Author Topic: Sunday dawn patrol with Tim  (Read 44939 times)

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
Re: Sunday dawn patrol with Tim
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 08:13:40 PM »
got it-should be fun!
I will b the one with something checkered! ::)
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2012, 08:31:42 PM »
Yes Bringing the Hyper.
Rode it today for 3 Hours.
Now I know why they call it a Kids Board.
Makes you feel like a kid!

Ralph
Sup-position
Huntington Beach, California, USA
(714) 899-3020

www.Sup-position.com
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2012, 04:21:30 AM »
415 comes early!  U know u love your shaper u wake up 15 minutes early to get him!
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

ObviousSup

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2012, 04:30:19 PM »
415 comes early!  U know u love your shaper u wake up 15 minutes early to get him!

Or you know which side of your bread is buttered...

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2012, 05:26:35 PM »
Good time.  Broken leashes, broken boards.  Was it really that big out there?  I should try out for swimming in the Olympics.

"So, Mr. Cardiff ummm, Sweeper is it?  How did you train for this swim meet?"

"well, you see, I like to paddle out at secret spots and tow my board out by bailing it under relentless pounding surf....at 5am."

I'd do it all over again. :)

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2012, 05:47:26 PM »
Fun Sesh Cardiff!-i saw you get a few definitely overhead + waves out there!
The look on the faces of the local prone crew was worth the drive! :D
"What the Hell!-its the Supocalypse!!"
counted 15 at the peak of our invasion.
Everyone catching big bombs-hooting-just a great sesh-fun spot with lots of room to roam. Great Crew-SL-Big Ed-Mana Karma-Sup Position (Ralph) dropped into a left bomb as i scratched to get out of his way, my wife, my son CD, Kneecap,Cardiff, Corran,a few others i cant remember. Warm water -nice NW/SW peaks-SL buckled his stick. I got Halibutted for about 10 seconds when i decided to not kick out and took a bomb on the head-so fun!
Topped it off with a nice bagel sandwich at the end.
Oh and dont tell anyone else-its still a "Secret"
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2012, 05:51:57 PM »
The first Timapalooza, or socalZoneapalooza was a blast.  As I expected, the fading NW windswell and the rising SW swell gave us one or two overhead sets... And if you stayed on it long enough to tag the close out lip, you (and your board) paid the price, landing the floater and on the paddle back out.  At one time, there were fifteen Zoners in the water ranging in age from the young CD Kinley at 19 or so, to the exceedingly old Strand Leper at 47.

Cardiff broke a leash or two, Ralphie brought down a half dozen boards, I emptied out my garage and laid the contents on the sand... And on my fifth or sixth wave managed to buckle the Mach 1. Good thing Aventador was waiting in the wings.  

Kiku got pushed nearly down to the river mouth on her paddle out but still managed to snag a beast.  Ralphie was waiting outside for a mystery cloud break... I was ready to bust his chops for paddling to Catalina... When a wave stands up in front of him and he crushes it for a hundred yards or so.

Kneecap was going off on his new Imagine 8'3"... So Cal was getting bombs... Mrs. So Cal was stroking into power, paying the consequences on the inside... And laughing about it... And later admitting that she might have cried once or twice after the eighth wave on the head in succession. Paddlecrazy was grinning ear to ear, Big Ed was nails on his new bevel deck Kings.  Mauna Karma was showing off his beautiful stroke while riding wave after wave on his 8'3"Imagine  Tourmodave was way outside waiting for the left bombs... Patrick was super stoked at 5:15... Victor from HB was jovial, and stoked. Corran was shaking his head, wondering how I possibly could have broken yet another board... And might have snagged a couple of rights.

Fifteen people, and it didn't even feel crowded... That's how many waves there were.

Between playing host, making sure that everyone's drinks were filled and bodies were intact, I got few fun little runners.

The coolest part is that when the proners woke up and paddled out at 8:30, we were gone.

Sponsored by Speaker City!

Any participants want to give their take?  If I left you out, give a shout!

Gotta cook dinner for the wife now.

Thanks for playing gang.  It was indeed an event!

I told the local proners who I have come to know that it was my birthday party.

Got a bunch of well wishes... No seriously. It's a friendly place if you show respect...

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2012, 06:13:10 PM »
Ralphie got some pics... Btw.  He said he would post me up here.

T

kneecap

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2012, 07:26:14 PM »
It was just like Dogpatch, only fun!

In all seriousness, it was a great gathering.  I was first down there drinking my coffee and all these people start showing up with stand ups, very cool.  It's funny, but there wasn't a person I talked to among that crew that I wouldn't be happy to have a beer with anytime.  Everybody was just out to have a good time and stoked everybody else was.  It really was what this whole wave riding thing is about.  I can't remember the last time I hooted so much.

I'm still shaking my head over Ralph's cloudbreak.  He was literally 50 yards outside of everybody and a little south and here comes this big rolly thing and he's right there like he knew it was coming.  Just ripped it all the way through.

Every time I turned around Tim was dropping in on a bomb.  Solid waves and some good runners.  I missed the turn he buckled the Mach 1 on, but dude was laying down some solid tracks.

Mrs. SoCal was right in there digging in on the sets, just like her old man (only with less checkers) and getting crushed with the rest of us.

Cardiff was on all kinds of interesting craft and looked at home on all of them.  Guy has that whole butter smooth thing working for him and I'm jealous.

Big Ed had a beautiful left toward me with the GoPro running where we could have slapped a high five.

For the most part I was flailing after dropping down a couple sizes in boards.  That 8'3" is a lot of work to paddle, but I now understand what Tim means when discussing the boards Corran has made for him.  I drew a couple lines on waves where my old 8'6", which is an awesome board, would have chirped or spun out.  But this thing not only hung in, it accelerated through and took off.  I've had my eyes opened quite a bit.

Where we goin' next weekend?

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2012, 08:12:04 PM »
Wow, I bummed I missed this thread/get together!

I don't suppose there are pics/videos?

Kiku

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2012, 08:52:41 PM »
Thanks Tim!

Although I only caught one wave and got thoroughly destroyed trying to get back out I had a GREAT time meeting everyone and watching all of you rip it up out there!

Hope to do it again sometime soon!

Kiku :)

Big Ed

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2012, 08:58:38 PM »
Thanks Tim and Crew I had a great time...It always amazes me how NICE sweepers are.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2012, 10:25:55 PM »
Wow, the first time we all get together and the good energy just flowed. And yes, Supapalooza has a different vibe than when I would go surf with a bunch bros back in the day. The hooting and hollering is the best.  It's so rare to get encouragement...I was thinking out loud, "uh oh, they're yelling my name, now I have to make it!" :p

Thank you all for the great session. Nice to put faces on the names. :)

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2012, 03:27:36 AM »
 Wish I could have made it over for the fun, but that's a little further than I like to paddle from n/e Fla ;D... Glad you guys had fun, though.       Paddle on,     JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Mana Karma

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2012, 06:22:25 AM »
Killer morning guys, and lady ;)

Should have known better than taking an inside wave on way outside to meet everyone, but after spending the following 20 minutes getting washed around the inside I was finally able to push through to the outside and connect and meet a handful of characters from the 'zone, confirming they are actual real people... and pretty bad ass ones at that.

SL had his quiver lining the beach, and good thing after putting his knee through the first one. Was cool talking boards with Corran, who shaped my board but I had yet to meet in person. SoCal was dialed, and has a classy family in and out of water. Everyone was charging, hooting, ripping, and sharing...

It might as well as been your bday SL, cause it was one hell of a party... and one we must repeat before too long.

Peace.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal