Author Topic: Any good ways to protect my knees while learning?  (Read 4629 times)

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any good ways to protect my knees while learning?
« on: June 16, 2012, 12:36:15 PM »
I got back from my first SUP surf experience with many holes in my knees.

I know it is called Stand up paddling, but the nice little swell that hit the gulf last week was not not going to let me do much of the stand-up part.

4 days of fun surfing and learning how to SUP surf, came at the expense of having to be on my knees most of that time. The many 3 & 4 hour sessions took there toll.

I was wondering does any one have any suggestions to protect my knees during this learning transition?
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Any good ways to protect my knees while learning?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 01:24:39 PM »
Don't get on your knees to begin with. It's a bad habit and doesn't help you learn to balance.

My advice...

Lay down with the paddle under your chest. Stroke as hard as you can, pop up, and start paddling. The forward momentum will stabilize the board, and you will learn quicker.

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 02:44:24 PM »
Go out past the surf on choppy days and paddle up and down the coast to practice your balance. 

Once you get your balance down, you are going to have alot more fun catching waves on your SUP standing up. 

finsider

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 03:22:23 PM »
Cardiff is right, but I know how hard it is to stay standing, especially in the 20+ knot onshore winds that usually accompany the surf we get here in the gulf.  More time in smaller chop will grant you more balance and less falling in the washing machine surf. Also when out the backside just sit on your rear like a prone surfer.

Where there is wind, there is a wave

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 05:33:20 PM »
Good suggestions, but my time on the coast is very limited.

I live in Atlanta and have never fallen on the local lakes, in wind... We go out about 2 or 3 times a week & race .... It is about the best practicing i can do with the waters available.

My trip to the gulf well be once every 2 months or so. When i'm there, I want to catch waves, especially when is actually a real swell.  This trip the outer reef/sandbar was like San Onofre great long board type waves. (still trying to figure out what to do with the paddle while surfing)

The first day in the gulf was not bad, small knee high, waste high sets 12 knot wind on shore. Standing up was a little tricky but doable catching waves standing was not a problem.
Day 2, 3, & 4, was another animal, head high sets and some good winds and a mean little inside section.
I could only fall off so many times before resorting to kneeling. While kneeling i could catch many waves. While standing i did not even catch 1 in the bigger surf. I guess my nature is to catch waves, practicing standing (while paddling) when the surf is good is a form of torture to me.

All that to say, i know that i should be trying to master just standing up in those conditions, but i just can't let good waves pass me by. ( i probably should have just took a surfboard with me)

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 05:05:57 AM »
Fishman
I am going to hazard a guess that you own a Starboard with "Startouch" instead of a grip pad.

I have lifelong scars from 2 days of learning on my Avanti

If I guessed correctly.... buy a deck pad and install it right over the startouch. I did on my  Avanti and it worked perfectly.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 06:02:29 AM »
When you're home, try spending some of your time using staggered stance.  Even a small amount makes a difference.  Also, switch which foot is forward. 

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 03:00:30 PM »
When you're home, try spending some of your time using staggered stance.  Even a small amount makes a difference.  Also, switch which foot is forward. 

Yeah, i think this is very good advice for me. I will be moving my feet around a lot more after that experience. Thanks all

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 03:19:18 PM »
Fishman
I am going to hazard a guess that you own a Starboard with "Startouch" instead of a grip pad.

I have lifelong scars from 2 days of learning on my Avanti

If I guessed correctly.... buy a deck pad and install it right over the startouch. I did on my  Avanti and it worked perfectly.

No, the pad is the standard type you see on most budget boards. I'm sure i'll have some scars also.

My problem was partially due to me spending 6-7 hour out there each day. It was kind of weird that i could stay out that long. When i was a young man i could never stay out near that long, prone surfing 2-3 hours and i was normally done. Maybe get a second 2 hour session in the evening if the winds where good. These SUP sessions where relatively easy, Maybe i'm in better cond now ???. (i might think differently if i was on my feet the whole time)

Got to love SUPSurfing  :) 

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 11:06:48 PM »
Don't get on your knees to begin with. It's a bad habit and doesn't help you learn to balance.

Excellent advice.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

GizzeeNZ

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 12:51:51 AM »
staggered knee stance could be helpful for sure  :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 07:28:48 AM »
Knee pain is why toddlers learn to stand. We'd all be crawling if it weren't painful.

This is one of those questions that six months from now you'll be wondering what the fuss was. My knee scars are almost gone. Of course so is the scar where I hit my leg with a chainsaw.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 07:49:14 AM »
Get yourself a neoprene sleeve like what geezer gimp-kneed basketball players use.  Water temps being pretty high, I'm guessing a long john wetsuit would be overkill. Just something to provide a modest barrier is probably all that's needed...and stand more  ;)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 10:57:03 AM »
A very blunt answer I know but the best way is to stay off of them.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 07:10:15 PM »
I've got permanent knobs of scar tissue on both knees from the early days....my balance REALLY sucked. When it got bad/painful I'd use the sleeves with the gel circle over the kneecap...helped to keep it in place.

Work on paddling through the whitewater and in chop. I know you want to catch waves but you'll catch more in the long run with practice. I will often..even these days..just stay in the whitewater zone and play. It's an amazing workout and the absolute best way to get better quickly.

What board do you have and how big are you? You may want to consider a more stable but shorter board for surf. I struggle on my 10-6 at 28" wide unless it's glassy, I can dance all day on my 9'0 x 34".

You use the paddle while surfing. Get it on the face of the wave and turn on it, get speed to get around sections, etc..
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:15:34 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill