Author Topic: Starboard Pocket Rocket vs. 8'0" PRO  (Read 9416 times)

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Starboard Pocket Rocket vs. 8'0" PRO
« on: June 21, 2012, 09:42:13 AM »
There aren't enough comparisons like this around, so here's my part to contribute information to those who are looking to downsize but aren't sure how low you can go (I'm 185 lbs).

Check out how much more rocker the PRO has and the size difference in the tip. I'd say that is where 15L of the extra 20L hangs out. The tails widths are quite similar until about 5" before the end where the swallow tail of the PR stays wide where the PRO goes squash. The thickness however varies greatly, midway the PR has much thicker round rails, whereas towards the tail the PR is actually thinner with a sharper rail from about 6" to the back. Which is probably why it loves to turn off the tail, I am hoping the PRO is going to be much better at carving on it's rails. Biggest difference underfoot so far is that the PRO has a slightly curved deck as the volume is very central which just feels so weird when you are used to the PR which has a nearly flat deck.

First Test

First test in real waves, big ones too. Not a perfect test, since I only caught 4 or 5 before I knocked off one of the thrusters on a boulder.

This board is insane! It's almost like relearning how to SUP in many ways. The boils and current at secret overhead glassy a-frame bet you didn't know that existed in Canada spot made it signficantly harder to stay standing on when compared to other spots or paddling around flat water in 1' chop. I'm sure my balance will continue to improve as I get used to it though. Sometimes I did find myself wishing I was on the PR, and able to just stand there and pay attention to the sunset instead of not falling, once on the wave though... all worth it.

Dropping in requires some different technique, especially when missing a thruster. You can't just square up to the wave and haul ass as the board will tend to turn, and even the slightest rail pressure once you are moving carves the board. Instead you have to be a bit more critical (but you can still enter the wave well before the longboarders were), and get into the surf stance as quick as possible to counteract the rowing motion. On really early entries you can stay in a offset side foot stance, but you have to really pay attention to weighting the rail on the side you are paddling on to keep tracking straight.

Unlike the PR, which turns off the tail with more of a long board style, this thing shreds just like a shortboard. You set yourself with a wide stance and there is no walking the board required at all. The rails dig in oh so nice and you can pull off super snappy turns, or nice drawn out ones. It's noticeably faster than the PR, scary at times, but stays planted and controllable, once you get used to the twitchiness (which took awhile at those speeds). A really good short boarder would be loving this thing. It was possible to float the lips, slash harder and quicker than the PR, all without the feeling of a pendulum swinging in front of you as you turn. On the PR if I would carve a hard top turn I'd often have to take a few steps forward to drop back in on this wave, whereas the PRO hits the top, turns around and just slides back in. Pump this board and it takes off like a rocket ship with very little flex.

Don't forget to bring a towel!

downwinddave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starboard Pocket Rocket vs. 8'0" PRO
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 10:58:36 AM »
hey canada guy! nice polar bear rug you got there.   
  how did you like the assymetrical fin setup on the PRO, did you get a nice slidey cutback?    :D

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 02:17:26 PM »
Im 10lb less than you, and thinking about get a one with the AST silver contruction.  im wonder if the weight difference bwtween the carbon and AST going be noticable?? Also have you try it in quad set up yet?  I like quad on all my board but seem like most SB is design around thruster setup.
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
There is a noticeable weight difference betwen the PR and the PRO, some which of can be attributed to the volume, but most due to the construction I think. The biggest difference is in the stiffness. I've surfed both boards on the same peak which is extremely consistent in its nature, and when you pump the PR it 'squishes' and kind of takes off, whereas the PRO it scoots out, almost like a skateboard on a halfpipe if you know the sensation.

At 10 lbs lighter, you should have no problem so long as you are used to small boards. You'll likely fall in some times, but it is well worth it!

surfniels

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • surfniels.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 12:50:46 AM »
Nice review. I rode the pocket rocket a while and very much agree on your on your opinion. It doesn't turn like a shortboard at all. I wasn't to happy about he nose shape either..
The pro model does look sweet.. Hope to try one out  some day...

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »
i would hope there is a weight difference as pro is carbon.

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 08:46:39 PM »
Well, it wouldn't be the first time product marketing turned out to be BS, but in this case it seems to be legitimately and noticeably stiffer and lighter which is awesome.

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 08:45:19 PM »
Just got a used 8'0 pro with AST finish.  It is currently in Santa Cruz, hopefully my friend can bring it down to where im at with in a few weeks.  If not a surf road trip to SC. ;)
im down to one board which is my Imagine 8'0, had a great session today.  That board get me super tired with in two hrs.  Im def getting better and not falling in as much each time i use it.  The Pro will have aleast 10 more liter than the Imagine so im hoping i get more glide. I probably run it quad, does anyone have quad fin setup(model) they will to share for the Pro? 
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 08:56:46 PM »
 :'(
Just got a used 8'0 pro with AST finish.  It is currently in Santa Cruz, hopefully my friend can bring it down to where im at with in a few weeks.  If not a surf road trip to SC. ;)
im down to one board which is my Imagine 8'0, had a great session today.  That board get me super tired with in two hrs.  Im def getting better and not falling in as much each time i use it.  The Pro will have aleast 10 more liter than the Imagine so im hoping i get more glide. I probably run it quad, does anyone have quad fin setup(model) they will to share for the Pro? 

I don't have the same board but I'm really loving my Rainbow Heaters quad set.  I get the quad speed but with the back fins being more upright it turns nicely.  I've even been using a Nubster small center fin for a little more hold and control and it doesn't affect the turning or speed...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal