Author Topic: Another Newbie  (Read 3687 times)

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Another Newbie
« on: August 18, 2007, 08:45:24 PM »

Aloha,
Thx for a great resource!!! Lots of good advice here.

I just got my first board and are ready for the bigtime...I was thinking of paddling out to the main break with atleast 60 surfers...my first time out...just to get a feel...and it would be safer for me..don't care about others...so I'll charge everywave...

okay that was a joke...I sort of know how frustrating it is to have to tell every new person to use common sense not hog the waves and be an ass....so I've been reading up and hope I have an idea of what I am getting into...I'll get started in windless flatwater, before I progress to anklesnappers...I'll always stay away from crowded areas. I've been surfing for long enough to get irritated over wave hogs, I don't want to be on the receiving end of others irritation. I still need tips on technique though.

So when that is out of the way, anyone have good tip for a paddle. I've been eyeing the C4 or the Surftech Laird...I don't think I want too much flex though, but intuitively I think a longer blade as on the Laird one is good for power variations? I don't know anything about paddling though, so any hints will be welcomed...I'll keep on reading this forum though...great resource...thx.

I am a fairly big guy, 6'1'' about 200lb, I just bought the board I wanted, an 11'6 x 29 3/4 single fin (for some reason I like the feel of a single fin on my longboard so I figured it would work on a SUP)...I already demoed the board shaped by Harold Iggy, which also has an insert for a windsurfing sail. it has some rocker and a fairly progressive rail, so I am figuring I can actually surf it pretty well...after a lot of practice of course...so let me rephrase that...it is possible to surf it pretty well....

For me though I felt it was important to get something stable in the beginning....though I've read here that getting a short one in the beginning doesn't hurt...however everyone I know who does this really recommended going bigger in the beginning.

So it would be great with some advice on two things...one is a paddle, the other is technique..I know form canoe paddling (no not the outriggers ones...the indian canoe type...how much strength one can save by utilizing the right techniques...so any advice on that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thx guys for a great forum..here's two pics from my unpacking ceremony...and since I am going on a vacatuion tomorrow, I will not be able to use the board for 3 weeks :-(

Aloha
Alex

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Another Newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 05:06:17 AM »

Aloha,
Thx for a great resource!!! Lots of good advice here.

I just got my first board and are ready for the bigtime...I was thinking of paddling out to the main break with atleast 60 surfers...my first time out...just to get a feel...and it would be safer for me..don't care about others...so I'll charge everywave...

okay that was a joke...I sort of know how frustrating it is to have to tell every new person to use common sense not hog the waves and be an ass....so I've been reading up and hope I have an idea of what I am getting into...I'll get started in windless flatwater, before I progress to anklesnappers...I'll always stay away from crowded areas. I've been surfing for long enough to get irritated over wave hogs, I don't want to be on the receiving end of others irritation. I still need tips on technique though.

So when that is out of the way, anyone have good tip for a paddle. I've been eyeing the C4 or the Surftech Laird...I don't think I want too much flex though, but intuitively I think a longer blade as on the Laird one is good for power variations? I don't know anything about paddling though, so any hints will be welcomed...I'll keep on reading this forum though...great resource...thx.

I am a fairly big guy, 6'1'' about 200lb, I just bought the board I wanted, an 11'6 x 29 3/4 single fin (for some reason I like the feel of a single fin on my longboard so I figured it would work on a SUP)...I already demoed the board shaped by Harold Iggy, which also has an insert for a windsurfing sail. it has some rocker and a fairly progressive rail, so I am figuring I can actually surf it pretty well...after a lot of practice of course...so let me rephrase that...it is possible to surf it pretty well....

For me though I felt it was important to get something stable in the beginning....though I've read here that getting a short one in the beginning doesn't hurt...however everyone I know who does this really recommended going bigger in the beginning.

So it would be great with some advice on two things...one is a paddle, the other is technique..I know form canoe paddling (no not the outriggers ones...the indian canoe type...how much strength one can save by utilizing the right techniques...so any advice on that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thx guys for a great forum..here's two pics from my unpacking ceremony...and since I am going on a vacatuion tomorrow, I will not be able to use the board for 3 weeks :-(

Aloha
Alex

Alex, check the Aussie forum. There is some nice video of JB ripping on the Naish SUP.

Regarding paddles, Quickblade, C4, or Laird are all fine choices. You will find forum users who prefer each of those three for different reasons. For most it is just feel differences. In general, older guys, like myself, prefer flex because it feels easier on the joints. Don't forget wood paddles. Some are very nice.

Check out this Naish with deck pad. My buddies board. Just some ideas for you. Better to install the pad before using wax.

http://picasaweb.google.com/thefishersfort/ForumPublicAlbum
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 05:16:53 AM by DW »

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 06:10:52 AM »
Kialoa also builds terrific carbon paddles.  Of the Quickblades, the Pops paddle is the stiffer (IMO, a great paddle), and at your size, unless you know that you want a very soft paddle, the Kanaha will not be the correct choice.  Also, for bigger guys, the slight weight penalty that comes with wood is only a minor detractor, so I agree with DW, give those a look as well.  I paddled Cammar's Malama, and went home and ordered one.  They feel great!

Welcome to the board!

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 12:03:56 AM »

so many choices..I ended up getting a Laird Kanaha paddle from quickblade.  I'll use it tomorrow..had to do the family thing today.

I've been out twice in flat water, and are starting to get a feel for it. Trying to do the quick turns and small hard pushes...any final tips before I try my board in some ankle snappers (without anyone else in)?

A.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 05:50:52 PM »
How did it go in the waves?  Finding the balance point while dropping in can be tricky at first.  I think it is important to keep your weight forward as you apply preassure to your inside rail and switch to warrior.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 05:55:33 PM by Chan »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard