Author Topic: Am I going to have a heart attack my next paddle?  (Read 12491 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Am I going to have a heart attack my next paddle?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 08:09:04 PM »
One of the interesting things about iPhone apps is that they update all the time, Every so often I have to take a moment to look at the menus of the apps I use to find out what's new. Along those lines I just discovered Motion-X now has heart rate monitor integration.

Team--I know this junk isn't for everyone. I'm a twidget. And even I don't use it all the time.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »
As I get older, I see quite a few folks that have reached a ripe old age. Many were very successful and have lots of $$$$ but they are totally unprepared for the reality of BEING old. Sure, there is the odd person that has spunk and is able to live a full and rewarding life, but in too many cases, the achieving the "long life" is not all it's cracked up to be.

At 64 I spend a lot of time surfing Gnarly winter waves alone or paddling miles from anywhere. If I go , I go. I told my daughters "If I die out there, just remember, I am doing what I love, if something happens, I lived my life right to the end"

My exit strategy: at some point I'm gonna start woofing down cheesburgers & fries, drinking and smoking. I think "the big one" just might be the best way to "kick out" of this ride. Of course that "point" gets moved further away every year. Hopefully SUP will glide me well into mist....

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 09:11:58 AM »
I like the cut of your jib Creek.  If and when I hit 85 and things look bleak, I'm going to pull a Kevorkian and schedule me a vacation to Teahupoo.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 10:02:31 AM »
supthecreek, I am totally with you.

I took care of my mom the last 4 years she was around, it was not pretty. She was almost 90 when she went and it was too long for her. My dad on the other hand went out early - only 58 - but he went on the golf course doing what he lived to do. I've lost a number of close friends to unexpected health issues that were only in their 50's and early 60's. Life is uncertain but one thing's for sure, nobody lives forever. This ain't no dress rehearsal!

Experiencing what happened with my mom and dad and those close friends made a big enough impression that I made some recent major changes that, at 55, give me time to do what I want, even if I don't have as much money as I could have had if I'd worked longer. When I go, I'm not going to have any regrets. I figure its all gravy after 50. Obviously, Your Mileage May Vary. Paddle on!

Oh, I like Slatch Jim's plan too except Teahupoo scares me near to death just thinking about it. That is one scary 'wave'. More like a freak hydraulic.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:05:22 AM by covesurfer »

mittenkitten

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 05:41:07 PM »
I used to work in a cardiovascular ICU recovering patients from open heart surgery and I'll say this: most of our patients had no clue they had coronary artery disease or even that they had a heart attack. I'd say at least half of them were undergoing stress testing prior to some other procedure (knee replacement, gallbladder, etc) when they failed their stress test and bought themselves a stent or open heart surgery. High cholesterol, high blood pressure and coronary artery disease are very insidious; most people have no clue they have it. If you're concerned, have a stress test to give yourself some peace of mind.

Number one cause of coronary artery disease is smoking, by far and away. Then probably genetics, followed by diet and obesity. Continue to do what you love - I think that keeps you younger more than anything. Just look at someone like Mick Jagger, who no doubt abused his body heavily through the years with drugs and alcohol but is still performing to this day. I'm convinced that if he'd been a factory worker and ingested all he has he would have been six feet under and cold long ago, but his passion keeps him young. 
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung...

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 06:06:17 PM »
swordfish - what heart rate monitor are you using with run keeper? Does it matter or just have to be bluetooth?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 06:36:10 PM »
I'd love to occasionally have some real time updates. I sometimes take my phone along for music and safety. For training it could be a great help to get the feedback.

Knowing what your body is doing is good for your health as well as your paddling. Getting regular checkups, a stress test if your suspicious. I was and did after our brother Dave died of a heart attack and I had some chest pains. It's worth knowing, not that it would stop me paddling, just mitigate as possible and prepare better.

I have no interest in outlasting my ability to appreciate life. If I was diagnosed with something terrible I'd make one last long surf trip. Hit some legendary breaks and find a big enough one for one final spectacular wipeout.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 11:35:57 PM »
I used to say I'm just going to keep getting fast race cars and the situation will take care of itself. Then I discovered that I couldn't handle the higher G loads.

I don't think there's an answer to all this except keep having fun. Just don't stop. I see guys all the time that have retired and just sit around waiting to Kaack.  But I also see people having a fine time living a life that doesn't include all the whacky stuff I like to do. I expect that at some point I'll be backing off on things. I don't think I'll need to blow my brains out if that happens. I could enjoy life just learning new stuff, sitting in a chair. I'll hold off on that until it's all I have left, but I don't HAVE to do any particular thing to enjoy hanging out. As a guy who has no spiritual convictions whatever, I pretty much consider that this is all there is.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 11:44:35 PM »
My advice is to not see this new movie Prometheus if you have a weak heart.  Just saw it tonight and now I'm afraid to go to sleep.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 06:35:56 AM »
In my 20's I hiked in the Santa Monica mountains.  I met a 72 yr. old little lady, on the trail.  I thought I would talk with her for a minute and then go on.  I could not hike faster than she did.  Inspiration!

Surfer44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 10:05:04 AM »
I windsurf with a couple of guys at Bird Island TX. They're 87 AND 91.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
 but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:
"WOW, what a ride!!!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 10:51:55 AM »
Ok. Eat healthy, exercise, live, love, enjoy life, jump on party waves, paddle with dolphins, be prepared, and don't worry... Check/
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 08:25:12 PM »
swordfish - what heart rate monitor are you using with run keeper? Does it matter or just have to be bluetooth?

I'm not using one, if you go into the settings there is a heartrate monitor section. if you hit the button that says "get one!" it links you to the website to buy one.

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 08:35:09 PM »
I windsurf with a couple of guys at Bird Island TX. They're 87 AND 91.

That is awesome. 

Met a local Hawaiian military vet named "ACE" at Poka'i Bay, Oahu...a  very classy guy and smooth Stand Up Surfer. 82 years old. 

All great motivating figures to keep strokin' until you're called home that last time.

decagrog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 01:05:11 AM »
I think that I've some to write about that subject...
I'm 30 and started to have extrasystoles about 4-5 years ago, had different check-up (stress test, ekg, blood exams )  all exams are negative and there is nothing pathologic and the doc just told me to have regular check just to be sure.

Extrasystoles are very common in healthy people, they can be related with a disease but most of the time are of physiologic origin ...more of us never perceive it, for me I perceive those skipped beat fully and sometimes with pain

I still can try an EKG holter monitor in order to record the extra during a whole day ( had an holter 2 years ago but that day incredibly never had one!  >:( )

Recently they bother me also when I workout (so also during the race  :( ) and those are sometimes scary...if I feel more that 2-3 extra in 1min I start to decrease the workload, during a paddle race I'm definitely not happy but it's better than feel fainting or panicked.

I try to copy with them, there are good and bad days but they're bothersome...some of you have extrasystoles?

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal