at the same time, but it is quite the coincidence.
Obfuscation through elucidation

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 06:04:09 PM »
Celeste
might not be paddling... maybe lifting the wooden board.. if it's heavy ??

I know it may sound lame...but:
I have suffered a herniated disc in my lower back for years
I joined a golf course 3 years ago...so I could play a lot... I needed the 5 mile walk every day.
Funny thing... I think the act of swinging the club for 3 hours a day kept my back "unkinked"
I have never(knock on wood) had a problem with my back since.

After I started SUPing, I cut way back on the golf...
Whenever my back felt glichy... I played a round of golf... end of problem, back was fine.
self chiropractic realignment... or just a good excuse to play?

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 08:54:20 PM »
It is under 35 pounds, just as likely, 2 civic short blocks in a week,  I do them faster and with less help then any of the guys, but at almost 51 my body tells me about it.  Usually it is a lot of upper back issues, but I am bent over at the waist most of the job so lower back issues could be expected.  It is just the timing, the pain is something new, and paddling is the only new thing I did.  That does not necessarily implicate the paddling, but.....

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 08:30:35 PM »
Sounds like you need a masseuse  ;D

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:33:54 AM »
Creek,
Just wondering out loud, but If you could get a doctor's perscription to play a round of golf 3 times a week, you could write off the greens fees as medical expenses...

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 10:32:28 AM »
Creek,
Just wondering out loud, but If you could get a doctor's perscription to play a round of golf 3 times a week, you could write off the greens fees as medical expenses...

You should be able to do that if you have a substantial handicap. 

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 09:39:40 PM »
Yeah I've hurt my back SUPing but I did mine falling backwards in a textbook kook move at a rocky low tide point break. No fractures on x-ray but bone scans show a fair bit of bone bruising on a couple of vertebrae and ribs between my shoulder blades and all the surrounding soft tissues are sorely irritated  >:(. I've been encouraged to keep paddling but go easy...good reason to go cruisy and work on some paddling form for a few weeks until it all settles down I suppose.
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 09:49:02 AM »
Sounds like you need a masseuse  ;D
I am a CMT, Massage Therapist is the preferred term, masseuse it usually associated with an older profession ;D

The irony of being a CMT is that no one touches a CMT, seems everyone is scared of not being "up to snuff" or something.

I did another one on monday, 6.5 hours of work from drive in to drive out, and it is my mid back today.   

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 10:01:43 AM »
I did a bunch of 8+ mile downwinders in a row and strained my upper back, the traps and rhomboids I think. It felt like someone had stabbed me with a hot soldering gun on the left side of my cervical spine. Then, in typical fashion, I strained it even worse by lifting a heavy motorcycle onto its center stand. The pain was almost like hot liquid. Took a month, I did not stop paddling but I did have to switch to a smaller blade and decrease my intensity. I also bought a hard foam roller and have been using that a few times a day along with aspirin for the swelling. I think I barely dodged the bullet here and it is prime down winding time so I can't stand the thought of missing even a single session. Parking the bike on its side stand now. ;D

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 10:50:42 AM »
I felt a crunch in my neck last week on the 4th.

I was active all day in spite, on the SUP and the shortboard.

As night came on, my back began seizing up to the point where my muscles on the side of my spine are bulged on one side, flat on the other, and I'm hunched over to the left...can't stand up straight.

This is coupled with a knife stuck in my lower back that stabs deeper as a move around.

Then, every once in a while while my torso rotates, a nerve pinches and my legs buckle.

I am jacked up!

Going to the dr. today.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

SUPinside

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 06:08:10 AM »
Besides the complications of cracking L1 & L2 in a boating accident..I've always struggled w/ back pain and stiffness.  It's no different w/ SUP.. struggling w/ stiffness on long paddles and tweaking/wrenching when playing in surf or doing any aggressive balance training stuff..  What helped me most was learning to narrow my stance and relax on long paddles.. and otherwise learning to go with falls better (relax)/not fighting the moment..

In the meantime, I'm addicted to rolling.. vid (below) is my favorite self therapy.. If you don't have access to (2) TRX.. you can figure lots of ways to suspend legs and use any sort of rings or other suspension training devices.. Regardless, it's easier, more relaxing and fun to roll while suspended..IMO.  enjoy!
Rolling & Stretching back muscles w/ TRX..

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 09:09:26 AM »
I've had back problems for many years (disc degeneration and herniated disc) and SUP generally has helped - as long as I do it in moderation. Problem is that when I'm training hard, my back starts to get sore. I find I have to do 2x30 minutes of back exercises daily to minimize back pain due to long SUP sessions. If I paddle 8km 4 times a week, my back loves it. If I paddle 15km 3 or 4 times a week, I have to watch out. Makes it hard to train for longer events and build endurance.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal