Author Topic: Photo Tour of Cape Cod Flatwater Options  (Read 7313 times)

supthecreek

Photo Tour of Cape Cod Flatwater Options
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:41:57 PM »
Summers here... and I have seen lots of posts about visiting Cape Cod.

I wanted to give some exposure to the endless paddling options we have to offer. The ocean surrounds Cape Cod so there is obviously tons of open water to traverse.

I will cover the flatwater potential that exists here. There are endless amounts of Bays, Coves, Rivers, Creeks & Marshes to explore. A little known fact is: there are over 360 fresh water ponds & lakes as well. I will never get to paddle them all... there's just too much available. I just want to give you a feel for the potential. It's ALL good, this is just a taste.

I will do it with pictures. Most I took while paddling this winter & Spring. The other ones I had to jump real high to take ::)

I have enjoyed a nice paddle in Barnstable Harbor, it's pretty big with Sandy Neck Beach & Cottage colony as a great destination.

The Falmouth area has unlimited paddle options, Rivers and Bays abound there.(See Picture)

"Weeds" stomping grounds around Osterville are amazing, with West Bay, North Bay & Cotuit Bay offering up lots of variety.(see Picture)

Pocasset has a wealth of protected Bays, coves and creeks.

I live in the Pleasant Bay & Nauset Marsh area. I continue to find great places to explore. Lots of Big Bays with open water, intimate creeks, of uninhabited islands to picnic and swim at & Marshes to meander through. (photos)
Nauset & Pleasant Bay area offers EVERYTHING from really small creeks to remote explorations, all within a 10 minute drive.

Chatham is a maze of beautiful waterways

So much I can't begin to touch upon....

The absolute beauty of the water, the vistas and the quaint beach front cottages that you will see, never ceases to astound me. There is no better way to see it than on a Paddle Board.

Please come here and explore. And bring your camera.

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Tour of Cape Cod Flatwater Options
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 11:56:29 PM »
Nice review Creek, you should be a travel writer.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 03:46:54 AM »
Beautiful! Awesome place. How'd you get the pilot to go up to get that last one?  :)
Bunch of old shit

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 07:50:19 AM »
Wow!! Thanks for the great photos. Looks like we should have stayed a few more days. Next time, less work, more paddle!

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 09:02:03 AM »
supthecreek, loved the photo essay.  Having spent my summers growing up in Eastham and Orleans, the photos brought me right back.  One of my favorite paddles when I'm back on vacation in the summer is Hemenway landing to the Outer via Nauset Harbor.   I wish I had my BARK out there to do some longer tours on Big and Little Pleasant Bay.  Great stuff, and a paddlers paradise.

I love the surfing and the open ocean paddling in Santa Cruz, but there are times when I long for scenic flatwater tours in beautiful places like the marshes and creeks of the Cape.

CTsupper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 09:19:21 AM »
Great write up and beautiful photos-- thanks! Hope it inspires more people to give us a little tour of their favorite local water. The aerial shots really help too- awesome addition.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 09:21:26 AM »
creek, you gotta show me some of these spots.  i've pretty much just been launching from the paines creek area in brewster but it's getting a little old.  these areas look so inviting.  if the rain holds off, i plan on going out tonight around 5PM and then again around 6AM tomorrow morning.  PM me if you're around.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:18:06 PM by andygere »

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 07:26:01 AM »
andygere - thanks for the maps and tips, will definitely check those out soon.

Thanks to a tip from supthecreek, i got in an awesome early morning training paddle in a beautiful location, perfect glass, no wind, no boats, just me, some egrets and gulls.  met up with supthecreek as i was paddling back.  the cape really does have some amazing bodies of water.

jimbro

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 08:22:24 AM »
wasnt there a huge great white in one of those bays a few years back?

did anyone ever run into it or see it?

does it happen often?

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 08:46:03 AM »
it wasn't huge by white shark size, i think it was only around 12', so actually on the smaller side for a white.  i'm sure it will become more common, as the Cape (Monomoy in particular) is slowly becoming a popular white shark hang-out.

here's some vids from whitey in the pond: 

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/marinefisheriesnotices/white_shark.htm

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 09:13:35 AM »
kaydogg
Nice to meet you this morning... glad you got a nice day for the River.
(I got some great shots today)
The one you are talking about was down in "localkine" territory... in a small cove off Woods Hole.

Jimbro
This may be what you were referring to (see pic).... ugh... right in my favorite remote paddle spots :-\

The next shot I took in March, looking right where the critter was... the higher island just to the left of the board is the spot.... 200 yards away. :o

Like Kaydogg said... lots of Whites get tagged just outside the inlet in Chatham... where the surf is ::)....Great White's are becoming a big business in the tourist shops.

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 09:23:51 AM »
andygere
i use my surf sups to paddle the bays etc.
Usually the 10'8 Cabrinha
If my kids are with me, I use my 9'6 Allwave.
Don't go to fast but I go pretty far...

When you are around, give me a shout. I'll let you use my 10'8... it's a pretty good bay cruiser

I'm such a photo nut I'm going to throw down one from today... just after I met kayadogg

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 10:17:53 AM »
Hi Rick:

I not sure I'm following you; did you see a shark in Pleasant Bay??

RC

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 10:38:49 AM »
Sup, I'll be on Cape the middle 2 weeks of August, and I'll be bringing my Uli.  I'd love to get out and do a paddle with you.  Today's photo of the River is great, I spent so much time in that area growing up, fishing, skiing behind my 13' Whaler, the whole deal.  What town on the Cape do you live?

The shark video behind Strong I. creeps me out a bit.  I had heard about it, but didn't realize that it was documented and really true.  I used to do some striper fishing back there, and I'm sure we've taken some swims off the boat in that area over the years.  Things are really different now that the seals are back, and not in such a good way for folks that get in the water.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal